Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hondas partnership with GM is gonna yield an EV in 2024! Not much news but at least its something to look forward to :)
Who knows maybe some tech will trickle into a hybrid Ridgeline

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
567 Posts
I don’t understand Honda’s strategy. They have a high performance hybrid power train in the NSX yet they chose to go to a turbo blow V6 for the high performance power train in the TLX and MDX. I know the NSX power train is too expensive but the point is Honda has set the bar when it comes to electrified, high performance power plants and I don’t understand why that design philosophy didn’t show up in the new TLX/MDX. in fact, in the case of the MDX, the electrified power train technology went backwards.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
To me, the tone of their article admits that despite beating the Prius to the hybrid market in the US, they fell behind in electrification while trying to reduce their environmental impact in other ways that didn't work out. By the time they realized they needed to electrify, they didn't have the resources to be competitive so they decided to use GM's BEV platform for now.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah tis unfortunate, they are even dropping the Honda Clarity phev and hydrogen due to poor sales ( probably shifting production towards the Electric SUV with gm)

Sad things is the handful of people I know who own the Honda Clarity PHEV love the car. I would have consider a clarity if it wasn't for street parking ie I can't build an EV charger

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,379 Posts
For something like a bike or motorcycle, I can see the advantage of all-battery.

For something larger like the Ridgeline, I really feel like that needs to be PHEV. That would be one of the few things that would get me to trade up right now.

There's at least one study out there that shows BEV will be most expensive to own, and PHEV least expensive to own, over the next few years:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts