Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Autobeat Daily:
Longtime diesel holdout Honda Motor Co. is developing new diesel engines for its larger vehicles in the U.S., Honda CEO Takeo Fukui tells Automotive News. Fukui says Honda can’t simply borrow a diesel engine from its European lineup because the powerplant can’t be economically modified to meet U.S. or Japanese emission standards. Fukui has said Honda might offer a V-6 diesel engine in North America.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Hmmm. A V6 turbodiesel would be nice for fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Re: Honda Plans Diesel Engine For U.S.

My concern would be if they could get the ULEV rating with a diesel engine. If they could do this I might be interested if it also improved mileage. I am still waiting on a hybrid version to really get announced then I will make my plans for the replacement of my Ridgeline for Ridgeline version 2 ;).

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Here's a good albeit oldish article about diesel usage in Europe versus the US. It's interesting that the US's stricter emission standards (although that gap is closing - Europe mandates ultra low sulphur diesel now) are employed to the detriment of better fuel economy. Less fuel burned equals less pollution right? Some Euro diesel vehicles are managing 60% better economy than the best US hybrid car.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Lingered_I said:
Here's a good albeit oldish article about diesel usage in Europe versus the US. It's interesting that the US's stricter emission standards (although that gap is closing - Europe mandates ultra low sulphur diesel now) are employed to the detriment of better fuel economy. Less fuel burned equals less pollution right? Some Euro diesel vehicles are managing 60% better economy than the best US hybrid car.
Actually wrong. Pollution is measured per mile not per gallon of fuel. It is an average per mile rating, obviously cars sitting in traffic produce pollution. This just means that per gallon burned the European vehicles produce far more pollution than the average American car, but per mile driven they probably are on par.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
To any rocket scientests out there. Can someone project the performance of the Ridgeline equipped with a diesel engine? HP, Torque, Fuel economy?

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
The only thing I can think of that would cause me to sell my current Ridgeline would be if Honda would introduce a diesel engine for the Ridgeline!

I would sell my current one and buy the diesel in a heartbeat. Sign me up for the first one (yes, I'm willing to take that chance).

-Joe

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: The article indicates the Accord would get it.

Honda Motor Co. hopes to offer diesel engines in the U.S. in the near future, reports Automotive News. CEO Takeo Fukui tells the newspaper that the automaker’s current European diesels don’t meet U.S. or Japanese emission regulations. But he expects a cost-effective solution to be achieved soon. Honda began making its own 2.2-liter four-cylinder oil burners two years ago. Last month it announced plans to hike output nearly 50% to 100,000 units per year, mostly for Europe, by 2007. If Honda offers a diesel in the U.S., it most likely will be a V-6. The Accord is the leading candidate to get such a powerplant.

Separately, AN says General Motors Corp. is considering adding diesel and gasoline V-8 engine options to its midsize Hummer H3 SUV. The 5.3-liter gasoline V-8 likely will come first in the next few years, followed by the diesel, according to the report. The base
H3, which was introduced this spring, is powered by GM's 220-hp, 3.5-liter Vortec inline five-cylinder engine.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Unless they make the diesel with an aluminum block, it's going to be a whole lot heavier than the V6. I like the curb weight just as it is today. I wish they would have added cylinder disablement, though, like on the Odyssey.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Cool throw a hybrid feature on top of that and maybe they can get over 100mpg, then sign me up.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Anybody know what mileage we might expect from a V6 Honda diesel in the Ridgeline??

Man, I bet if Honda could get even 25 or 30 in the city, they wouldn't be able to make enough of them! If a production Honda 2.2 liter engine can get 92 mpg highway, surely 25 or 30 wouldn't be unreasonable to expect for a 3.5 in the Ridge? Or would it? Heck, I'd take 20 or 25 city, 30+ on the highway and be loving it!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
And where I live, diesel fuel costs less than gasoline.

THAT SUCKS! And to think, I was hoping for something with a diesel, like the Liberty. I passed one the other day in town, it sounded so cool (that diesel "tick"). I wish someone, Daimler or otherwise, would wake up and smell the diesel fuel. Then our government (at the state level) would back off the diesel tax just a bit to help us AND the truckers who are trying to make a living.

George

·
Registered
268 Posts
Can someone project the performance of the Ridgeline equipped with a diesel engine?
Can someone project the price of the Ridgeline equipped with a diesel engine? :eek:

:)

·
Registered
856 Posts
It would have to be quiet for me to want one. I love how quiet my Ridgeline engine is - sometimes I can't tell if it is on. But I can hear some diesel trucks a few blocks away and I wonder how the driver can stand the racket!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts