Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like they are going to pay employees full pay while they're down. Says they are going to re-open in a week, but I've got my doubts.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
We need everyone to stay home and quit hording TP at the stores and we will all get through this. These idiots ignoring the CDC are going to keep this going and going and our whole economy will go down with it.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
We need everyone to stay home and quit hording TP at the stores and we will all get through this. These idiots ignoring the CDC are going to keep this going and going and our whole economy will go down with it.
Folks don't have the discipline. Walking around my neighborhood, all the kids are out playing. Even my extended family members don't get it. We are just digging ourselves into a deeper hole. If the current measures fail folks aren't going to like the next level of intervention. As someone who lived through 9/11 and superstorm Sandy I'll never trust anyone again and will instead save myself and my family.

·
Administrator
14,638 Posts
We need everyone to stay home and quit hording TP at the stores and we will all most of us will get through this. These idiots ignoring the CDC are going to keep this going and going and our whole economy will go down with it.
I fixed part of that for you in bold.

I'm generally more of a realist than a pessimist or optimist, but I'm afraid there's nothing short of a vaccine in a matter of weeks (which is not possible) or a divine intervention (if you believe in that sort of thing) - if even those - could stop the downward spiral into the rabbit hole at this point.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,597 Posts
IMO realists recognize that peer pressure among known friends and family is likely one of the most effective tools to limit "idiocy" of the sort mentioned by @TommyDeVito and spread actual adherence with CDC guidelines rather than spread the disease.

I urge everyone to use every opportunity in their interactions via phone, text, and email with friends and family to beg those folks to stay calm, stay home, not hoard, etc as advised by the CDC.

Active advocacy for sanity and responsibility by and among trusted friends will go a long way toward countering the "idiocy" and maximizing the opportunity for least-damaging outcomes for all. That type of one-on-one (distinct from face-to-face) advocacy is contagious, likely the most beneficial sort of contagion at the moment.

You may label that "optimistic" .... try calling it "realistic" ..... it can do nothing but help. Please.

IMO

(above aimed at both no-one in specific and everyone specifically)

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,597 Posts
If it's accurate, some measures are being greatly over used
If you read Prof. Bishara's quotes carefully, none of the CDC recommended actions are "over used" / inappropriate.

One key is his recognition (along with the CDC's) that, in the immediate term, health care systems are not equipped to deal with a sudden peak of the disease (and that is now acknowledged fact for the USA healthcare system at this moment and likely continuing for the near term). The tragic implications of that coupled with failure to timely implement extreme measures to limit infection is manifest in Italy, among other places.

Assuming he is correct that "most of those infected won't even know it", that portends rampant spreading of the disease, including to those who are subject to life-threatening repercussions, by an unknowing carrier population absent adherence to CDC guidelines.

To disdain any CDC recommended measure designed to limit the spread of infection as "over used", and thereby to implicitly encourage selective disregard of those measures, is an irresponsible individual act. If not creating risk for the actor, creating risk for those with whom the actor may come in contact. That's not my opinion, it's the considered opinion of the vast majority of health professionals around the world, Prof. Bishara's moment in the media notwithstanding.

None of this is cause for "panic" in the USA, and it seems our leaders are finally speaking in terms designed to convey that, and that message aimed at leadership is the underlying message from Prof Bishara. There is very good cause for individuals to act responsibly while staying calm in the face of the threat.

·
Registered
922 Posts
That article is excellent, and should be closely read and followed by EVERYONE. It doesn't contradict the CDC in any way. It simply asks for the FIRST thing out of everyone's mouth (and fingers on their keyboards) to be CALM.

That's not happening. It's not happening any too well in this thread, it's not happening hardly anywhere on the internet, and it's not happening in any mass media outlet I've seen, heard, or read. Every single one of those has people talking about the hysterical (even if phrased as though to suggest it's all other people doing that), playing ominous background music, speaking of the 'deadly' whatever, or repeating for the thousandth time today how awful things are and how it's 'only' getting (or going to get) worse. THAT's the irresponsible fear-mongering that NEEDS TO STOP.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Folks don't have the discipline. Walking around my neighborhood, all the kids are out playing. Even my extended family members don't get it. We are just digging ourselves into a deeper hole. If the current measures fail folks aren't going to like the next level of intervention. As someone who lived through 9/11 and superstorm Sandy I'll never trust anyone again and will instead save myself and my family.
They don’t have the discipline and they are absolutely pathetic. Wow times are hard, you need to stay home, watch tv, surf the internet, play video games, and eat home cooked food. Oh the horror. Hooked like crack addicts incessantly shopping, driving around, dining out, etc. It’s pathetic. People are dying. Stay home. Stay calm. TP will come back if people stop hoarding that and food, and everything else at the grocery store. They are so dumb they don’t understand if this extends, people are going to lose their jobs, their homes, and it will be the Great Recession #2.
I hit 4 major chain stores last night getting a modest supply of food. No TP or paper towels at any of the 4 stores. I’m hearing of queues when stores open in the mornings. I cannot do that, I have to work. I guess my shower head will turn into a bidet soon.

I don’t trust anyone either and have the means to defend myself in spades. I am worried about people’s health, and I’m even more worried for their livelihoods, especially small business. But even then I know the corporations will dump millions of employees as well. I’m so upset at the Chinese government trying to cover this up instead of getting the word out, big time. If anything, I pray we get through this, and rethink that country handling the bulk of our manufacturing.

Back on the topic, I have a feeling the Alabama plant will be closed longer than announced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts