Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen a G2 RL commercial other than the Super Bowl sheep?
Honda is dragging it's feet again on getting the word out on this truck.
They wonder why previous RL sales were low. History most likely will repeat itself. I just don't understand...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone seen a G2 RL commercial other than the Super Bowl sheep?

Honda is dragging it's feet again on getting the word out on this truck.

They wonder why previous RL sales were low. History most likely will repeat itself. I just don't understand...

Seems like the current vehicle supply isn't meeting the demand as is (based on what I see moving locally and the several ppl still waiting for delivery in the forum). I don't blame them for waiting to advertise until they have a surplus of vehicles they need to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
This was huge discussion on the G1. The thing I think most of us forget is that the Ridgeline is a filler production vehicle in plant with fixed capacity. A red haired stepchild if you will. A plant that makes at least two other highly popular vehicles, Odyssey & Pilot. Honda is only interested in selling all that they produce, not an unlimited number. It is a tightrope they like to walk for some reason. But part of it has to do with plant utilization, part of it is fleet fuel and ECO numbers, part is Corporate Strategy. Its not just make and sell as many as possible. They will never advertise it like they do the big money cars...Accord & Civic.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Seems like the current vehicle supply isn't meeting the demand as is (based on what I see moving locally and the several ppl still waiting for delivery in the forum). I don't blame them for waiting to advertise until they have a surplus of vehicles they need to move.
I agree. No need to spend money on ads when they're selling all they can make.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
They will never advertise it like they do the big money cars...Accord & Civic.
That's why those cars sell! Advertising and pushing the product.
But, you're probably right, Honda build's a vehicle that they only want to sell a few...????
They want to sell every Ridgeline they can make. The problem is that they can't make that many, unless they do some major production changes, that cost lots of $$$, for something that may or may not materialize. As a conservative company, they seem to be comfortable making what few they can, and selling every one of them.

It does help the resale value of the truck, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That's why those cars sell! Advertising and pushing the product.
But, you're probably right, Honda build's a vehicle that they only want to sell a few...????
Agreed. Doesn't make sense in the normal "marketing" sort of way.

Somewhat famous for niche products (think Element, S2000, DelSol), Honda's success is based in a different approach. It is truly "different" than most other companies that design product and then adjust production to what actually sells (exception to this is Accord and Civic). They pretty much make what they want to sell. If it doesn't sell well enough, they kill it. They are also hugely protective of their "ECO-Green" reputation, which larger American full and medium trucks (no matter how green they are) don't naturally fit into. It will be interesting to see what happens to the RL over the long haul with Ito now gone. Hopefully the engineers will take Honda back to their roots for innovation and quality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Things I haven't seen re: 2017 Ridgeline

- A Ridgeline television commercial
- A Ridgeline mentioned in a Honda dealer commercial
- A Ridgeline Radio commercial
- A Ridgeline mentioned in a Honda radio commercial
- A Ridgeline magazine ad
- A Ridgeline mentioned in a Honda dealer newspaper ad
- A Ridgeline on the road (in the San Diego area)

Honda is obviously drip-feeding these into the market as the dealers don't have any on the lot, especially in E and BE.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts

Honda is obviously drip-feeding these into the market as the dealers don't have any on the lot, especially in E and BE.
I actually saw an online dealer ad for a Phoenix dealer that had an RL in the picture along with several other Hondas; however, no mention of the RL in the ad at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Want to chime in here... I have been following these forums for a while as I am looking into a new Ridgeline in the next couple months.

I work on the corporate side for a large dealership group and we have a Honda store. Our store is scheduled to receive 4 or 5 Ridgeline's every month for the foreseeable future. No more, no less. That said, there is a chance supply may eventually run low as this is not a high production vehicle. Honda isn't advertising more because they simply don't need or want to. Every Ridgeline our store gets is gone within a couple days and we have never had more than one on the lot at any given time since they started showing up at the end of June.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We are all passionate about this vehicle just like others who want or own another brand or model are about thiers. I bet the guy who drives a Ford Raptor wonders why there are almost zero commercials about his truck. Haven't seen a Volkswagen commercial in a few years, or the Mazda MX-5 (Miata)...

Probably could name ALOT of specific vehicles that have not been in many advertisements recently cause none are needed.

We own or will soon own a Ridge. Was this thread started cause we were worried that not enough people would buy one?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Haven't seen a Volkswagen commercial in a few years
Maybe I'm just watching the wrong channels; however, I watch very little TV and see way too many VW commercials.....funny how that is the exact opposite of you..

In other news, the RL does not seem to need to be advertised, at least at this time, due to the demand for almost all of the trucks leaving the factory....

·
Registered
415 Posts
I actually saw a double page ad in the latest Mens Journal magazine when I got it in the mail yesterday. They even had a mini review on the RL further back in the Gear section. Blew my freakin mind!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

Ridgeline News is all over the place. The only thing on your list I agree with is the Ridgeline TV commercial. As of today I have not seen one. The Honda dealer commercials advertising the all new 2017 Ridgeline I have seen individual dealerships say come in and test drive or purchase ect. I assume there are plenty of actual print articles in newspapers because you see them posted on internet from newspapers. I got a copy August 2016 Motor Trend First Drive Honda Ridgeline at top of front Cover. I want to get other print mags with 2017 Ridgeline articles. Also have not seen one on the road yet. But all reviews are favorable with a few gripes on things. There are some sour grapes on here that do not like the G2 Ridgeline and some that have bashed it. That's their opinion but I like it. Some of the article writers are honest and say if you want more of an off road type vehicle look elsewhere. But many of the same say this G2 Ridgeline is hard to beat on road where it shines as an everyday usable vehicle with great road manners. Every review/article says about the same thing. So the advertising is heavy for G2 Ridgeline I think they will have stand alone 2017 Ridgeline TV commercials about football season start that is soon. Honda knows about their lack of advertisement of original Ridgeline. My salesperson told me the problem with Ridgeline was advertisement. He was at that San Antonio launch I bet Honda told them this or some were well aware of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts