Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday a friend (a Toyota Tacoma owner) saw my 2021 Ridgeline Sport for the first time and commented positively on "the aggressive tires" Honda fits as standard equipment (the Firestone Destination LE2). So maybe Honda successfully pulled off the illusion they were shooting for when they had Firestone make an OEM version of the LE2 tire with that little bit of aggressive-looking tread on the outer edge. Anyone else had a mate comment on the appearance of the Firestone tires?

·
Registered
660 Posts
If we are being perfectly honest, most people don't use their "tools" to the fullest extent. You have people who use a drill once or twice a year go and buy a dewalt because they think it's the best or because it's the right color. There is just no way for anyone to make a truly informed decision about almost anything. We just make a decision that seems good to us at the time usually based on some very simplistic criteria because in truth that's about all we can manage for most things. How something looks is way up top of the list for many decisions regardless of how poor a selection criteria it might or might not be.

I'd like to think that I will set that aside for major purchases where some real resources are on the line, but last time we bought appliances for our kitchen looks was the main deciding factor. I'm certain we could have made a better purchase if "we" would have relaxed our standards in the looks department, but we didn't. So now we have a sometimes leaky dishwasher because the construction is cheap and the seal and door tolerances are junk, and our ice maker clogs all the time, but oh well. It looks nice. I have fixed our 20+ year old washer and dryer 2 or 3 times now in an effort to avoid buying a newer washer and dryer ever. I'm almost certain the ones that look the best are probably no where near the quality of the plain white ones we have now. :)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, Pacific Pewter
156 Posts
If we are being perfectly honest, most people don't use their "tools" to the fullest extent. You have people who use a drill once or twice a year go and buy a dewalt because they think it's the best or because it's the right color. There is just no way for anyone to make a truly informed decision about almost anything. We just make a decision that seems good to us at the time usually based on some very simplistic criteria because in truth that's about all we can manage for most things. How something looks is way up top of the list for many decisions regardless of how poor a selection criteria it might or might not be.

I'd like to think that I will set that aside for major purchases where some real resources are on the line, but last time we bought appliances for our kitchen looks was the main deciding factor. I'm certain we could have made a better purchase if "we" would have relaxed our standards in the looks department, but we didn't. So now we have a sometimes leaky dishwasher because the construction is cheap and the seal and door tolerances are junk, and our ice maker clogs all the time, but oh well. It looks nice. I have fixed our 20+ year old washer and dryer 2 or 3 times now in an effort to avoid buying a newer washer and dryer ever. I'm almost certain the ones that look the best are probably no where near the quality of the plain white ones we have now. :)
I appreciate all of your thoughts, but I have found in the past 10 years that I very often suffer from “analysis paralysis” when making purchases, and that is seldom based on appearance.

Instead thanks to countless reviews and videos online, I’m often debating much more granularly about features and utility.

Regardless of product or cost I always want the most functional and reliable, whether a blender or vehicle.

I suppose that also comes a bit with age, and being fortunate enough to be able to shop around with just a small concern about price, and have seldom been forced to make an “emergency” purchase.

Sadly though, I do agree that far too many Americans are making “lifestyle” purchases.

And I agree with the OP that Honda’s new Firestones are probably very effective in that regard, and obviously designed for just that.

Heck, I’ll admit that I like the way they look, but also would be glad that they are just road tires if I were shopping a ‘21 Ridgeline.

And maybe my quest for functionality is just a different “lifestyle” purchase.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I appreciate all of your thoughts, but I have found in the past 10 years that I very often suffer from “analysis paralysis” when making purchases, and that is seldom based on appearance."
------
I get that, I often have the same issue. I can agonize over major purchases to no end. But you are right, there's no paralysis regarding appearance. It's simple - no matter how good it is, I won't drive an ugly vehicle. I have to like it's looks. Thus, for example, no matter how good the latest generation Mazda Miata is, it's too damn ugly for me to trade my '91 in on. However, I also won't buy "" the world's most beautiful car" (whatever that is) if it's engineering is crap.

"Instead thanks to countless reviews and videos online, I’m often debating much more granularly about features and utility.

Regardless of product or cost I always want the most functional and reliable, whether a blender or vehicle."
-----
+1 on that! But so many online reviews are by self-professed "experts" who don't have the long-term knowledge to accurately assess a vehicle (or any other product).

"I suppose that also comes a bit with age, and being fortunate enough to be able to shop around with just a small concern about price, and have seldom been forced to make an “emergency” purchase.

Sadly though, I do agree that far too many Americans are making “lifestyle” purchases."
-----
I don't understand what a "lifestyle" is and why something I purchase enhances such a thing. :)

"And I agree with the OP that Honda’s new Firestones are probably very effective in that regard, and obviously designed for just that.

Heck, I’ll admit that I like the way they look, but also would be glad that they are just road tires if I were shopping a ‘21 Ridgeline."
------
Definitely just road tires with a fancied-up outer tread.

"And maybe my quest for functionality is just a different “lifestyle” purchase."
------
I guess our "lifestyle" is "dull, boring, functional and practical". :)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,677 Posts
My brother has Nitto Grapplers on his Tacoma, he barely noticed the Firestones.

• Haha
Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well all tires that are “all weather” are a compromise. I ran AWTs on my vehicles for about 20 years living in the upper Midwest and never got stuck in snow (well once, but I pulled into a ditch by accident with my FWD vehicle).

I had fairly aggressive tires on my Tacoma (Wranglers), but only did some light offroading once when I had it. I’m sure the LE2s would have done fine, in fact planning on taking the RL out on the same fire road in the Black Hills this fall.

The road worthiness of the LE2s is hard to beat though. I’d be hard-pressed to want to change them out to something more aggressive with the number of highway miles I put on mine for work and vacation.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I appreciate all of your thoughts, but I have found in the past 10 years that I very often suffer from “analysis paralysis” when making purchases, and that is seldom based on appearance.
I've been there too. That's the other side of the coin. I would say the segment of the population that gets into analysis paralysis is probably a significantly smaller segment, but it's easy to do if you're the analytical sort. Also, that's not the sort of customer that is easy to cater to, so not a ton of value in trying for most mass market type products.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Took my Ridgeline down a gravel road on Saturday...tires did just fine. The Camry in front of me also must have had off road tires, because they made it too. LOL! :)

The defination of Utility is something that is fit for use and fit for purpose. That describes the Ridgeline perfectly. It's not an off road vehicle. When it's time for new tires, I'll get the best road tire I can find for it. Something with great wet traction, that's quiet, and handles well.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
275 Posts
My G1 has some Goodyear Forterras that looked stock when they were clean but now that they have some dirt they actually look better than stock and kinda aggressive

20210719_145617.jpg

·
Registered
303 Posts
Took my Ridgeline down a gravel road on Saturday...tires did just fine. The Camry in front of me also must have had off road tires, because they made it too. LOL! :)

The defination of Utility is something that is fit for use and fit for purpose. That describes the Ridgeline perfectly. It's not an off road vehicle. When it's time for new tires, I'll get the best road tire I can find for it. Something with great wet traction, that's quiet, and handles well.
Yes I agree a utility vehicle is a good term. Suburban Utility Vehicle LOL...

As far as Offroad, depends on what you mean. I think the Ridgeline would do fine in most offroad situations--gravel, dirt, sand, even snow--unless it is extreme, which usually involves rock-crawling. If you actually need a locking axle, that's a place you would not want to take a Ridgeline.

·
Registered
643 Posts
As far as Offroad, depends on what you mean. I think the Ridgeline would do fine in most offroad situations--gravel, dirt, sand, even snow--unless it is extreme, which usually involves rock-crawling. If you actually need a locking axle, that's a place you would not want to take a Ridgeline.
Reminds me of an old college roommate I had. He drove a 2WD Nissan Hardbody. Basic model. 4 popper, manual transmission, vinyl seats, manual locks, manual windows. Only option he had was air conditioning. He prided himself on what he could take that little truck through and not get stuck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Reminds me of an old college roommate I had. He drove a 2WD Nissan Hardbody. Basic model. 4 popper, manual transmission, vinyl seats, manual locks, manual windows. Only option he had was air conditioning. He prided himself on what he could take that little truck through and not get stuck.
Back when I had my Tacoma, I and my BIL went on a fire trail in the Black Hills. I thought it was pretty gnarly, but when I mentioned this to my BIL, he told me he had seen a Crosstrek traversing that same trail the day before when he was mountain biking.

Ground clearance and slow and steady is often the key to those situations.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So yesterday a friend (a Toyota Tacoma owner) saw my 2021 Ridgeline Sport for the first time and commented positively on "the aggressive tires" Honda fits as standard equipment (the Firestone Destination LE2). So maybe Honda successfully pulled off the illusion they were shooting for when they had Firestone make an OEM version of the LE2 tire with that little bit of aggressive-looking tread on the outer edge. Anyone else had a mate comment on the appearance of the Firestone tires?
Just please don’t get in front of me w fake AT tires off-road 🤦🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just please don’t get in front of me w fake AT tires off-road 🤦🏼‍♂️
No worries, I think most of us understand perfectly that a Ridgeline is just a "gentleman's pickup" not intended for any kind of serious off-roading. But then you also know someone idiot will try it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
No worries, I think most of us understand perfectly that a Ridgeline is just a "gentleman's pickup" not intended for any kind of serious off-roading. But then you also know someone idiot will try it!
Honda actually promotes it! Right from the Honda website:

·
Administrator
19,591 Posts
Honda actually promotes it! Right from the Honda website: View attachment 415875
That's surveillance camera footage of an old codger that just left a piano bar in his Ridgeline after having too many martinis and ran off the road while trying to figure out how to listen to Percy Faith and his Orchestra through Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You seem to really not like the Ridgeline, why did you buy one again?
Bc we had a family member who committed suicide by jumping out of a Ranger Lariat at highway speed. I was driving. Could never drive it again.

Truck only had 2400 miles on it. The only dealer who would work with me was the Honda dealer on the trade. It was just about an even trade as they barely hit me for the depreciation the first time the tires hit the pavement. The Ranger was also sold while I was sitting there (a friend drove it to the dealership). So they had to work the deal.

That’s how I ended up w it. I always find it hilarious that when you call the Ridgeline what it is, all the Ridgeline owners ballyhoo about it, but then turn around and say it’s what 90% of truck buyers need, thereby acknowledging the shortcomings that they just ballyhooed about. 💁🏼

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.