Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the bed with tailgate down was just a little longer, you could use a bed extender with motorcycles. Unless they'll be offering a special bed extender for use with bikes, the motorcycle company has really missed the mark to co-market their truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Honda engineered this vehicle for use with all of their "other" products they made sure the largest 4 wheeler would fit in the bed or two offroad bikes (I think there's even going to be an optional mounting bracket). The bed is 6.5' long with the gate down, how long is a bike.

It's also engineered to carry a 4' wide sheet of building material flat on the floor between the wells.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solo2EG said:
Honda engineered this vehicle for use with all of their "other" products they made sure the largest 4 wheeler would fit in the bed or two offroad bikes (I think there's even going to be an optional mounting bracket). The bed is 6.5' long with the gate down, how long is a bike.
Closer to 7'. If the tailgate and bed combined were 7', a bed extender would fit around the bikes. Then you can load more of your gear in the bed, and not have to worry about it sliding out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The wheelbase on a large dirtbike / dual sport bike is about 58", so it should fit, although the back end will hang over.

We'll soon find out.

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
Here's one that AMP had at the SEMA show jus for us dirtbike/Ridgeline folks!:D

·
Registered
897 Posts
I've had my 450x in there for about 400 miles and no fitment issues, wheels rest on hte tailgate - it's actually kind of nice to not have the tailgate bounding around when you're driving like it does in a 'true' 6ft bed.

If you still need a bed extender with the bikes - you're just plain hauling too much crap dude :D. Thats what the trunk and backseat are for. Those inner lower tiedown points work awesome for flat bungees and gastanks too.

I say big props to Honda for making this the 'fits like a glove' for the dirtybike at least :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sure, you can't fit a bike in the bed with the tailgate up. But name one truck that does everything the Ridgeline does, for the same price, that also allows you to fit a bike in the bed with the tailgate up. Maybe i'm missing the point, but why does it matter if you can fit a bike in with the tailgate up or down when you have 6 heavy duty tie downs in the bed to secure your bike with. Honda could also be faulted for choosing a bed that will not fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat in the bed with the tailgate up. Honda didn't design the Ridgeline to do everything someone wanted a truck for. They designed it to be flexible enough to both be practical for day to day use, and be able to handle the occasional uses their owners might want, such as being able to fit a motorcycle in the bed, or fit a 4 foot wide sheet of plywood flat in the bed. Sure, you have to put the tailgate down, but it goes down for a reason, such as stated above. I see trucks all the time with their quad cab and full length bed, and I wonder if these people actually use that full bed all the time, or just have it for those occasional what-if's. It's not the size of your bed, it's how you use it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I agree. If you are that concerned with hauling that much stuff, then buy an enclosed trailer dude. The RL is rated high enough that you can tow a decent trailer w/gear with no problems. A sportbike will fit securely with the gate down, that is all I need. I don't need no mammoth F250 for my needs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Had my Mountain bike in it this week, tie-downs worked great. Also watch this video, what you're looking for starts at about the three minute mark. The video is given by Gary Flint, the Project Manager for the Ridgeline.

http://video.vtec.net/05/naias/tov_rline-01.wmv

TL

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Link doesn't work (403 Forbidden Error)

Guess the Honda 50 my boys want will be no problem for the Ridgeline - and it'll fit with the door up!

I'd say someone needs to work on a "Bro" for the tailgate while down (another thread talked about having the tailgate getting really dirty while driving in the down mode).

-ridgeln

·
Registered
201 Posts
flipSTREAM said:
My 600rr fits just fine w/ the gate down... :confused:
My 600 F2 fits in the bed as well, but the problem is nothing else can go in the bed because it will slide out. Stuff like the ramp to unload the bike! I have an idea that I'm going to investigate further come spring. Since the bed extender is actuallly two pieces with insert bars in the middle, based on my initial measurements, if the top insert is removed, the rear tire should just curve over it. That's my hope anyway so I can haul the bike AND other stuff when I head down to Bike Week in Myrtle Beach next May. If no one tries it before then, I'll make sure to post the results!

·
Registered
37 Posts
MountainBiker said:
If the bed with tailgate down was just a little longer, you could use a bed extender with motorcycles. Unless they'll be offering a special bed extender for use with bikes, the motorcycle company has really missed the mark to co-market their truck.
My CBR fits fine. A bed extender would go right around it. The rear tire is barely on the tailgate. couldnt be happier

1 - 20 of 41 Posts