Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it watertight?

Mine seams to leak a bit where the fold is and back where the tail gate closes into it.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
The answer is no. That is one of the reasons we did not get it. The Retrax is not completely watertight either, but we have it pretty darn close. We'll see how it does with a snow load in the next few months.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Honda Tonneau Cover

Can someone tell me if their Honda cover:

When it is folded, allow 2 person to sit on top like a bench? 300 LB weight?

3 persons? 400 Lb weight? thanks.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Re: Honda Tonneau Cover

Blue said:
Can someone tell me if their Honda cover:

When it is folded, allow 2 person to sit on top like a bench? 300 LB weight?

3 persons? 400 Lb weight? thanks.
I don't see where that would be a problem for two people (300 lbs) to sit on it. There is no rating for this on the cover.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Another question about it. Does it lock? If yes, does it also lock the tailgate?

RidgeInTheVille

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Yes, it locks over the tailgate so both are secured. The one that was installed at the dealer had a stiff or broken lock. We could not get it to work. I understand that demo items take a beating, but it gave us pause in thinking that the lock was poorly installed or cheesy and would seize up on us. It's one of the things we did not like about the OEM tonneau. I suggest you go to a dealer and take a good look at their tonneau to help you make up your mind.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Truckin,

So you ended up returning it and going with the Retrax? I am actually leaning toward the Retrax. Have you been happy with it? Did you add a tailgate lock?

Thanks

RidgeInTheVille

·
Registered
319 Posts
THe owners manual states that you should not sit on the cover but it is pretty ridgid and would hold at least one person. My thought is that the cover is more than strong enough but the sides of the bed that is mounts to are not as ridgid due to the composite material. I could see the bolts fail at the site of attachment. I think the lock mechanism is fine and don't forget you get the cover under warranty if installed at time of purchase. A BIG PLUS over the retrax. If the retrax is not water tight I don't see the advantage except more open bed space but them you lose all that space at the front on the bed down to the floor.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
RidgeInTheVille said:
Truckin,

So you ended up returning it and going with the Retrax? I am actually leaning toward the Retrax. Have you been happy with it? Did you add a tailgate lock?
No, we never got the OEM, we just thoroughly inspected it (and every other square inch of the tricked out Ridge at the dealer) when we visited frequently while waiting for our BLUE Ridge to be delivered. We did not like the cavern left in the front of the bed when it was in the open (folded in half) position. The locking mechanism looked troublesome to us. The Retrax was still in development stage, but it looked more functional for our needs. We ordered one within the first couple of weeks that they hit the market.

We have not added the tailgate lock and we may never add it. We needed a sense of security before the tailgate lock was available for our trip to Canada. We made our own version. It's not pretty, but it works fine. We hook the tailgate and then lock the tonneau cover. We actually don't have anything in the bed that often, but it's there now if we need it. I haven't ruled out getting the tailgate lock, it's just not a priority at this point.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1992&highlight=homemade+tailgate

You can look at this thread too and see the one that Ultra-Hog made that provided us with some inspiration when we came up with ours.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1295&page=3&pp=10&highlight=tailgate+lock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts