Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to wonder after reading some of the posts on this site about Honda's research and development for the Ridgeline...If this particular vehicle was designed for a rather low drag coefficienty, why is it that I seem to notice that the front end, side mirrors and windshield is always covered with insect (now that it is warmer) remains that decided to use my vehicle to commit suicide? And yes, I do have the Honda front windshield deflector...
But to be fair, there are no insect remains on the tonneau cover or tailgate!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Good point about the tonneau cover and the tailgate. I have never seen bug guts on either side of the tailgate when the front of the vehicle is so covered it stinks like low tide at the wharf. That kind of busts the tailgate up or down controversy, doesn't it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
no matter what, you're gonna get bugs on your car. i dunno the exact figures, but i'm fairly certain that my motorcycle is desiged to be very aerodynamic, yet gets covered like crazy.

i could be wrong, but i think being aerodynamic means that you don't leave a wake of turbulent air. regardless of how aerodynamic you are, you still need to cut a hole in the air for you to travel through

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I've always had bugs galore on my cars thanks to being in hot, humid East Texas. No problem, however, as squirts of windex and a nylon scrubber makes the clean-up job easy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Speaking of aerodynamics, here's a funny story for ya...
Left a buffer bonnet and detail towel (hand towel) in the back of my Ridgeline the other day (I had forgotten that I left them there) and proceeded to do some errands. As I ramped up speed getting on the tollroad, I notice the bonnet and towel getting sucked up and out by the wind. Thinking "oh well, I'll just let 'em blow out" and I keep on truckin'. Here's the funny part.
They STAY in the bed, doing a little circular dance, the entire trip, never leaving the bed! People are driving past me, looking with the look of WTTHFK?
I'm looking in my rearview mirror thinking, anytime now, these things are history, but NO. They continue to do their little rotational dance and not only do the folks on the tollroad get to enjoy this little piece of "entertainment", but I get home, bonnet and towel in tow, no worse for the wear. Ya had to be there... :D

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Pbear,

I have been there. Every Saturday morning I take the trash to the recycling center. My newspapers are in a bin, loose. They'll do the levitation thing but never fly out, as long as I put them up against the window end of the bed.

L

·
0 Posts
pbear said:
Left a buffer bonnet and detail towel (hand towel) in the back of my Ridgeline the other day (I had forgotten that I left them there) and proceeded to do some errands. As I ramped up speed getting on the tollroad, I notice the bonnet and towel getting sucked up and out by the wind. Thinking "oh well, I'll just let 'em blow out" and I keep on truckin'. Here's the funny part.
They STAY in the bed, doing a little circular dance, the entire trip, never leaving the bed! People are driving past me, looking with the look of WTTHFK?
I'm looking in my rearview mirror thinking, anytime now, these things are history, but NO. They continue to do their little rotational dance and not only do the folks on the tollroad get to enjoy this little piece of "entertainment", but I get home, bonnet and towel in tow, no worse for the wear. Ya had to be there... :D
Great story Pbear. :) :cool:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Locally it has been very hot and humid all day, but cooling down nicely at night. This makes for a good covering of dew moisture all over the truck in the morning.

Early this morning, as I got up to cruising speed on the highway, I had my window down and decided to open the rear sliding window. Well the aerodynamics were great!!! The dew from the roof and bed "rained" horizontally in the back window all the way to the windshield!!!

It was good for a laugh.

·
Registered
484 Posts
pbear said:
Sounds like a new way to dry detailing towels... :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pbear - Portola Hills?

Pbear, do you live in Portola Hills? I see another green RL up there. (your mention of the toll road made me wonder).

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with the areo. I do notice a lot more bugs than usual!
The areo though, could be better, look at ANY other Honda.
Seems liked they squared it off to make it look more like a truck.
This truck would be awesome with better areo, looks wise and MPG. ;)
It's the first time I ever looked at the hood of any Honda while driving.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
I don't know the drag specs for the Ridgeline, but I believe it's pretty good. Keep in mind that a bug, pebble, or anything with much mass will not follow the airflow pattern.

You can divert the little tiny bugs with the airflow pattern, but the bigger bugs won't follow the flow and hit your hood, grille, windshield, etc.

Since the Ridgeline has a fairly large vertical surface area it's bound to encounter more bug hits.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts