Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I firmly believe Honda has a lot to gain by shifting their current SUV lineup so that they don’t have so many midsize SUV’s (especially with the new passport) and creating a large SUV like the Sequoia or Expedition as well as a full size truck. Statistics are showing people are become increasingly attracted to SUV’a and trucks and Honda has always excelled in small cars sales and now that the market is migrating Honda needs to focus on bigger vehicles and claim their share of the full size market. They might not even need to develop a V-8, simply a turbo 6. V-8’s are a dying breed anyhow what with newfound efficiency in turbocharging smaller engines. That’s just my 2 cents on things, I’d say the market will be all electric in the next 50-60 years anyhow. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I firmly believe Honda has a lot to gain by shifting their current SUV lineup so that they don’t have so many midsize SUV’s (especially with the new passport) and creating a large SUV like the Sequoia or Expedition as well as a full size truck. Statistics are showing people are become increasingly attracted to SUV’a and trucks and Honda has always excelled in small cars sales and now that the market is migrating Honda needs to focus on bigger vehicles and claim their share of the full size market. They might not even need to develop a V-8, simply a turbo 6. V-8’s are a dying breed anyhow what with newfound efficiency in turbocharging smaller engines. That’s just my 2 cents on things, I’d say the market will be all electric in the next 50-60 years anyhow. Thoughts?
RL is bigger than all the other midsizers, just slightly smaller than a full size, probably on purpose. They are maximizing their platform sharing. I too think Honda is missing out but it would take billions to develop this. Ford and Chevy will probably own the full size market forever. IMO, the Tundra is the best full size and the new one should be impressive. Tundras are for the long haul. Where I live, most of the F-150's are brand new with the latest grill.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
For larger trucks and SUVs, body-on-frame rules the roost. Honda doesn't do BoF. This is a good read, and might help justify why Honda doesn't build something larger:

I'm sure in Honda's way of thinking, the Ridgeline is a monstrously large vehicle by their standards. The only thing larger that they build is HondaJet.

Now, if only they'd build a smaller pickup truck...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it had any chance of being profitable Honda would already be doing it....................my penny's worth.

Bill
Normally when talking about the business model of a capitalist company like Honda North America I would tend to agree, but there are a number of potential reasons Honda wouldn’t feel comfortable pushing into the full size segment. It would be naive to believe that the full size segment is too crowded. Especially when considering that of the very popular Japanese manufacturers only one makes a full size pickup. Which is widely regarded as one of the best. Obviously there is more room for full size competition as both Tesla and Rivian are currently making strides into that arena. I tend to think it is potentially a risk vs reward problem for Honda in the sense that they are world renowned for developing small reliable engines. They started in North America as a motorbike company and the first ever Honda car in North America was a little 500cc air cooled basically “go kart.” Years later they are still known for their extremely reliable Civic and Accord. Stepping into the full size segment could bring on initial quality problems and blunders that would stain the Honda reliability name. IMO Honda transmissions would be a prime example, the decided to develop their own AT’s whereas nearly all other manufacturers had contracted out to Aisin. They had many issues from their AT’s and in the earlier 2000’s people became somewhat skeptical of a Honda with an AT. There are many other potential reasons but this is the one that seems the most plausible to me. I know if Honda did develop a full size pickup I’d more than likely trade in my RL for one. Especially if they could maintain the exceptionally smooth and quiet ride quality.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For larger trucks and SUVs, body-on-frame rules the roost. Honda doesn't do BoF. This is a good read, and might help justify why Honda doesn't build something larger:

I'm sure in Honda's way of thinking, the Ridgeline is a monstrously large vehicle by their standards. The only thing larger that they build is HondaJet.

Now, if only they'd build a smaller pickup truck...
And speaking on the Honda jet (which I have had the pleasure of seeing in person) is another feat of magnificent Honda engineering where a company stepped into the private jet segment developed a design that was out of left field in comparison to current design and then to top it all off passed the FAA right regulations on their first go around! If that isn’t impressive engineering I don’t know what is. Obviously Honda Jet is working out for them. I read an article a few weeks ago where a Hawaiian company had ordered 15 Honda Jets. Thanks for the article I’ll have to give that a read. That is another good point that Honda doesn’t even own a BoF design and would have to innovate from scratch. Wouldn’t a full size BoF be majestic though! I couldn’t imagine how they would design the drivetrain underneath though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts