Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Ridgeline Owners,
It's cold. Please help me figure out what actually is wrong.
2011 Ridgeline 20,000 miles. It sat for quite a bit of time.
Even the upper part of the steering wheel is burned but that is least of my worries.

I have been told to look under the dashboard on passenger side and look for a control arm that switches AC to heat. And since I get AC right now, that means it's stuck on AC side and not switch over to heat.

Other said to check some pipes under hood to see if they feel hot. Or check the thermotstat. But i don't know what to check for under dash or even under hood.

Any help with picture would be appreciated as to what to look for to trouble shoot.

Many thanks in advance
Thank You.
Greg

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You sure you have A/C and it's not just the outside air?

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,601 Posts
Sounds like your thermostat may be stuck open. I would just have the thermostat replaced and go from there. Most likely the cheapest fix before taking the dash apart. Thermostat measures the temperature of your engine and releases your antifreeze from your rad by opening to cool off your engine. Your interior heat comes from the heat of your engine. Therefore, your thermostat may be stuck in the open position which prevents your engine from building up enough heat to transfer to cabin on demand. Normally not expensive to replace. Would also explain why you have no problem with cold air.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Yep. Check thermostat. Other things I've seen in the past is people dumping tons of "stop leak" into their coolant, with the heater core getting clogged as a result. Hopefully OP, you or a previous owner didn't do that.

Chip H.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone many thanks. I was busy with Christmas gathering so just now checking this. Truck has been parked as too cold to drive even though I live in CA and not where it snows.

Where is the thermostat and how do I check if it good or bad? Picture would be helpful as at least I could not find any online.

And someone also said check the pipes and feel if they are hot but not sure what that would mean?

And I never put any stop leak in the coolant but was thinking of draining it and putting some new one.

Note that it had been sitting around for a while after someone brought it over from Hawaii. That's why it only has 24000 miles on it since purchased in 2012.

Many thanks to all and please links to drawings or videos to perform some troubleshooting.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
That makes me laugh, thinking it came from Hawaii! If this were 30 years ago, I'd say check to see if it even HAS a heater. My Mom&Dad lived over there for a couple of years in the 70s, and brought home (to Cal) a Datsun (I think) that didn't even have a heater..... they didn't come in all cars there, because you just didn't need them!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts