Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
Discussion Starter #1
For folks who have been looking for lift kits and have entertained purchases of one, I came across a company, Honda Rescue Garage HRG), advertising a 3" lift. The company is heavily talked about and discussed on Facebook.

Looked interesting, and I am just going to place it here so interested parties can do their own due diligence of research.

Web >> About us | hondarescuegarage
Facebook >> Honda Rescue Garage
G1 section of HRG >> 2006-2014 Ridgeline | hondarescuegarage

For your viewing pleasure.

Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
Funny I just saw that, the 3" is by lowering the lower carriage 1" (why the bolts and circular plates), I think the parts shown above are to resolve issues with other 2" kits???

Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
I like that look of the front bumper on that early model Gen1 and the light bar on the roof rack has a nice low profile (i.e. it doesn't stick up much higher than the roof rack). I like the look, regardless of the lift!

Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
Dumb Reasonable question of the day: Are there any practical reasons to do this or is it strictly for appearance sake?
Fixed that for ya ;) :)

Registered
There are some who take their GenI Ridgelines into some pretty serious off road areas. STUV and Baja Ridgeline are a couple of members here that come to mind. I think a 3 inch lift would probably be useful to those who are actually trying to push the limits of the Ridge's capabilities.

GenI's are becoming older and cheaper and its actually now seems reasonable to me to outfit one for modest off road adventures including heavy, higher profile puncture resistant tires, skid plates, lift, and a front bumper modification for approach angle improvement. Doing this to a $30k plus vehicle seems foolish but a cheap GenI could be fun and reasonably capable off road toy.

That said, doing the lift and other mods simply for looks seems pretty silly to me as there a plenty of negative effects to the on road handling, safety and economy.

Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
Ha, ha! I mean, does one measure a ridge in one's driveway/road and say "I need three more inches"? :unsure:
Maybe those who have the same thought in a totally different context o_O 馃ぃ

Seriously though ...
Lifts, both 'suspension' and 'body' (this 3" kit utilizing a combination of both) do indeed provide greater ground clearance (each type providing more clearance relative to different parts of the vehicle).

IF one actually uses their vehicle for certain off-road activities / sports that might have practical benefit. That may involve certain downsides for on-road use such as increased stress on certain driveline components and/or challenges relating to maintaining optimal suspension geometry relating to handling and tire-wear. Any lift will definitely increase the height of the center of gravity and roll-center of the vehicle which will have adverse consequences under certain conditions.

I'm more than confident offering the opinion that very (very) few lift-kit buyers actually use their vehicles in a way that actually realizes the benefits of a lift. Vendors of lift kits fully recognize that the vast majority of their customers enjoy their products for reasons relating to form, not function (and those vendors are more than thankful for the fans of that styling trend who keep them in business).

Please note I'm not 'slamming' (lol, there's a pun in there) folks who install lift kits for aesthetic reasons - to each his/her own, 'style matters', etc, etc .... as long as they fully understand and accept all of the potential downsides of the mod.

Registered
Thanks fellas for your very enlightening responses.

@CentexG2 I lived in the Blanco area for almost 15 years and well understand the sometimes-challenging rural roads (and water crossings!) there, not to mention ranch "driveways" where we ourselves had quite a challenging 1/4 mile road up to our homestead. Loose gravel and twisty-hilly road such that I was dis-inspired to try to get my Honda Gold Wing safely up & down it!

:cry:

Premium Member
Funny I just saw that, the 3" is by lowering the lower carriage 1" (why the bolts and circular plates), I think the parts shown above are to resolve issues with other 2" kits???
This kit adds 1" of body lift, the circular plates/washers/risers are the spacers and the added bolts are required due to the fact that the gap between the suspension and chassis mounting points is now 1" more than stock. That could make it that the stock mounting hardware may be too short. I would assume this 1" body lift is to allow for larger diameter tires and alleviate the rubbing issue associated with larger tires.
But what do I know, I dropped mine 2" so it will handle better on the road/track where I use mine.

Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
This kit adds 1" of body lift, the circular plates/washers/risers are the spacers and the added bolts are required due to the fact that the gap between the suspension and chassis mounting points is now 1" more than stock. That could make it that the stock mounting hardware may be too short. I would assume this 1" body lift is to allow for larger diameter tires and alleviate the rubbing issue associated with larger tires.
But what do I know, I dropped mine 2" so it will handle better on the road/track where I use mine.
Correct, 2鈥 Suspension Lift + 1鈥 Body Lift = 3鈥 Lift.
If you read the few posts on Ridgeline FB, Some of the 2鈥 lifts + larger tires have issues. I believe that some of the 2鈥 kits are like 1.75鈥 (front or rear) I don鈥檛 recall exactly, others went true 2鈥 and they have some issues. I believe that the 1.75鈥 kits look at it like measuring a 2鈥漻4鈥...

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
Discussion Starter #13
The only problem I see with the 1" subframe spacers is that the torque placed on those studs; in an event of a crash they will shear right off. The force exerted on the bolt at the frame and at the subframe, would be opposite in direction fatiguing the bolt aggressively. With the heavier wheel+tire combo, I wonder if the supplied fastening hardware (not sure of the grade and material) will support day-to-day duties reliably.

I am not a fan of lifts, just purely from a safety and handling aspect on highways, where these vehicles spend most of their time on. However, they do provide enthusiasts the option to take their vehicle off the beaten path. It is a risk that folks would have to acknowledge and accept, when doing this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts