Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that standard wheels are painted or powdercoated alloy, has anyone painted the wheels? I'm looking to change the color of mine to a deep charcoal metalic. I can pick up a set on E-bay to save the stockers

·
Registered
802 Posts
DoctorJ said:
I thought about stripping the gray powder coat, high speed polish the aluminum and then clear coat.
My advice-don't try this at home! I had seen it done by professionals and figured I could do it to my MB wheels. I don't know how many hours I have in stripping, sanding and trying to polish just two wheels, but it's hundreds of hours. The problem is that the casting under the paint will be extremely rough and has to be smoothed before you even think about polishing. We're talking about starting with 150g paper rough.
That being said, I have seen people have it done professionally and they turn out looking like chrome. It's really a combination of having the right tools and experience-neither of which I had...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably easier to swap the painted wheel for the "chrome look" wheels that Honda offers.

I think that a prof' painter could make them look good and last a long time. The silver wheels on the silver truck are too much for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts