Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and are considering buying a 2021 Ridgeline RTL. We're happy 2008 RTL owners (210,000 miles) but like what we see in the new model, including the Honda Sensing driving assistance system.

Since we travel quite a few miles every year pulling a 16-foot Airstream Sport (3,500 pounds), I'm wondering to what extent these elements of the Sensing Suite are impacted -- positively or negatively -- when pulling a trailer like that:
  • Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)
  • Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
I'm assuming that all four can be enabled/disabled at any time but I'd like to better understand the pros and cons.

I've googled around trying to find info about this but so far, zilch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
All of these systems work great while towing and one of them has specific enhancements for trailering (it’s in the manual which you can download). I have done a lot of towing with my 2018 Black Edition. LKAS will steer the car to keep it in the lane. ACC works just like when there is no trailer to hold speed, but be aware of the manual’s recommended max towing speeds. RDM nudges the wheel if the camera detects you leaving the lane. Unlike LKAS which is a sub-feature of cruise control RDM is active all the time, but they are similar. CMBS is the only one I have not had go off when towing. I would assume if you have your trailer brakes adjusted correctly and you were about to have a collision, you would appreciate the truck braking for you, but I could see times you might be worried about the trailer coming around in a hard braking scenario. Still, if you are about to have a collision some things went wrong already. I do not have experience with the 9-speed in the 2020 and 2021, but from what I’ve read here people like towing with it and it appears not to be having the overheating and failures some had with the 6-speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of these systems work great while towing and one of them has specific enhancements for trailering (it’s in the manual which you can download). I have done a lot of towing with my 2018 Black Edition. LKAS will steer the car to keep it in the lane. ACC works just like when there is no trailer to hold speed, but be aware of the manual’s recommended max towing speeds. RDM nudges the wheel if the camera detects you leaving the lane. Unlike LKAS which is a sub-feature of cruise control RDM is active all the time, but they are similar. CMBS is the only one I have not had go off when towing. I would assume if you have your trailer brakes adjusted correctly and you were about to have a collision, you would appreciate the truck braking for you, but I could see times you might be worried about the trailer coming around in a hard braking scenario. Still, if you are about to have a collision some things went wrong already. I do not have experience with the 9-speed in the 2020 and 2021, but from what I’ve read here people like towing with it and it appears not to be having the overheating and failures some had with the 6-speed.
Thanks so much! I didn't know about the Trailer Stability Assist feature. And it's really good to know that all the other features work well when towing. And thanks for letting me know that people are liking towing with the 9-speed. That's the other feature we're mainly interested in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife and are considering buying a 2021 Ridgeline RTL. We're happy 2008 RTL owners (210,000 miles) but like what we see in the new model, including the Honda Sensing driving assistance system.

Since we travel quite a few miles every year pulling a 16-foot Airstream Sport (3,500 pounds), I'm wondering to what extent these elements of the Sensing Suite are impacted -- positively or negatively -- when pulling a trailer like that:
  • Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)
  • Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
I'm assuming that all four can be enabled/disabled at any time but I'd like to better understand the pros and cons.

I've googled around trying to find info about this but so far, zilch.
I bought a brand new 2018 Ridgeline. Over all, I'm happy with the truck. To me, the best feature of the Honda Sensing is that you can turn it all off. Which I did within 6 months of owning the truck. It is, without a doubt, the most useless and hazardous piece of gadgetry I've ever come across in a new vehicle. Just wish it was an option when I bought. Could've saved myself some money.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt as I haven't yet towed with my Ridgeline. I have a 2021 Sport and based on my experiences with the various "sensing features" I'm with stevev on this - thank goodness you can turn them off. I shudder to think of the consequences if the CMBS would incorrectly decide to "throw out the anchor" and hit the brakes hard while towing a trailer. As often as it warns me of an imminent collision that isn't happening I'm lucky it hasn't hammered the brakes on me as others have had occur.

That said, the Trailer Stability system may be something to have.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have all mine turned off with the exception of the LKAS when towing. If you're lazy on the bends, it will keep whatever you are towing between the lines. If the lines are in good condition, otherwise it drops out so stay awake

1 - 8 of 8 Posts