Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
We've updated the our reliability stats for the Ridgeline to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 35, small sample size

2008: 24

2007: 15

2006: 43

All are better than average.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

For the Ridgeline these two stats are:

2008: 83, less than one

2007: 83, less than one

2006: 61, less than one

We'll have further updates in February and May. With more owners involved, we could provide more precise information and fully cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and sign up to help:

Honda Ridgeline reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
278 Posts
My stats are in the 07 info and have been for a few years now.

Thru 106K miles my Ridge has been the MOST reliable vehicle I have ever owned. In that time I have changed the battery, bought new tires, new brakes and oild changes plus just the 100K service (timing belt, oil change, water pump, etc). Not a thing else.

It's also the first vehicle I've owned where I'm not tired of it by the 5th year.

In April and May, I fully expect to put on another 5K miles between two big scout trips and one big ham radio trip plus regular use...I just wish gas prices would go below $3/gal but I don't think I'll ever see that again. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
We've updated the our reliability stats for the Ridgeline to include owner experiences through December 31, 2012.

2009: 31, small sample size

2008: 27

2007: 10

2006: 30

All are low.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

2008: 78, less than one

2007: 89, less than one

2006: 74, less than one

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates later this month and in August. With more owners involved, we could provide more precise information and fully cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and sign up to help improve this information:

·
Registered
278 Posts
We've updated the our reliability stats for the Ridgeline to include owner experiences through December 31, 2012.

2009: 31, small sample size

2008: 27

2007: 10

2006: 30

All are low.

2008: 78, less than one

2007: 89, less than one

2006: 74, less than one

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates later this month and in August. With more owners involved, we could provide more precise information and fully cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and sign up to help improve this information:

I wonder why the 07 is so different than the 06 or 08?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I wonder why the 07 is so different than the 06 or 08?
They only look so different because the 2007 is so low. All three are low compared to the average, and much of the difference between the 2007 and the others could be random error--it might not be real. What I'd take from the data isn't that the 2007 is most reliable, but that all of these years are reliable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
We've updated our reliability stats for the Ridgeline to include owner experiences through March 31, 2013.

2009 Ridgeline: 15, low, small sample size
2008 Ridgeline: 25, low
2007 Ridgeline: 13, low
2006 Ridgeline: 39, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2008 Ridgeline: 80, < 1
2007 Ridgeline: 85, < 1
2006 Ridgeline: 74, < 1

We'll have further updates in August and in November.

For the details, including the descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help improve this information:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hello, Michael. I've been a TrueDelta member for several years now. We just bought a '13 Ridgeline, and I've added it to the 'garage' at your site. Thanks for keeping up the good work!

·
Registered
278 Posts
At 118+K on my 07 Ridgeline and it still being super reliable. I wonder what other vehicles are as comparable in reliability? I'm not looking to replace mine now, maybe in a few more years I'll give it to my son in college. But I am curious what else is comparable reliability wise?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
We've updated our reliability stats for the Ridgeline to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013.

2009 Ridgeline: 0, low, small sample size
2008 Ridgeline: 23, low
2007 Ridgeline: 18, low
2006 Ridgeline: 42, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2008 Ridgeline: 83, < 1
2007 Ridgeline: 82, < 1
2006 Ridgeline: 67, < 1

We'll have further updates later this month and in February.

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help:

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
I currently have 136,xxx on my RL. I can only compare it to the vehicle I drove on a daily basis before I got my RL: A 1998 Chevy S-10.

In the almost 8 years I have owned my RL, the only things I have had to do (besides fluids, brakes, and new tires) to it, is replace CD player (it had the skip when cold issue...covered under warranty), and I had some rust inside the doors (cost to repair: $650. Honda took care of $500 of it).

I sold the S-10 when it had about 110,000 miles on it. In the last 18-24 months of ownership I had the following things fail/repaired:

- 4x4 system would not engage and would "hang up" at times...be semi-engaged
- Fuel guage
- Trip Odometer
- Main Odometer
- Speedometer
- Gas Guage
- Wiper motor
- Seal around 3rd door window
- Alternator
- Fuel pump
- Power Steering Pump
- Water Pump
- 2 wheel bearings

The last straw was the fuel pump. I was told by a dealership mechanic that GM knew about the faulty fuel pump, but still installed it in several vehicles from '97 through '01, until they got the issue figured out. It cost me over a $1000 to get that thing replaced.

I sold the truck to a nice older guy, told him of all the issues I had, and all the work I had done on it. He said, "OK, I'l buy it...I don't think anything else could go wrong, right?" Wrong. Two years after he owned it, he had to have the tranny rebuilt to the tune of $2000.

So, obviously, in this comparison, the RL wins hands-down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
At 118+K on my 07 Ridgeline and it still being super reliable. I wonder what other vehicles are as comparable in reliability? I'm not looking to replace mine now, maybe in a few more years I'll give it to my son in college. But I am curious what else is comparable reliability wise?
Too many to list here--take a look at the stats posted to the site for the vehicles you might be interested in.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Engine reliability - top 10 brands according to Warranty Direct

1. Honda (failure rate: 1 in 344)

2. Toyota (failure rate: 1 in 171)

3. Mercedes-Benz (failure rate: 1 in 119)

4. Volvo (failure rate: 1 in 111)

5. Jaguar (failure rate: 1 in 103)

6. Lexus (failure rate: 1 in 101)

7. Fiat (failure rate: 1 in 85)

8. Ford (failure rate: 1 in 80)

9. Nissan (failure rate: 1 in 76)

10. Land Rover (failure rate: 1 in 72)

Engine reliability - bottom 10 brands according to Warranty Direct

1. MG Rover (failure rate: 1 in 13)

2. Audi (failure rate: 1 in 27)

3. Mini (failure rate: 1 in 40)

4. Saab (failure rate: 1 in 40)

5. Vauxhall (failure rate: 1 in 41)

6. Peugeot (failure rate: 1 in 44)

7. BMW (failure rate: 1 in 45)

8. Renault (failure rate: 1 in 46)

9. Volkswagen (failure rate: 1 in 52)

10. Mitsubishi (failure rate: 1 in 59)

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Engine reliability - top 10 brands according to Warranty Direct

1. Honda (failure rate: 1 in 344)

2. Toyota (failure rate: 1 in 171)

3. Mercedes-Benz (failure rate: 1 in 119)

4. Volvo (failure rate: 1 in 111)

5. Jaguar (failure rate: 1 in 103)

6. Lexus (failure rate: 1 in 101)

7. Fiat (failure rate: 1 in 85)

8. Ford (failure rate: 1 in 80)

9. Nissan (failure rate: 1 in 76)

10. Land Rover (failure rate: 1 in 72)

Engine reliability - bottom 10 brands according to Warranty Direct

1. MG Rover (failure rate: 1 in 13)

2. Audi (failure rate: 1 in 27)

3. Mini (failure rate: 1 in 40)

4. Saab (failure rate: 1 in 40)

5. Vauxhall (failure rate: 1 in 41)

6. Peugeot (failure rate: 1 in 44)

7. BMW (failure rate: 1 in 45)

8. Renault (failure rate: 1 in 46)

9. Volkswagen (failure rate: 1 in 52)

10. Mitsubishi (failure rate: 1 in 59)
Those numbers are so unbelievable I had to look it up. Warranty Direct is an aftermarket warranty company in Europe. They've only sold 50,000 warranties.

With such a low sample rate the results are far from accurate. Depending on how you look at the numbers VW is the world's largest automaker (it bounces around between GM, Toyota and VW). If 1 out of every 52 engines they built were failing they would be out of business in about 10 days.

I've owned at least 4 VW TDI powered vehicles... their assembly quality has been lacking for many years (although they seem to be getting better) but their engines have been rock solid. The person I sold my very first Jetta TDI to still drives it and loves it. The last I heard she had about 360,000 miles on it. A lot of scheduled maintenance, alternators, a/c compressors, etc. but no major mechanical issues.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Honda CRV! But that shouldn't surprise you... :act024:

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Those numbers are so unbelievable I had to look it up. Warranty Direct is an aftermarket warranty company in Europe. They've only sold 50,000 warranties.

With such a low sample rate the results are far from accurate. Depending on how you look at the numbers VW is the world's largest automaker (it bounces around between GM, Toyota and VW). If 1 out of every 52 engines they built were failing they would be out of business in about 10 days.

I've owned at least 4 VW TDI powered vehicles... their assembly quality has been lacking for many years (although they seem to be getting better) but their engines have been rock solid. The person I sold my very first Jetta TDI to still drives it and loves it. The last I heard she had about 360,000 miles on it. A lot of scheduled maintenance, alternators, a/c compressors, etc. but no major mechanical issues.
I did not do any due diligence on this info, thank you for the insight.

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
If 1 out of every 52 engines they built were failing they would be out of business in about 10 days.

Maybe what WD is saying is for every VW that has a warranty claim 1 out of 52 of those claims is related to an engine problem.

Not that one of every 52 VW engines has a problem. Two totally different things!!

Plus, Warranty Direct is more involved with autos that have some mileage on them, and are already out of any factory warranty.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts
About this Discussion
138 Replies
61 Participants
Schlesinger
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing