Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
check engine light is on, had codes checked, error codes read are P0420,0135,0155,0498,P1659. How do I determine which is the culprit? 195,000 miles one owner. I don't trust taking it to the dealer without knowing for sure whats wrong......Thanks:nerd::frown:

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,609 Posts
In a perfect world you would take it to the dealer precisely because you want to figure out what is wrong. I'm with you though about not trusting most dealers at all . . .

I would put the 0420 code at the bottom of your list as it could easily be generated by one or more of the the issues that are causing your other codes. Basically fix the other issues before you worry about the bank 1 catalyst efficiency code (0420).

First off, how old is your battery, has it been acting up and are the connections to it and grounds good. Battery / connection issues can wreak all sorts of havoc.

0135 and 0155 are related to the Bank one (rear bank on the Ridge) upstream (before cat) a/f sensor. It would make sense to get a 420 code if the bank 1 a/f sensor is going bad. Prepare for the need to replace this sensor. If your sensors are all original (4 of them) on your truck then they are essentially way past their expected life time of around 100k miles. You might want to consider replacing them all if you plan on keeping the truck for a while longer.

I don't have much experience with the 498 (Evap cannister voltage) and 1659 (Drive by wire relay). It would be prudent to locate both of these items and take a look at the electrical connections in particular. Look for damaged wires and connectors.

If you wanted to take a stab (somewhat in the dark) at this yourself, you might:
Check battery and connections to it and to grounds etc

Nothing? Check electrical connections to the sensor, canister and examine the throttle relay and associated connections.

Nothing? Then consider replacing the Bank1 upstream sensor and the Drive by wire relay (likely cheap).

This might solve your problem.

If instead, you take it to someone make sure they have a system that gives Honda specific scan info and that they are genuinely interested in testing things rather than just replacing parts. If they tell you that you need a new Cat (0420) without having fixed the other codes then they are worthless and should not be trusted.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yea I am pretty proficient in mechanics...but when it comes to codes like this..I will pay someone with the computer skills and the diagnostic skills to tell me exactly what is wrong then do the labor myself to replace.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Since this is such a wide collection of codes, I would also look for rodent damage to the wiring.

Chip H.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,609 Posts
One other thing to consider is that the codes may not have all happened at once. A good scanner will tell you when each error code developed. The check engine light doesn't come on with all codes (just mostly those related to emissions) so he may have had codes prior to the 0420,135,155.

It would be interesting to know if the codes all occurred at once.

It would also be useful to know if the codes are one time or on going. Resetting the codes is not a bad idea.

Are there driveability issues?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the inputs, the check engine light went off. It may have been a fuel cap issue as my wife did the last fillup before the light came on. that was the first thing I checked and tightened. I did refill the tank before the light went off and made sure the cap was tight. I will have the codes rechecked to see if they are still there and I will have them reset to see if they come back. I do plan on keeping the truck for a while so I may just go ahead and replace the sensors. And no there were no driveability issues. Thanks all, and I will repost if issues return.......

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
clear the codes and see which ones come back
This is where Id start as well. Also, if you don't already have one, go buy a code reader. They're pretty inexpensive and handy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts