Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
...and those spots during the Super Bowl ARE NOT cheap! Fortune mag estimates 2016 SB ads at $5 million for a 30 second spot...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
So we get tracks across an open field toward distant mountains? This is the teaser image for a new truck whose off-road capability was not supposed to be a priority for the design team? I don't get it...does Honda?
Well, we have kind of adopted the not-as-good-offroad mantra for G2, but I've only seen that G2 is not as good for ground clearance. Now for certain kinds of off-road, that is actually "not as good".
But at the same time, we've read that the AWD system is going to be better in G2. In certain kinds of off-road driving that will be an improvement.
So we're really getting some trade-offs for G2 off-road, and while I'll admit that better ground clearance is a big plus for rocks & ruts, sometimes you just need to keep the wheels turning in traction-challenged situations. It will be interesting to see how G2 does in some of those incline-slips, mud bogs, and snow challenges.
I'm just saying, it's not all bad.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am just hoping Honda might actually make a factory off road version.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,391 Posts
If they only made an off road accessory package(factory supported lift kit) I believe that would satisfy many if not most

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,600 Posts
If they only made an off road accessory package(factory supported lift kit) I believe that would satisfy many if not most
I'm in for that:act035:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
If they only made an off road accessory package(factory supported lift kit) I believe that would satisfy many if not most.
Agreed, but I wouldn't expect to see that off-road package in the first year. So, Honda, here's my no-charge marketing plan for the next gen RL:

Joe suggested the new truck might just clear the ground by 8.5". For discussion sake, let's give it 8.4" of ground clearance. With a very modest factory lift of only one inch, the G2 RL could boast 9.4" of ground clearance -- the same as the new Tacoma 4X4 and more than the GM twins! Now of course no one should imply that the RL is as off-road worthy as a Tacoma with its low range transfer case, skid plates and impressive A/D/B-O angles. But matching the Tacoma's ground clearance is one way to blunt the "not a real truck" and "minivan with a bed" slurs that we already know will be directed at the Gen2. Add some bolder styling cues with a unique grill, paint job or trim and strike back with this "Off-Road/Sport/Adventure" version for MY 2018.

To keep the buzz going for MY 2019, bring on the 10AT to meet the competition head-on with best in class fuel efficiency for a gas V6 4WD/AWD midsize PU. The timing could be perfect to tout mpgs if the oil industry experts are right about the expected rebound and escalation of gas prices in a couple years, not to mention tougher CAFE regs.

An "Off-Road" version isn't likely to send RL sales through the roof, but it might be enough to keep the pickup viable in a very competitive market.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I like your thinking.

A 9.4 clearance number would sound & look good to the uneducated about the Ridgeline off-road. The Ridgeline just has a bad Break over Angle because of the way it's made. I'm off-road almost every weekend & typically traction isn't my issue it's ground clearance. I went in a little hot on one of our ditches I have to cross at my hunting land today & thought I messed up the plastic piece on the front. Got lucky, just more scratches. The spoiler on Gen 2 would be ripped off weekend one at my hunting land.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The first time I cross the creek on the road to my cabin, the angle of approach on the opposite bank would likely take out that air dam on a Gen2. As the truck climbed out of the creek, the break-over angle would be tested as well. Too soon to say for sure, but some kind of off-road package may be the only way the new RL will meet my needs. Let's see...how am I gonna convince the salesman to let me take the the G2 RL for a 150-mile test drive?! Wonder if they'll lease it to me for a day?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I say build it and keep it factory at 9.5 then offer a lift.

On a side note we just got back from a local ski maintain they have about 3 feet of snow and and today we received about 7 inches the car lot was a complete mess! but the RL with a lift and BFG tires was a dream. Didn't really need it but put it in 4 lock for fun.

Really appreciate the lift it makes a HUGE difference. Would hate to go back a step and no option available. Even if the so called traction is better which is just words right now. That and want Tacoma level tow rating. That's about 6400lbs.

That's two two strikes IMO and we haven't even got to the stupid arm rest and lack of real console! I don't own a bloody purse.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It will be interesting to see if Honda can come up with a guy for this ad that has a deeper voice than those Ram and Chevy guys. I guess that sells trucks.

Maybe they could use one voice track for rational folks and a subliminal track that can only be detected by whales, elephants and BFT buyers.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Now we know why they are advertising during the superior bowl - the in-bed speakers and trunk make this an excellent tailgating truck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
While some have been critical of the teaser image saying Honda "dropped the ball".........perhaps the intent will be that "others have dropped the ball for the real world needs of many and Honda will be picking it up".

The new R/L will not be perfect, will not meet everyone's needs or expectation, etc., but I do think it will be a success in its intended market and fulfill the real needs of many users better than its competitors. Not looking to debate it - just a different perspective...........

·
Registered
96 Posts
While some have been critical of the teaser image saying Honda "dropped the ball".........perhaps the intent will be that "others have dropped the ball for the real world needs of many and Honda will be picking it up".

The new R/L will not be perfect, will not meet everyone's needs or expectation, etc., but I do think it will be a success in its intended market and fulfill the real needs of many users better than its competitors. Not looking to debate it - just a different perspective...........
Agreed. Business is business.

Honda's statement that the Ridgeline will "deliver more of the things that many of today's truck customers want and need with none of the things they don't" affirms that.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Absolutely. I was the one who brought up the "dropped ball" interpretation. I have also been one of the biggest RL supporters (attended 5 meets, co-organising one of those) and predicted Gen 2 will match or out-sell Gen 1. My support of the vehicle is undeniable.

My criticism is directed at the previous marketing efforts. And the poor superfluous bowl ad is following tradition.

I was critical of the decision to appear in the superior bowl without knowing Honda had designed more tailgating/social functionality into the bed. I think this is now a good move.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Absolutely. I was the one who brought up the "dropped ball" interpretation. I have also been one of the biggest RL supporters (attended 5 meets, co-organising one of those) and predicted Gen 2 will match or out-sell Gen 1. My support of the vehicle is undeniable.

My criticism is directed at the previous marketing efforts. And the poor superfluous bowl ad is following tradition.

I was critical of the decision to appear in the superior bowl without knowing Honda had designed more tailgating/social functionality into the bed. I think this is now a good move.
You think the speakers in the box are goin to sell this truck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You think the speakers in the box are goin to sell this truck.
this would not/will not affect my decision making process. Since I spend my time inside the cab or away from the truck it just seems like another "thumpa thumpa" vehicle rolling around the neighborhood and streets.....personally, I prefer NOT to hear another vehicle's sound system! Maybe Honda will design it such that the bed speakers will not play while the vehicle is in gear.......

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
this would not/will not affect my decision making process. Since I spend my time inside the cab or away from the truck it just seems like another "thumpa thumpa" vehicle rolling around the neighborhood and streets.....personally, I prefer NOT to hear another vehicle's sound system! Maybe Honda will design it such that the bed speakers will not play while the vehicle is in gear.......
It was said in the other thread the vehicle had to be in park to turn them on & they shut off over 9 mph's

1 - 20 of 37 Posts