Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
34 Posts
And Piloteers too..

Last fall, my wife's 2019 Pilot EX-L AWD had some strange issue where her backup camera got stuck "on". The display would not switch back out, even after stop and restart of engine. Had to take it into dealer who just pulled a fuse I believe to cause a hard power cycle of infotainment (and or other related systems?).

My brother mentioned an issue with his 2019 Pilot Elite AWD where the MID (multi-info display on gauge cluster) went into some strange state while driving - got all glitchy and garbled up. I think that might have happened to him twice. I think there was some TSB about the "system processing too much information..." lol

I just traded my Ridge 14 RTL for a 20 RTL-E. Hope that was a good decision in the long run ;)

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,020 Posts
On 07/28/2020, there were 4 recalls issued for my '19 Odyssey for the Sliding door handle cable, Gauge Control module, Rearview camera, and OTA update issue.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Aren't some of those components shared with the RL (dashboard/rear camera)? Im surprised its not included.
I don't think it's the devices themselves, it's the new software and electronics they put in those 3 vehicles. People have been plagued by massive electronics failures, sometimes the entire dash system, head unit and more just failing.

Says they're doing a software update. It's certainly plausible that they had a massive software bug that was bricking the entire system or just causing tons of havoc while still using reliable hardware components.

For example, a backup camera staying stuck on the screen is almost certainly a software issue. Means something locked up/froze somewhere when detecting transmission position, etc. And like all things software, once that crashes, a cascading series of crashes and failures occur.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
The Odyssey, Pilot, Passport, and other Honda/Acura models that have moved to a MOST bus (optical communication between components) have been having various problems. The 2018-2020 Odyssey can experience popping/crackling/no audio due to loose connections (TSB 20-049). One of the issues (TSB 20-047) that affects the 2018-current Odyssey, Pilot, and Passport results from the MOST interface in the Gauge Control Module becoming unable to process enough information causing it to go blank or reboot randomly. This newer infotainment system and the MOST bus have been a thorn in Honda's side.

Suddenly, the Ridgeline's "outdated" infotainment system ain't lookin' too bad. ;)

This is going to be fun over at OdyClub.,
They 2019 Odyssey has been recalled 11 times already. 11 times! That's got to be a record. Can you imagine buying a brand new vehicle and having to carry it in 11 times in the first year or two of ownership for recalls alone? Astonishing. The 2019 Chrysler Pacifica has been recalled 5 times. I'm not aware of a single vehicle that has been recalled so frequently in such a short period of time (or ever for that matter) as the 2019 Odyssey. And, those are just for the safety-related problems.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,020 Posts
They 2019 Odyssey has been recalled 11 times already. 11 times! That's got to be a record. Can you imagine buying a brand new vehicle and having to carry it in 11 times in the first year or two of ownership for recalls alone? Astonishing. The 2019 Chrysler Pacifica has been recalled 5 times. I'm not aware of a single vehicle that has been recalled so frequently in such a short period of time (or ever for that matter) as the 2019 Odyssey. And, those are just for the safety-related problems.
I have owned my '19 Odyssey Elite for approximately 2yrs and currently have around 43K miles.
In this span, I have taken the van in once to get the two recalls (park Logic & Timing belt) addressed. Got a loaner for a day, and done.
Now my vin has the 5 recalls pending, including the 3rd Row recall. Once I get the communication, I will have all 4 addressed at one time.

That said, I have not encountered any of the issues for which the recalls have been issued. I have been extremely blessed with a problem free vehicle, for the amount of griping it gets at OdyClub, not to mention the 10+ recalls on paper. Funny the 9spd has not been recalled as it is the hot topic of discussion, with numerous aggravated conversations and owners.

Odyssey was late to party in 2018 (compared to the Pilot and Ridgeline) and essentially ushered in some new tech (expected issues there). I have had the indash entertainment unit overheat during an overnight drive in March (cabin temp was 72F) and it required that the vehicle be shut down, and restarted. When the rear entertainment is on and the front screen is in the Cabin View, the whole entertainment system becomes unresponsive (including the rear screen's display going blank). I found a workaround that enables me to keep driving.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
553 Posts
They 2019 Odyssey has been recalled 11 times already. 11 times! That's got to be a record. Can you imagine buying a brand new vehicle and having to carry it in 11 times in the first year or two of ownership for recalls alone?
That is crazy! We bought a new Odyssey in 2001, and drove it for 10 year with over 150k miles...
One recall in 10 years, for a transmission inspection. No work needed...
Things definetly have changed and they have work to do!

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,020 Posts
That is crazy! We bought a new Odyssey in 2001, and drove it for 10 year with over 150k miles...
One recall in 10 years, for a transmission inspection. No work needed...
Things definetly have changed and they have work to do!
Technology in a 2001 Odyssey compared to a 2018, let alone a 2020, is on far end of the spectrum. The 1999 to 2001 Odyseey 4spd transmissions were so bad that even Mike Spencer had to admit the issue with their bearings breaking apart and trashing the transmissions. There was indeed a class action settlement on those that covered upto almost 110K for some '99 to '01 units. The 5spd in the '02s had their own issues. The transmission issues of the Gen 2 Odyssey is far worse than the G5 issues. Rust was also an issue with these units, similar to the Gen3.
Like me, you probably are a lucky one.

The sheer amount of tech they are trying to pack into these vehicles are just nuts. In a Honda lineup, I think the 2020 Odyssey takes the cake for having too much tech stuffed in. Every time folks ride in our Odyssey Elite, they are blown away by the ergonomics and comfort. I remember working on my '89 Accord, then the '90 Accord, then the '93 Infiniti J30t and the '97 MBenz S430. Regardless of the automaker, the amount of technology you could see getting stuffed into these vehicles are constantly going up. There was a time, in the Gen3 Accord community, the hot topic was swapping in the ABS module from a JDM Accord and this was in the early 2000s. Now, we have cameras and radar that help the vehicle come to a stop, and resume speed without driver input.
It is all Amazing and crazy at the same time.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
553 Posts
Technology in a 2001 Odyssey compared to a 2018, let alone a 2020, is on far end of the spectrum. The 1999 to 2001 Odyseey 4spd transmissions were so bad that even Mike Spencer had to admit the issue with their bearings breaking apart and trashing the transmissions. There was indeed a class action settlement on those that covered upto almost 110K for some '99 to '01 units. The 5spd in the '02s had their own issues. The transmission issues of the Gen 2 Odyssey is far worse than the G5 issues. Rust was also an issue with these units, similar to the Gen3.
Like me, you probably are a lucky one.

The sheer amount of tech they are trying to pack into these vehicles are just nuts. In a Honda lineup, I think the 2020 Odyssey takes the cake for having too much tech stuffed in. Every time folks ride in our Odyssey Elite, they are blown away by the ergonomics and comfort. I remember working on my '89 Accord, then the '90 Accord, then the '93 Infiniti J30t and the '97 MBenz S430. Regardless of the automaker, the amount of technology you could see getting stuffed into these vehicles are constantly going up. There was a time, in the Gen3 Accord community, the hot topic was swapping in the ABS module from a JDM Accord and this was in the early 2000s. Now, we have cameras and radar that help the vehicle come to a stop, and resume speed without driver input.
It is all Amazing and crazy at the same time.
I guess we were one of the lucky ones. Because that 2001 was solid, we drove that thing everywhere. Loaded w kids. Never an issue. 🍀 😁

And why I searched high and low for a 2019 RT Ridgeline. Less tech! 👍🏻

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Roger, are the 2017 Pilot and RL's infotainment systems the same?
The hardware is very similar, but not identical. The 2017 Pilot had a fingerprint-resistant touchscreen that the 2017 Ridgeline did not. The Pilot's audio power button had green illumination instead of the Ridgeline's white. The software was also different - the Pilot's software had an app for rear seat audio while the Ridgeline's had an app for Truck Bed Audio.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The hardware is very similar, but not identical. The 2017 Pilot had a fingerprint-resistant touchscreen that the 2017 Ridgeline did not. The Pilot's audio power button had green illumination instead of the Ridgeline's white. The software was also different - the Pilot's software had an app for rear seat audio while the Ridgeline's had an app for Truck Bed Audio.
Ok, I thought the infotainment was the same on both and wondered why the RL was not recalled for issues as well. I do have issues now and then with my backup camera as well as the cross-traffic monitor. About every ten times I start my RL the cross-traffic monitor malfunctions. The first thing I did to my RL was put a glare-proof, fingerprint-resistant screen protector on that fingerprint magnet of a screen. I think I have used my truck bed audio twice in four years. LOL

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Ok, I thought the infotainment was the same on both and wondered why the RL was not recalled for issues as well. I do have issues now and then with my backup camera as well as the cross-traffic monitor. About every ten times I start my RL the cross-traffic monitor malfunctions. The first thing I did to my RL was put a glare-proof, fingerprint-resistant screen protector on that fingerprint magnet of a screen. I think I have used my truck bed audio twice in four years. LOL
The infotainment system used in the 2016-2018 Pilot is similar to the one used in the 2017-2020 Ridgeline. It is not being recalled.

The Odysseys, Pilots, and Passports being recalled have a different and newer infotainment system.

My 2017 Ridgeline's rear cross-traffic monitor failed to work more often than 10% of the time - I'd guess closer to 25-50% of the time. I just get a red X over the icon when in reverse. Restarting the vehicle would fix it for that drive cycle. At first, I thought it was because it was "getting confused" by an adjacent vehicle or metal object until I noticed it would do it even out in the open. My 2019's rear cross-traffic monitor never failed to work.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The infotainment system used in the 2016-2018 Pilot is similar to the one used in the 2017-2020 Ridgeline. It is not being recalled.

The Odysseys, Pilots, and Passports being recalled have a different and newer infotainment system.

My 2017 Ridgeline's rear cross-traffic monitor failed to work more often than 10% of the time - I'd guess closer to 25-50% of the time. I just get a red X over the icon when in reverse. Restarting the vehicle would fix it for that drive cycle. At first, I thought it was because it was "getting confused" by an adjacent vehicle or metal object until I noticed it would do it even out in the open. My 2019's rear cross-traffic monitor never failed to work.
Mine fails about ten percent of the time. It's rather dangerous, because one learns to rely on it when backing into the street, especially in areas where visibility is limited (like my ex-wife's house).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts