Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
14,013 Posts
Yeah, I really don't use those features, but I expect them to work since they are included with the vehicle. I had a similar experience - two different phones, but with three different Hondas over a two-year period.

I already knew what to try and tried everything before calling Honda as a last resort. The representative was courteous, but admitted she didn't have much support information available for the non-subscription version of HondaLink. She said if it was the newer 4G LTE subscription-based version, she had more in-depth troubleshooting information available.

I'm not quite sure what breaks the HondaLink functionality causing it to become intermittent or non-functional other than...time.

I suspect most people don't know about or use this feature and those that do probably don't care much if it stops working.

·
Registered
88 Posts
iOS app marginally useless

I've had the app on the phone since I purchased the RL. I was delighted that the app first notified me of a recall. But it was all downhill from there.

I had taken the Rl to the dealer and whatever needed to be repaired regarding the recall was completed. Yet, I could find no way of removing the annoying alert from the app.

Then the date. The date that's located sort of in the center of the screen, instead of being today's date is that for some several months ago and has been so for months.

Then I tried the app's feedback to get some answers. That was useless.

Then I tried calling on two different occasions the number provided. Both times I hung up after being on hold for longer than 10 minutes.

Now that I've described the event timeline, I feel better saying the app in its current form sucks. I deleted the app.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,053 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you have an Android phone with an older operation system than Android 6, HondaLink no longer works. Starting with HondaLink version 4.0.0 you must have Android 6 or higher.

So you old Android users need to upgrade or replace your phone, or dump the worthless HondaLink app, or get rid of your Honda.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
So, because I was curious I started to try and use HondaLink with my 2018 RTL-E.

1. I downloaded the app, and made sure it was turned on in the truck.
2. It connected relatively quickly and the local temperature appeared on the Honda Link Display.

So, what other functions does it have?

1. Communicate with Honda on recalls - This isn't used.
2. Send Odometer and Range to Phone - Doesn't Work and repeated attempts with Honda Tech Support could not change that.
3. Share Map with Vehicle - Basically, you could be on Google Maps and Share something to the Truck. This will work roughly 1 out of 10 times and then only have a significant delay. The Honda rep said - Well, that's sent through satellite and it doesn't always get there. To me, the only thing worse than doesn't work...is works once in a while.

That's about it for the feature set - My suggest, there's no real reason to install the app on your phone or ever waste any time with it. I wonder who at Honda thought this was reasonable technology to put in a 2018 vehicle?

...ken

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the run down. I just installed the app and I am going to try it later and I'll report back. I will say the current recalls show up in the app.

It would also be nice if I could get the trip meters to reset with refuel. Maybe the dealer can re-flash it.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Thanks for the run down. I just installed the app and I am going to try it later and I'll report back. I will say the current recalls show up in the app.

It would also be nice if I could get the trip meters to reset with refuel. Maybe the dealer can re-flash it.
Interesting - none of the recalls show for me nor does the odometer or range show. Good luck!

·
Administrator
14,013 Posts
If you search this forum for "HondaLink", you'll find dozens of posts on this feature and answers to all of your questions.

I'll comment further on #3: The route is sent from the your smartphone to the vehicle over a Bluetooth connection - not from satellites. The vehicle does not receive any data from GPS satellites other than the time of day. Map data is stored locally, the vehicle position is calculated from time signals received from multiple satellites, and traffic information comes from FM radio stations near large cities.

HondaLink has generally been a frustrating disappointment in each of the six Hondas I've owned that had it. It's operation is intermittent at best.

I no longer even bother installing the HondaLink app on my phone because I was annoyed by it opening itself randomly 50% of the time when I start the vehicle.

There are at least three different versions of HondaLink with different capabilities and different connection methods that are all called "HondaLink". Our Ridgelines have one of the older, less-capable versions. Newer versions display additional information. The newest version operates over 4G LTE which allows additional capability such as remote start (except in the Pilot/Passport), light flash, horn honk, view tire pressures, fuel level, oil life, odometer, door/hook/trunk status, lock/unlock, etc. from anywhere in the world. I expect the 2020 Ridgeline to include this version except without remote start.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,053 Posts
If you search this forum for "HondaLink", you'll find dozens of posts on this feature and answers to all of your questions.

I'll comment further on #3: The route is sent from the your smartphone to the vehicle over a Bluetooth connection - not from satellites. The vehicle does not receive any data from GPS satellites other than the time of day. Map data is stored locally, the vehicle position is calculated from time signals received from multiple satellites, and traffic information comes from FM radio stations near large cities.

HondaLink has generally been a frustrating disappointment in each of the six Hondas I've owned that had it. It's operation is intermittent at best.

I no longer even bother installing the HondaLink app on my phone because I was annoyed by it opening itself randomly 50% of the time when I start the vehicle.

There are at least three different versions of HondaLink with different capabilities and different connection methods that are all called "HondaLink". Our Ridgelines have one of the older, less-capable versions. Newer versions display additional information. The newest version operates over 4G LTE which allows additional capability such as remote start, light flash, horn honk, view tire pressures, fuel level, oil life, odometer, door/hook/trunk status, lock/unlock, etc. from anywhere in the world. I expect the 2020 Ridgeline to include this version except without remote start.
Here's a few...

HondaLink send location question...

Hondalink app IOS functionality

·
Administrator
14,013 Posts
yeah, Nissan and Mazda similar apps are similarly useless... in my opinion.
GM's similar OnStar app works very well. One could joke that it's a necessity given GM's reliability or lack thereof. OnStar has a lot of experience with these systems in both time and numbers in their favor.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I know - I did search, but Honda put out a new version of the app recently (4.0). Two revs later it started connecting again.

I also know the satellite story was just wrong, but that's what Honda support will say. My experience with their support has been laughable. They're polite, but have little training - the one I had today actually read her queues to me. "If applicable we will reset the data in your Accord."

The only feature of any real worth is the map transfer and that just doesn't work very well.

Thanks for the info.

There are at least three different versions of HondaLink with different capabilities and different connection methods that are all called "HondaLink". Our Ridgelines have one of the older, less-capable versions. Newer versions display additional information. The newest version operates over 4G LTE which allows additional capability such as remote start, light flash, horn honk, view tire pressures, fuel level, oil life, odometer, door/hook/trunk status, lock/unlock, etc. from anywhere in the world. I expect the 2020 Ridgeline to include this version except without remote start.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So far, the app is updating the odometer and range on each drive. The recall for the fuel pump cover shows up in the app, but not on the head unit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The app worked okay for me. Showed the mileage, VIN, where I parked (except when I parked in a parking garage, obviously), and any maintenance minders. I could schedule service appointments with it, too, though the process was somewhat cumbersome. Don't recall seeing an area for recalls or uploading maps. I must have had an older version of the app installed before I reset my phone (see this thread), because I just pulled it up and it looks completely different now. I'll have to test it out tonight and see if it works.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've found the older app version was better for sending destination data to the RL. Now the app is usually stuck in the 'Connecting' mode. For my 2017 RTL-E, if I 'dismiss' the neverending connecting message, it'll know where the RL is on the map and it will connect to show local weather, but sending destinations doesn't work anymore.

No range or odometer data is shown on the app either for my truck.

I even unpaired and re-paired my phone to the RL just to try some obvious stuff.

Versus UConnect (FCA) and BlueLink (Hyundai) it is a horrible system. Both the aforementioned systems work perfect and are actually useful...Especially the remote capabilities they have like remote start from your phone up to a mile away...

·
Registered
911 Posts
I did talk to the Tech Support at Honda but I use the word 'tech' lightly as they read off a script. I have the latest Android version of the app and I've never been able to see Miles Remaining, etc. (phone is a Samsung Galaxy 7 with latest firmware).

Basically, the only thing left for me to do is a factory reset on the info system and not sure after 2.5 years and 51k miles I want to re-enter my saved nav addresses, etc. Plus just loaded the 2019 Nav Update.

So, I accepting living with the limited functionality as HondaLink doesn't do much as it is...

·
Registered
20 Posts
...snip...phone is a Samsung Galaxy 7 with latest firmware...snip...
From what I've been able to puzzle out you would need to downgrade to a Note 4 or a S6 to get the Hondalink App to work. And even then it would probably still be a carpshoot.

FWIW, I tried the factory reset (only had the truck a week, so not much to lose). It made no difference with an S8.

Ed

·
Registered
925 Posts
I did talk to the Tech Support at Honda but I use the word 'tech' lightly as they read off a script. I have the latest Android version of the app and I've never been able to see Miles Remaining, etc. (phone is a Samsung Galaxy 7 with latest firmware).

Basically, the only thing left for me to do is a factory reset on the info system and not sure after 2.5 years and 51k miles I want to re-enter my saved nav addresses, etc. Plus just loaded the 2019 Nav Update.

So, I accepting living with the limited functionality as HondaLink doesn't do much as it is...
I have a Samsung S7 Edge and it seems to work. Just checked now inside the house with the truck off and mileage looks right and the range looks the same as last night when I parked. It's not that amazing an app though I rarely use it myself. Just at the odd time booking service when I don't have the truck handy to check the odo.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I installed a while back and then un-installed it after about a week. It's trash in my opinion. Adroid for Auto on the other hand, is a very nice APP to use.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts