Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might fit here. I would bet this similar to what the GenII will have for heat/AC controls.

We bought a new 2016 HR-V today and it has a touch screen controls
Car off. It's just a black panel

Car on

It responds like a smart phone, you can swipe your finger and go from off to all the way on or just tap and move one increment at a time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Looks interesting. Be sure to tell us how you like it once you use it day to day.

One thing that drove me crazy when I got my 2010 as opposed to my original '06 was that one control didn't control both driver and passenger side temps. I'll never understand why they dropped that function. Why make it so you ALWAYS have to adjust both sides when most of the time most of us are in the vehicle by ourselves and just want to keep the whole truck the same temp. Nutty.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
We almost bought one too but we're holding out for the turbo. Just not enough power being used to a 3.5. Decent stylish offering from Honda that rides nice.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks interesting. Be sure to tell us how you like it once you use it day to day.

One thing that drove me crazy when I got my 2010 as opposed to my original '06 was that one control didn't control both driver and passenger side temps. I'll never understand why they dropped that function. Why make it so you ALWAYS have to adjust both sides when most of the time most of us are in the vehicle by ourselves and just want to keep the whole truck the same temp. Nutty.
This is the wife's vehicle. To be honest I like the simple 3 nobs for heat/AC controls. But this does have it so you can set a temp and it does what needs to be done to keep it there. This is new tech for Honda so I'm sure the new Ridge will have some form of this not to mention the push button start and maybe even paddle shifters...or not :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I always found the controls clumsy and think this is progress. Less knobs looks way cleaner and is probably more user friendly.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I prefer controls that provide tactile feedback. I hate being forced to look at controls to adjust them. I miss the click.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer controls that provide tactile feedback. I hate being forced to look at controls to adjust them. I miss the click.
Agreed

One of the things I like about the Ridgeline is the big easy to deal with when you have gloves on knobs. I've had it long enough I don't have to look, just reach over and adjust. Sometime function takes a back seat to form.

Another thing it does have is "Lane Watch" there's a camera in the passenger side rear view mirror. When you make a right turn and use the blinker the infotainment screen show the right lane next to you. There is also a button on the tip of the blinker stalk that you can turn in on/off so if you are driving in busy traffic you can turn it on and see what's in the "Blind spot" It has guidance lines also

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
I think Dodge/Ram started the push toward larger knob and buttons in the trucks over a decade ago, reasoning that many people would be wearing work gloves while operating their trucks. Ford and Chevy soon followed suit. I think the controls we get in the Ridgeline will reflect what Honda thinks the market should want. The engineers of the original RL were no dummies, and they designed the truck to compete well in the market (other than appearance of the latter half of the vehicle). If the same engineers are working on RL2, I would lean toward it having the "no-look" knobs.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Capacitance switches. I really dislike them - you have to look where you're placing your finger, there's no tactile feedback to "pressing" a switch, and they show fingerprints. Plus you can't use them while wearing gloves.

Chip H.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Tactile Response rules over Anonymous Feeling every and any day!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Optimum solution in my mind: The tactile feel & simplicity of my single large dial (all I use) with center button..... this is the "auto" button & just turn the knob to set temp. Done! I love it. (dual zone climate control on '06 RTL)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Personally, I really disliked the touchscreen in my Civic. It's clumsy and not very user friendly. Luckily the steering wheel control was pretty intuitive. The controls on the Uconnect 8.4 on my Grand Cherokee are much more comfortable to use. Honda needs to incorporate something similar.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I appreciate the large and heavy duty switch-gear in the Ridgeline, gets away from any kind of fragility and the feeling you can just throw stuff in the RL. Nevertheless, expecting a screen of some sort, like the Colorado and Frontier have. Not sure what middle ground is, but hope Honda finds it.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just for kicks I tried leather and fleece gloves and neither worked on the touch screen. That could be an issue for the people in the cold weather states...like me

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Just for kicks I tried leather and fleece gloves and neither worked on the touch screen. That could be an issue for the people in the cold weather states...like me
They do make texting gloves (got some for the wife). No, they are not the fingerless gloves, but they do have a small metallic fabric on the fingertip.

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
They do make texting gloves (got some for the wife). No, they are not the fingerless gloves, but they do have a small metallic fabric on the fingertip.
You are certainly enabling her addiction.:act024:

·
Registered
175 Posts
That is one thing that drives me nuts in my F150- I have the 8 inch touch screen, and it has controls for every facet of normal operations, and it has analog redundancy for all the environmental controls except for the seats. Ford did however listen to their customers and added analog switches for the seats in the '15s. Also, the oversized display is nice for these "old eyes".

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
I really liked the HR-V when I drove one. I thought it was decently quiet, rode very well, is reasonably priced, and very well laid out. The one thing that stuck out was how underpowered it felt for anything other than "putting around town". The 1.8L Civic engine is almost underpowered by today's standards in the Civic, not to mention the larger HR-V. I really feel sorry for other countrys' HR-Vs that get the 1.5L Fit engine! However, those HR-Vs have more tech features - like dual zone climate control that we don't get here.

Capacitive touch screens don't bother me - particularly for automatic climate control systems that don't require the constant fiddling to maintain a stable temperature like manual systems do. Now, if this were a full manual system, things would be quite different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts