Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been so impressed with our Ridge that we are considering the Honda Pilot as a replacement for her Mercedes ML320. My questions to ROC members are: Does anyone have this vehicle and offer opinions? Where's a good place to get info on the Pilot? General ballpark figure on the going rate?

After owning the Ridge we have both come to the conclusion that the 2 Mercedes ML320's we have owned have had nothing over the Ridge in terms of quality or driving. So that has got us thinking about the Pilot.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You might try this link to Pilot forums:

Honda Pilot

·
Registered
668 Posts
Koopaindy said:
My wife and I have been so impressed with our Ridge that we are considering the Honda Pilot as a replacement for her Mercedes ML320. My questions to ROC members are: Does anyone have this vehicle and offer opinions? Where's a good place to get info on the Pilot? General ballpark figure on the going rate?

After owning the Ridge we have both come to the conclusion that the 2 Mercedes ML320's we have owned have had nothing over the Ridge in terms of quality or driving. So that has got us thinking about the Pilot.
Thanks for any input.
Along with the ridgeline my wife has 4000 miles on an 05 pilot. it in terms of design reminds us of the 2000 odyssey we traded it for. buttons and switch are very similar and they sound almost exactly the same.

As far as driving goes, big difference, very sure footed and easy to drive with so many options it is hard to pinpoint a price. the automatic 4WD works as far as I can tell the same way the ridgeline does. you will be very happy over all with the pilot.

It is a bit small feeling to me, but she loves it.

As far as pricing goes, you will have to go to the dealer and see what they have on the lot. The pilot has many configurations as far as options go. the price will depend the options, our pilot does not have the VSA and some other options that would have put the price well over 35,000. our was around 30,000. still well stocked.

Good luck

·
Registered
127 Posts
Koopaindy said:

Thanks for any input.
My sister had one and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I think her problem was the size of it. she has two kids and going anywhere with two kids and her hubby didn't leave much room for gear. They like camping a lot, they just traded it in for a big Ford (yuck:eek: ) expedition.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Have an '05 Pilot and love it!

We had a CR-V before but it was too small and under powered.

You can't go wrong with the Pilot! It's a Honda!

Hauled 7 adults the other night....Worked out great!

TL

·
Registered
127 Posts
gpruchniewski said:
My sister had one and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I think her problem was the size of it. she has two kids and going anywhere with two kids and her hubby didn't leave much room for gear. They like camping a lot, they just traded it in for a big Ford (yuck:eek: ) expedition.

OK OK OK, I'm an idiot, I'M SORRY, my sister had the CR-V, not the pilot. Don't hate me b/c I'm polish........

I re-read the post and noticed my mistake. oops.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Koopaindy,

My wife drives a 2006 Pilot and loves it while I drive a 2006 Ridgeline company car. I was going to get a Pilot company car like my partner but when we decided the Pilot fit her needs I went with the Ridgeline. I'm so glad I did that. I love my Ridge. We have a popup camper and will use the Ridgeline to go camping since it can pull more weight.

Anyway, back to the Pilot. I brought one home as a demo and tried getting 3 booster seats in it and it was no problem. With the 3rd row, we haven't had to put all 3 in a row yet. That was one requirement she had along with 3 point belts in all positions. Another requirement was side curtain airbags for all 3 rows. When we started our quest for a vehicle, we had to rule out the 2005 Pilot because of the airbags. After driving the Pilot, she never wanted to look at or drive another. Our search was done.

The Pilot rides really great. We haven't taken it on a trip yet but will do that this weekend for a family (her side) Christmas get together in Indiana. Since it's only over the weekend, we won't have to pack a ton of stuff but we will get an idea of the room we have. We are used to driving an Expedition to travel so I know we will have less. If it looks like a problem, I'll get a carrier for the roof for added room.

I just installed running boards and rear splash guards that I got from H and A and they make it much easier for my 4yo and 7yo to get in and out.

As for pricing, we got ours in November. The dealer initially gave me a price of $33869 plus t&l&fees with no accessories for a 4WD EX-L with Navi. I told him he was way high and he came back with $32158 which he said was $100 under invoice. I told him he was still too high (I had a price from another dealer) and told him if he got to $31750 plus t&L (no fees) he had a deal. He came back with $31900 plus t&l. I decided that was close enough and went for it.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
220 Posts
My wife has always been into Honda's so she got her 2003 Pilot the month it came out. It has been nothing short of amazing. Comfortable interior, lots of room and storage space, better than average mpg for it's size, and lots more. We used it to tow a Uhaul weighing 3000 lbs from Memphis to Philly and while driving I could not tell we were pulling anything. I have used her Pilot in really bad winter weather when I knew my little car would not have made it and it handled so well that I decided to get a Honda for myself. As far as safety goes - my aunt had a 2003 Pilot and was involved in a head on crash both going 40 to 50 mpg after another driver lost control and crossed the yellow line. My aunt and cousin were in the Pilot and both walked away with seatbelt marks and some minor burns on their arms from the airbag deployment. The other driver needed to be cut out of her SUV. Needless to say my aunt replaced her Pilot with a new one. I was very uneasy getting a first year model in 2003 when she picked up the Pilot but we have had NO issues at all - another reason I had no hesitation getting the Ridgeline the first year it came out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
RidgeInTheVille said:
Koopaindy,

My wife drives a 2006 Pilot and loves it while I drive a 2006 Ridgeline company car. I was going to get a Pilot company car like my partner but when we decided the Pilot fit her needs I went with the Ridgeline. I'm so glad I did that. I love my Ridge. We have a popup camper and will use the Ridgeline to go camping since it can pull more weight.

Anyway, back to the Pilot. I brought one home as a demo and tried getting 3 booster seats in it and it was no problem. With the 3rd row, we haven't had to put all 3 in a row yet. That was one requirement she had along with 3 point belts in all positions. Another requirement was side curtain airbags for all 3 rows. When we started our quest for a vehicle, we had to rule out the 2005 Pilot because of the airbags. After driving the Pilot, she never wanted to look at or drive another. Our search was done.

The Pilot rides really great. We haven't taken it on a trip yet but will do that this weekend for a family (her side) Christmas get together in Indiana. Since it's only over the weekend, we won't have to pack a ton of stuff but we will get an idea of the room we have. We are used to driving an Expedition to travel so I know we will have less. If it looks like a problem, I'll get a carrier for the roof for added room.

I just installed running boards and rear splash guards that I got from H and A and they make it much easier for my 4yo and 7yo to get in and out.

As for pricing, we got ours in November. The dealer initially gave me a price of $33869 plus t&l&fees with no accessories for a 4WD EX-L with Navi. I told him he was way high and he came back with $32158 which he said was $100 under invoice. I told him he was still too high (I had a price from another dealer) and told him if he got to $31750 plus t&L (no fees) he had a deal. He came back with $31900 plus t&l. I decided that was close enough and went for it.

Hope this helps
The Pilot has added 3 row Side Curtain Airbags for 2006, along with a bit of a styling refresh and a 2WD model w/ Variable Cylinder Management (+2 MPG).

·
Registered
479 Posts
gpruchniewski said:
she has two kids and going anywhere with two kids and her hubby didn't leave much room for gear. They like camping a lot, they just traded it in for a big Ford (yuck:eek: ) expedition.
And that's what's wrong with this country. Since when is 4,000lb SUV not enough room for 4 people? Since Detroit got us Americans believing bigger is always better. (because they couldn't compete in the small vehicle market)

And we wonder why gas is so high.

Remember the old days? Families of 6 survived with just one family sedan for the entire family. Now, families have not one, but TWO vehicles, one of which is usally bigger than they need. And the other is insufficent somewhow.

Oh, the good old days.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
953 Posts
fins2theright said:
And that's what's wrong with this country. Since when is 4,000lb SUV not enough room for 4 people? Since Detroit got us Americans believing bigger is always better. (because they couldn't compete in the small vehicle market)

And we wonder why gas is so high.

Remember the old days? Families of 6 survived with just one family sedan for the entire family. Now, families have not one, but TWO vehicles, one of which is usally bigger than they need. And the other is insufficent somewhow.

Oh, the good old days.:rolleyes:
Go back and read again, he reposted it was a CR-V, not a Pilot.

·
Registered
479 Posts
gpruchniewski said:
OK OK OK, I'm an idiot, I'M SORRY, my sister had the CR-V, not the pilot. Don't hate me b/c I'm polish........

I re-read the post and noticed my mistake. oops.
Thanks Doctor. My mistake, I responed to the first post before scrolling down to the re-post. None the less, I believe my coments probably apply to some family somwehre in the country.:)

And still, a CRV for 4 people with camping gear is probably doable for some. But if they could afford an excursion and the gas, then more power to them.

Sorry about that.

fins

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
fins2theright said:
My mistake, I responed to the first post before scrolling down to the re-post.
Easy to do with the traffic here lately.

My wife loves her '03 Pilot. It's much more comfortable than the Ridgeline, and is the vacation vehicle of choice. She would only trade it for a new one, but that will be a while. It only has 65K on it now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
jeffro said:
The Pilot has added 3 row Side Curtain Airbags for 2006, along with a bit of a styling refresh and a 2WD model w/ Variable Cylinder Management (+2 MPG).
Yeah I know that's why I got a 2006 Pilot. It was the 2005 that we took off our list. When the 2006 came out and had the side curtain, we put it back on the list and bought it. I do wish the 4WD had the VCM too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RidgeInTheVille said:
Yeah I know that's why I got a 2006 Pilot. It was the 2005 that we took off our list. When the 2006 came out and had the side curtain, we put it back on the list and bought it. I do wish the 4WD had the VCM too.

Thanks for the info. The side curtains airbags are a big selling feature since we have 2 tiny tots. I'll look into this vehicle more seriously now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts