Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been several threads here and at the Element forum concerning Honda Oil Filters and filters in general. Some guy at the Element forum did some extensive testing and found that Honda filters made by Honeywell (AO2) were not very good but that the 15400-PLM-AO1A was among the very best. He cut these filters open, along with a bunch of other brands, and rated them as to their various attributes. Surprisingly, the highly regarded Mobil One filter was not rated very well but the AO1A was found to be the "best".

It seems everyone at the Element forum was running around trying to buy the AO1s but they quickly learned that they were being replaced by the Honeywell made filter (AO2). I checked a dealer in my part of Texas and all he had was the Honeywell. I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference but I thought if I ever ran accross any AO1s I would buy a couple. Well, I'm visiting relatives in upstate NY right now and went by a Honda dealer to show my brother what my Ridgeline looks like. Needless to say he loved it and wants one himself but that is another story.

I went to the parts department while my brother was looking at the display model and sure enough they had the AO1 filter (made by Nippon). When I saw it I asked the parts manager if this thing should be in a lawn mower rather than a truck because it is so tiny. He laughed and assured me it would fit the Ridge.

The parts manager had mostly Honeywells but did have some Nippons so I bought a couple, with washers, for about $6.50 each (he said they were cheaper than the Honeywells). Now here is the question. I asked him about the difference between the Honeywell and Nippon and he said he did not really know but that he sells whatever Honda sends him and has had no complaints with either filter. However, he did say that if a Honda is in warranty and there is an oil filter on the engine other than one of the Honda filters, either made by Nippon or Honeywell, the warranty would be voided (this of course assumes the problem is traced to an oil issue). I was surprised to hear that.

Does anyone know if this is true? Is there fine print anywhere that says only Honda filters can be used or risk the loss of warranty? I don't have my warranty books with me as they are back in Texas but I was wondering if anyone could look and see if this is mentioned anywhere.

L

·
0 Posts
shortspark said:
There have been several threads here and at the Element forum concerning Honda Oil Filters and filters in general. Some guy at the Element forum did some extensive testing and found that Honda filters made by Honeywell (AO2) were not very good but that the 15400-PLM-AO1A was among the very best. He cut these filters open, along with a bunch of other brands, and rated them as to their various attributes. Surprisingly, the highly regarded Mobil One filter was not rated very well but the AO1A was found to be the "best".

It seems everyone at the Element forum was running around trying to buy the AO1s but they quickly learned that they were being replaced by the Honeywell made filter (AO2). I checked a dealer in my part of Texas and all he had was the Honeywell. I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference but I thought if I ever ran accross any AO1s I would buy a couple. Well, I'm visiting relatives in upstate NY right now and went by a Honda dealer to show my brother what my Ridgeline looks like. Needless to say he loved it and wants one himself but that is another story.

I went to the parts department while my brother was looking at the display model and sure enough they had the AO1 filter (made by Nippon). When I saw it I asked the parts manager if this thing should be in a lawn mower rather than a truck because it is so tiny. He laughed and assured me it would fit the Ridge.

The parts manager had mostly Honeywells but did have some Nippons so I bought a couple, with washers, for about $6.50 each (he said they were cheaper than the Honeywells). Now here is the question. I asked him about the difference between the Honeywell and Nippon and he said he did not really know but that he sells whatever Honda sends him and has had no complaints with either filter. However, he did say that if a Honda is in warranty and there is an oil filter on the engine other than one of the Honda filters, either made by Nippon or Honeywell, the warranty would be voided (this of course assumes the problem is traced to an oil issue). I was surprised to hear that.

Does anyone know if this is true? Is there fine print anywhere that says only Honda filters can be used or risk the loss of warranty? I don't have my warranty books with me as they are back in Texas but I was wondering if anyone could look and see if this is mentioned anywhere.
Let me see if I am getting this straight. If you go to a dealer and they put one of THEIR oil filters on the vehicle and there is an oil issue, the warranty is void if it has a dealer installed oil filter?
Is that right or am I reading this wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
shortspark said:
However, he did say that if a Honda is in warranty and there is an oil filter on the engine other than one of the Honda filters, either made by Nippon or Honeywell, the warranty would be voided (this of course assumes the problem is traced to an oil issue). I was surprised to hear that.

Simply hogwash. Either he's badly misinformed or lying thru his teeth. Wonder if he'd say the same about using non-Honda oil that's still the spec'd 5w-20.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Ladyridge, what he was saying is that if there is a non-Honda filter on the engine (such as Fram, Napa, Mobile One, etc.) it would void the warranty. If the dealer puts on a filter it will be a Honda filter of course. Like Vertrkr, I think this is hogwash too.

L

·
0 Posts
shortspark said:
No Ladyridge, what he was saying is that if there is a non-Honda filter on the engine (such as Fram, Napa, Mobile One, etc.) it would void the warranty. If the dealer puts on a filter it will be a Honda filter of course. Like Vertrkr, I think this is hogwash too.
Some dealers will sell non-Honda parts. They can offer the Honda part or an off brand if they so choose to stock both but they should be telling you that the non-Honda part will be not be covered by the warranty and that would make the dealer responsible.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
The bottom line is that neither Honda nor the dealer can void any warranty unless they can PROVE that the non-Honda part CAUSED the failure.

If they can PROVE that a brand X oil filter failed and that caused your engine to lock up then they can void the warranty. This has happened in the past with some Chrysler vehilces that were using a XXXX oil filter. The oil filter could not take the high pressure and would burst. After a few rounds of litigation the oil filter manufacturer ended up paying for a bunch of engines (along with loss of use, etc.).

If you're looking for the old Honda filter made by Filtech (the good one everyone likes) I know someone that has a large quantity of them. We will start selling them soon at a very reasonable price in quantities of 4 to those who want them.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, Trevor (I think that is H&A's rep here) provided the answer proof positive with that link.

Cismo - is that Filtrec filter the same as Nippon? The one everyone at the Element forum talked about was the AO1A, which is the one I bought from the dealer here in Rochester, NY and it is made in Malyasia by Nippon. Let us know when you plan on selling those Filtrecs (as long as they are the AO1s).

The Nippon filter does not mention "Filtrec" anywhere on the case but it is blue and tiny like the Honeywell AO2 and there is a bunch of Japanesse on it as well as English instructions. In any event, it says AO1 on it so it is the good one.

According to that Element forum thread I spoke about earlier, H&A found a couple hundred of those AO1 filters somewhere although at one time they only had the Honeywell AO2s. Maybe Trevor can tell us if they still have some left since the filter on their website can not be read as to the serial numbers. The Element thread also mentioned that although you might not be able to find the AO1s at Honda car dealers, you might be able to find them still at Honda lawn equipment dealers so that may be another option as well.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
shortspark said:
Cismo - is that Filtrec filter the same as Nippon? The one everyone at the Element forum talked about was the AO1A, which is the one I bought from the dealer here in Rochester, NY and it is made in Malyasia by Nippon. Let us know when you plan on selling those Filtrecs (as long as they are the AO1s).
No, the Nippon filter is yet a different filter than the Filtech or Honeywell (Fram). I've not seen the Nippon filter dissassembled as of yet so it's of unknown quality.

We will start selling the original, high quality, Honda 15400-PLM-A01 (Filtech) filters on Wednesday.

-Joe

·
Registered
419 Posts
Have cut apart the orginal "Filtec" oil filter from my first oil change a few weekends ago...will post the picture in here soon. Also just received the oil analyis from Blackstone Laboratories... as soon as possible will share the results on this site (6,863 miles and HAL still showed 5% oil life left) but you'll see it was right on the edge on the TBN numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I found an old Consumer Reports magazine that I remembered had tested all automotive oil filters.

Their tests indicated that Fram was the best automotive filter on the market.
All tests, especially the filtration of particles a few microns in size were superior to all other filters tested.

Article is five years old and filters today may be better but I planned on using a Fram oil filter on my RTL before I started reading this thread.

Any comments on Fram oil filters, good or bad ?

Thanks.

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
There are few things in life that are absolue, but you hit one one. There's no doubt that the standard Fram oil filters are JUNK. Fram does make one good line of filters, but the name escapes me right now.

There are several oil filter studies on the Internet. Some are pretty good. At least two that I know of are based on the Honda oil filters.

I don't know what Consumer Reports tested. I admire them overall, but sometimes they miss the point completely.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
So much for the Fram oil filter.

Thats the info I needed.
Will keep watching this thread for all the excellent advice and everyone's experiences.

Great site.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
104 Posts
Honda A01 vs Bosch Prem Oil Filters

I see that the Bosch Premium oil filters (#3323 for RL @ $5.99 AutoZone) claims the following ...

"Bosch Premium oil filters feature Bosch FILTECH utilizing an exclusive blend of natural and synthetic materials to provide superior oil filtration and increased engine wear protection.
The Bosch FILTECH filtering area is up to 42% larger than conventional filters. Plus, the filter media is close to 30% thicker, and can screen out more harmful contaminants than a conventional filter."

I wonder if this is the same design used in the Honda 15400-PLM-A01 (Filtech) filter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Filtech filter (which ended with "305") was what I originally used on my wife's CRV. I swithed to an AC filter when the Honda Filtech was no longer available. Recently, the AC filter cheaped out and now looks like the STP, Bosch, etc.. So I went searching for a replacement.

I learned that when the Filtech was discontinued and replaced by the others, Honda decided to begin importing a special one for the S2000 made by Rikkor (sp?) in Japan. I just purchased one from the dealer, who admitted that it was the same fit and could be used. I have not seen the inside, but looks and feels (it's heavy) like a good filter. I don't have the filter number with me or I'd post it.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
JungleJim said:
The Filtech filter (which ended with "305") was what I originally used on my wife's CRV. I swithed to an AC filter when the Honda Filtech was no longer available. Recently, the AC filter cheaped out and now looks like the STP, Bosch, etc.. So I went searching for a replacement.

I learned that when the Filtech was discontinued and replaced by the others, Honda decided to begin importing a special one for the S2000 made by Rikkor (sp?) in Japan. I just purchased one from the dealer, who admitted that it was the same fit and could be used. I have not seen the inside, but looks and feels (it's heavy) like a good filter. I don't have the filter number with me or I'd post it.
I looked up the specs on a S2000 filter a few months ago and found the relief valve pressure was much lower than the other Honda filters. The one I investigated was the HAMP filter and not a Rikkor. I thought all S2000's used a HAMP filter, but I don't keep up with the S2000 so I guess I was wrong.

Check the relief valve pressure before you use that filter!

·
Registered
762 Posts
JungleJim said:
For what it is worth the 15400-PLM-A01 filter that is currently available from Honda (and HandA) is made by Filtech. I know it is not the same as the old 305 filter (which was discontinued) but it is made by the same company. We have over 1,200 of them on hand and Honda shows 240,000.

According to the April 2004 issue of Honda's service news the PCX filter can be used in any application where the "A01/A02" filters are used. Their listing only mentions the A02 because that was the filter they were using at that time. The A02 is the one that came originally with Fram on it and then changed to Honeywell:

The S2000 filter 15400-PCX-004 is made by Toyo Roki.

According to Toyo Roki's website they are called Filtech in the US:
Honda imports the S2000 filter so it has the Toyo Roki name on it.
http://www.toyoroki.co.jp/e/oversea/index.html

-Trevor

1 - 20 of 37 Posts