1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda to gauge reaction to its Ridgeline street racer SEMA vehicle
KATHY JACKSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 11/8/05

LAS VEGAS -- If Charles Baer has his way, Honda will have a souped-up Ridgeline pickup on U.S. roads soon.

Baer, 29, is responsible for the exterior design of the Ridgeline Street Sport concept shown at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show last week. His colleague, Kimberly Marte, designed the interior. Both designers work at Honda's design center in Torrance, Calif.

The jet black pickup is 4 inches wider than the current model and sports 22-inch wheels. Functional aluminum side exhaust pipes give it a street-savvy look.

Baer denies that he borrowed cues from the defunct Lincoln Blackwood pickup, but there are subtle similarities.

"The Blackwood was more of a luxury truck," he says.

"This is to embrace someone who wants the street-racing look. It's for young people."

On the exterior, Baer's truck features a wide and sporty fascia with fog lamps. Aluminum accents adorn each side.

There are no exterior door handles; the vehicle opens via remote control.

"Honda needs variations of the Ridgeline," he says, to attract younger buyers.

Jeff Conrad, vice president for advertising and public relations for American Honda Motor Co., says the company will gauge the reaction of SEMA visitors.

Conrad says, "We'll see what type of feedback we get and adjust accordingly."

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If Honda truly wants to belly up to the bar and admit that they totally screwed up the introduction of this groundbreaking vehicle, and they want to do something to address the lackluster sales, then build this truck as the Ridgeline Si from the RTL base and price it at $1,000 over. Offer two colors, black, and a new color for this model only.

That's my idea and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
shovelhd said:
If Honda truly wants to belly up to the bar and admit that they totally screwed up the introduction of this groundbreaking vehicle, and they want to do something to address the lackluster sales, then build this truck as the Ridgeline Si from the RTL base and price it at $1,000 over. Offer two colors, black, and a new color for this model only.

That's my idea and I'm stickin' to it.
With a turbo or supercharger right? 325HP? ok, I will buy it.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Not at $1,000 over.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
5S Dude said:
Honda to gauge reaction to its Ridgeline street racer SEMA vehicle
KATHY JACKSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 11/8/05

LAS VEGAS -- If Charles Baer has his way, Honda will have a souped-up Ridgeline pickup on U.S. roads soon.

Baer, 29, is responsible for the exterior design of the Ridgeline Street Sport concept shown at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show last week. His colleague, Kimberly Marte, designed the interior. Both designers work at Honda's design center in Torrance, Calif.

The jet black pickup is 4 inches wider than the current model and sports 22-inch wheels. Functional aluminum side exhaust pipes give it a street-savvy look.

Baer denies that he borrowed cues from the defunct Lincoln Blackwood pickup, but there are subtle similarities.

"The Blackwood was more of a luxury truck," he says.

"This is to embrace someone who wants the street-racing look. It's for young people."

On the exterior, Baer's truck features a wide and sporty fascia with fog lamps. Aluminum accents adorn each side.

There are no exterior door handles; the vehicle opens via remote control.

"Honda needs variations of the Ridgeline," he says, to attract younger buyers.

Jeff Conrad, vice president for advertising and public relations for American Honda Motor Co., says the company will gauge the reaction of SEMA visitors.

Conrad says, "We'll see what type of feedback we get and adjust accordingly."
I really enjoyed your communication. I think I saw pics of the truck you were describing and it is really nice. It would be great to see Honda offer more variation. Keep up the great work!:) :)

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I hung around at the Honda display for about two hours just to gauge the reaction of the other attendees regarding the black sport truck and from listening to their comments. I did not hear one negative word! Most of the attention in the Honda exhibit surrounded the black sport version as it spun around on its revolving pedestal. You really have to see this thing in person! Photos of any kind can’t convey how neat it really is. Notice the blue flakes in the black paint are much more pronounced than the standard OEM black. :p

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think the RL is a bit overpriced for the youth market they are aiming at with that damn neon bling crap...specially once you consider that bodykit and wheels probably adds 6-7k to sticker price and you know they aren't gonna offer it in anything but RTL/navi.

Love the concept truck, i do. But if Honda is going to get younger buyers I see them losing the 3 versions of the RTL and having one, maybe 2 (with navi/without), the RTS then gets an optional roof, and the RT will get an element-type makeover, so its not the 'lowend model' its just the rough around the edges model that also just happens to be more affordable. They could probably toss some unpainted plastic cladding on the RT , some 'durable washout' type flooring and save good $$ on paint/trimwork dropping that price point even lower.

These engines already have some serious compression ratios for running on pump gas, if they were going to supercharge the 3.5 I don't think they'd do it in a production model unfortunately. I think we'll have to wait for the aftermarket but I don't think they'll let us down...lets just hope the tranny survives :D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
5S Dude said:
Hey, what's Austin doing there in the show? Austin is the guy in the white shirt and khakis. He's my twin brother!! (Not!! he is a mirror image of myself though:) )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts