Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently found on the Honda owners' site where I can see dealer performed maintenance (service records) on the truck before I got it. It is a 2018, PDI shows October of 2017. Records then show oil changes at:
6500 miles (March '18)
11700 miles (June '18)
16700 miles (August '18) - air and cabin filters done at this same time

All of these were part of the dealer's "prepaid maintenance contract". That is the last record in there for it, I got it with 25k miles on it in Feb of '19. The dealership I got it from (non-Honda) changed the oil and reset the MM while they had it. I assume it had a lot of highway miles. What has me concerned, as I sit with 31k on it now, is that there is no record of differential fluid change. As I have read on here, that normally comes on with ~15k miles. So I am thinking one of a few things happened:

1) Dealer did actually change it at some point and didn't record it (doubting this is true)
2) Dealer reset MM each time they did a change and it never got to 15% because of the large volume of hwy miles (possible, but I would think they would have reset only oil when they did this)
3) Diff code came on between 16.7k and 25k change, but since it was not Honda dealer, they did the oil, reset it and went on their merry way. Guessing they didn't go out of their way and figure out it needed rear diff fluid and if they did, did not use OEM Honda fluid to do it. (feels like what probably happened)

Planning on changing the diff fluid tomorrow and wait and see what pops at the next MM (oil currently at 30%). I guess this is part of the headache of buying a used vehicle, but what are you going to do. I did do a drain and fill of the trans at 30k miles, will probably continue to do that every 10k or so.

Anything else I might be missing that should have been done? I don't think so, but want to be sure.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
474 Posts
If in doubt. Change all fluids. Fresh start. And you can prob tell by color/smell if it’s gone too long Otherwise. You could send to lab. If you really want to know.
congratulations on the RL!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If in doubt. Change all fluids. Fresh start. And you can prob tell by color/smell if it’s gone too long Otherwise. You could send to lab. If you really want to know.
congratulations on the RL!
I assume you mean oil and diff both? I know when I got the truck and checked the oil level that it was new, fresh oil, so I feel ok about that. And as I understand it, transfer case fluid is typically around 45k. I am thinking swapping diff fluid right now and then oil should come up in the next 500-1000 miles.

I do have my stack of A01 filters, 0W-20 oil, and the OEM Honda fluids for diff and transfer case already sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went ahead and changed the rear diff and engine oil today, but didn't reset the maintenance minder. Will see what comes up when it pops again. Frankly, the rear diff fluid looked pretty good, which makes me wonder if it had been changed before. In either case, at least a little peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts