Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading this article about 5G coming soon to a neighborhood near you when I see the FCC is releasing spectrum above 24 GHz previously reserved for military and radar use. So called millimeter radar is used by Honda for ACC and blind spot monitoring. Wonder if this could interfere with these features in the near future. Anyone have any insight as to how these wavelengths are de-conflicted?
Here's the article;
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601994/5g-wireless-is-coming-and-its-going-to-blow-you-away/?set=602023

·
Registered
182 Posts
the frequency varies, mazda uses 24 ghz for blind spot monitoring and around 76-81 ghz for radar cruise, collision avoidance. Police radar falls in the K band and is usually 24.150 GHz +/- 100 MHz. X band is 10 gigs and mostly old school Ka is around 33-36 GHz. I haven't encountered any 24GHz automotive radars triggering a radar detector. You can get a false trigger these days but it could be intermodulation (multiple carriers or 3rd multiple, etc) or a reflection , pulse, etc. most of the modern radars have DSP and wont alert to the noise. as far as the car nannies go, the antenna will be directional on the front of the car and the software will work out the rest :) we live in a world that's saturated with RF, every where you go there's a transmitting device. everything is going digital and everyone wants more speed, so they up the power, bandwidth, frequency, etc. we'll be living in a faraday cage and walking around in a lead suit soon. :) What kind of tint is on your ridgeline? that's not tint, that's an RF blocker ;)

Reactions: Clews
1 - 2 of 2 Posts