Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Honestly, I was expecting a different reaction. More replies of enthusiast dreamers like me but at the end the majority were like "MEH".

Now I understand why Honda doesn't try harder with the RL.
To be fair I bought my RL for it to be boring :) I’ve got other vehicles I pour a fair bit of money into. One day I would maybe like to lower it and put on some lighter weight wheels, since I think the RL looks pretty good lowered. However, I’m only 8 months into ownership and today a proper suspension setup doesn’t exist. I did buy new black emblems. Does that count for some enthusiasm 😃

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Too each his own...

Like I keep saying, 98% of you like it as it was intended and that's great. Then there are the others that want it to be a little different. Not saying "Better", but different. I added 20-30% more power and 110% increase in handling than it came with stock....Is is better???? maybe not. Can I keep a set of tires on her or haul a trailer as "intended"???? absolutely not. However, that was never the intended use for this truck from the start.

Different strokes for different folks.

by GhostYK1, on Flickr

·
Registered
21 RL RTL-E Silver
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To be fair I bought my RL for it to be boring :) I’ve got other vehicles I pour a fair bit of money into. One day I would maybe like to lower it and put on some lighter weight wheels, since I think the RL looks pretty good lowered. However, I’m only 8 months into ownership and today a proper suspension setup doesn’t exist. I did buy new black emblems. Does that count for some enthusiasm 😃
Depends, who you ask.

Boring people will say isn't needed and get offended by others who dare to mention it.

Others will welcome the change.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, Pacific Pewter
193 Posts
Honestly, I was expecting a different reaction. More replies of enthusiast dreamers like me but at the end the majority were like "MEH".

Now I understand why Honda doesn't try harder with the RL.
Yet you own one? What was your deciding factor then? The new aggressive sidewalls?

More likely, as it seems for most on this forum, it wasn’t for aftermarket adds, but for the practical considerations.

Could there be more features, sure the volume knob is nice, and that’s where I’d prefer Honda focus. The ideas that in 2006 were cutting edge, outside the box reimagining of a truck, which with the Santa Cruz and Maverick are becoming more mainstream, rather than on how to climb into the same “it’s a truck, let’s make it taller and squarer” mentality.

How about some innovation instead of regurgitation?

Honda makes generators, yet a Ford can now power your house.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll admit I bought my Ridgeline for practicality but trucks are like most vehicles and people like to accessorize them. There's got to be some things learned from the Baja 500 that can be applied to mods or aftermarket parts that keep the practical natural but improve capabilities. Just so long as I get to keep my creature comforts that certainly beat Ford and Chevy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Depends, who you ask.

Boring people will say isn't needed and get offended by others who dare to mention it.

Others will welcome the change.
Let me be clear, I LOVE aftermarket goodies. I wish we had 3 turbo options, 25 suspension setups, and tons of other things. Not saying I would buy all these, but options are always fun! I'm just stating from a business standpoint. There is a reason there is limited aftermarket support. It's just the reality of the situation. Maybe things will improve with the success of the '21's?

·
Administrator
20,707 Posts
If the Ridgeline also came in a regular cab and extended cab allowing for a longer bed, how many more would be sold? Enough to justify the (millions?) in engineering and tooling costs it would take to make each one?

If the Ridgeline also offered a manual transmission, how many would be sold? Enough to justify the offering?

If the Ridgeline also offered a turbo four how many would accept an increase in NVH for a slight fuel economy increase? If the Ridgeline offered a turbo six, how many would accept a decrease in fuel economy for another second of 0-60 time? If the Ridgeline offered a diesel, how many would accept the increase maintenance and repairs costs, noise, odor, and fuel cost?

If the Ridgeline offered 7,500 lbs. towing capacity, how many would accept a decrease in handling and ride quality for the majority of the time that they weren't towing anything?

If the Ridgeline offered more ground clearance, would the increased rollover risk be acceptable for the majority of the time that more ground clearance wasn't necessary?

At least to me, the Ridgeline is "just right" like it is. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. :)

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,580 Posts
Wish that was true these days, but Honda is struggle in MotoGP (the premier motorcycle racing organization...like F1 only with motorcycles) this year.

View attachment 414568
That is sad, almost like they're following int the footsteps of their automobile division. Corporate profits are harder to come by in today's cutthroat automotive business, so Honda may be taking fewer risks in their Motorsports arena, also.

I had high hopes, when Honda introduced the ROAV a couple years ago, that there would be more sharing between the Motorsports and Automobile divisions, but I'm not so sure that that is going to happen. OTOH, I realize Honda is a big ship that takes a long time to turn around, so maybe it will still happen...

·
Registered
426 Posts
If the Ridgeline also came in a regular cab and extended cab allowing for a longer bed, how many more would be sold? Enough to justify the (millions?) in engineering and tooling costs it would take to make each one?

If the Ridgeline also offered a manual transmission, how many would be sold? Enough to justify the offering?

If the Ridgeline also offered a turbo four how many would accept an increase in NVH for a slight fuel economy increase? If the Ridgeline offered a turbo six, how many would accept a decrease in fuel economy for another second of 0-60 time? If the Ridgeline offered a diesel, how many would accept the increase maintenance and repairs costs, noise, odor, and fuel cost?

If the Ridgeline offered 7,500 lbs. towing capacity, how many would accept a decrease in handling and ride quality for the majority of the time that they weren't towing anything?

If the Ridgeline offered more ground clearance, would the increased rollover risk be acceptable for the majority of the time that more ground clearance wasn't necessary?

At least to me, the Ridgeline is "just right" like it is. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. :)
While I agree, could towing be increased to 6,000lb without much tradeoff or GC raised 4-5" without much trade off. I don't know these answers but there is always room to "improve" on a platform. It's possible some of these things could be put into R & D if sales increased to allow more return on revenue for an "off-road" or "towing" package but I agree when it's such a small market it's hard to absorb costs with 5% or 10% of the users that would actually order those packages. Honda should at least focus on improving things for those 90% users like the entertainment center or adding features already offered to Canada.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, to put in $0.02 worth, this thread has really confirmed all my angsts of owning my Ridgeline; my first. Needed to get a truck for work, spousey suggested a drive of a RL, so I did. Bought this '08, sure is pretty all around, just ain't a tradesman's vehicle. I am frustrated most days on the handyman route. Oh well, I still dream of affordable HP booster, and a DECENT practical ladder rack system.
Joined this forum just to see what some are doing or have done.
Sign me: Not the HONDA demographic:cautious:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts