Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
14,959 Posts
I have a 2017 RTL E and I installed the
Traxda LLC 202033 Lift Kit 2 in. Front Lift 1 in. Rear Lift Incl. Strut Spacer Lift Kit
I had to get my windshield replaced and as a result the Honda Sensing system must be re-calibrated. Due to the lift, the system can't be re-calibrated because it is outside of the manufacturers specs. Any assistance is appreciated.
That's a risk people take when modifying vehicles.

I see two options - return the vehicle to factory specifications or live without the Honda Sensing features.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E, KMC 708 17” Wheels, 240/17/70 Cooper AT3 4S
30 Posts
Traxda LLC 202033 Lift Kit 2 in. Front Lift 1 in. Rear Lift Incl. Strut Spacer Lift Kit
I had to get my windshield replaced and as a result the Honda Sensing system must be re-calibrated. Due to the lift, the system can't be re-calibrated because it is outside of the manufacturers specs. Any assistance is appreciated.
Maybe try a different dealership. It looks like some dealerships are more friendly to modded vehicles then others. I had my level kit installed at a dealer after calling around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's a risk people take when modifying vehicles.

I see two options - return the vehicle to factory specifications or live without the Honda Sensing features.
I can live without the Honda Sensing, just wonder if you can turn the dash warning lights off. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Is the calibration done dynamically or statically?

If statically, then just air down the tires to the point that the lift is negated. Problem solved.

·
Administrator
14,959 Posts
Is the calibration done dynamically or statically?

If statically, then just air down the tires to the point that the lift is negated. Problem solved.
Both. Part of the calibration is done with the vehicle parked and I believe a drive is required to "fine tune" the calibration. Also, I believe the calibration won't start if there is a low tire or TPMS problem.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I'm trying to follow this. ROCers with 1.5" front leveling kits say Honda Sensing seems to work properly after the modification. But if an owner needs to get a windshield replaced, the procedure for recalibrating the camera will fail because the vehicle is no longer within factory specifications due to the modified suspension? So basically Honda Sensing isn't able to detect the suspension modification and operates without throwing error messages unless you actually try to recalibrate it?

Wow, that's gonna be a nasty surprise for all the folks who've installed Traxda, Truxxx and Jsport lifts on RLs with Honda Sensing. If there is no work-around for this, Honda dealers who've sold Jsported Ridgelines and Pilots are also set up for some unhappy customers. Could it be possible that a 1.5" leveled Ridgeline can be recalibrated but a 2" front lifted RL can not be? I'm also wondering if a special mounting gasket could be designed to aim the camera slightly downward to compensate for the change in front ride height and allow the recalibration to proceed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I don’t have the exact terminology and measurements, I will update when I do. The service writer told me it can’t be more then 15mm and mine with the 2inch front leveling kit is at 42ish. (Haven’t changed the wheels or tires) Which is a difference of 1.06 inches. @SuicideRabbit dropping the tire pressure could be an idea.

·
Administrator
14,959 Posts
I'm trying to follow this. ROCers with 1.5" front leveling kits say Honda Sensing seems to work properly after the modification. But if an owner needs to get a windshield replaced, the procedure for recalibrating the camera will fail because the vehicle is no longer within factory specifications due to the modified suspension? So basically Honda Sensing isn't able to detect the suspension modification and operates without throwing error messages unless you actually try to recalibrate it?

Wow, that's gonna be a nasty surprise for all the folks who've installed Traxda, Truxxx and Jsport lifts on RLs with Honda Sensing. If there is no work-around for this, Honda dealers who've sold Jsported Ridgelines and Pilots are also set up for some unhappy customers. Could it be possible that a 1.5" leveled Ridgeline can be recalibrated but a 2" front lifted RL can not be? I'm also wondering if a special mounting gasket could be designed to aim the camera slightly downward to compensate for the change in front ride height and allow the recalibration to proceed.
I strongly suspect that the reason we're not seeing complaints on modified vehicles is because the system can't tell the difference between a lift kit and a bed full of manure and it must compensate. However, when it comes time to aim the camera, the vehicle's calibration routine expects a narrow range of measurements and will fail if the deviation is too great.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
That might work unless the calibration routine calculates the distance between the centerline of the wheel and the body. :)

Maybe one could mark the centerline of the wheel 1.5" above the actual centerline. ;)

This is why we need dynamic lifts, e.g. - active suspension.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Just run the rear wheels up on a couple 2x12 boards during calibration. You might have to set the calibrating machine up on 2x's also.
We think alike. As soon as I read z's comment on bedload of manure, I thought "Aha! You gotta raise the truck's rear end to trick the calibration softwear." Collectively, we may be working toward a solution here.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts