Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm up in the air on this deflector, looks great, but I would like one that I could remove when I wanted to. Honda instructions show having to use 3M protective tape, no problem with the tape except when you remove the deflector the tape is there, won't look too good. For those of you that have installed the deflector does the mounting bracket have any clearance between the tape on the hood and the bracket, or is it a snug fit. I guess if there was some clearance then you could put the 3M tape on the bracket and not the hood, but still doesn't solve the problem with the outside mounting nuts that have to stick on the hood. Any ideas on this.

trainman

· Registered
160 Posts
I never quite understood the concept of the "Air Deflector".
What is it supposed to do exactly? Deflect air? Bugs? I'm pretty sure it does neither. Deflect them where? Doesn't stop bugs from hitting the windshield.
Why worry about protecting a tiny 3-4 inch strip on the front of your vehicle, when the entire remaining front of the vehicle and the hood is exposed. Why on earth would you want an ugly piece of plastic hanging on the front of your sleek new vehicle? I say if you're up in the air about one of these, the concept is just that...Air.

· Registered
606 Posts
Which style were you looking at? Honda offers the taller one, which is the same as the Pilot, and then the low profile deflector, new for the Ridgeline. I opted for the low pro one, because the front of the hood will over time accumulate tons of rock chips unless you protect it. The low pro has 2 brackets, and most of what holds it onto the hood is the 3m tape. This one would not be removable, well not easily. I also opted for this style because it is hardly noticeable on my black paint.

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never quite understood the concept of the "Air Deflector".
What is it supposed to do exactly? Deflect air? Bugs? I'm pretty sure it does neither. Deflect them where? Doesn't stop bugs from hitting the windshield.
Why worry about protecting a tiny 3-4 inch strip on the front of your vehicle, when the entire remaining front of the vehicle is exposed. Why on earth would you want an ugly piece of plastic hanging on the front of your sleek new vehicle? I say if you're up in the air about one of these, the concept is just that...Air.
Sorry to hear you missed out in life when it comes to how things work, I won't answer your response as I'm sure it's over your head.

trainman

· Registered
160 Posts
Which style were you looking at? Honda offers the taller one, which is the same as the Pilot, and then the low profile deflector, new for the Ridgeline. I opted for the low pro one, because the front of the hood will over time accumulate tons of rock chips unless you protect it. The low pro has 2 brackets, and most of what holds it onto the hood is the 3m tape. This one would not be removable, well not easily. I also opted for this style because it is hardly noticeable on my black paint.
He has a 2008 RL.

· Registered
160 Posts
Sorry to hear you missed out in life when it comes to how things work, I won't answer your response as I'm sure it's over your head.

trainman
So explain it to me then...
Exactly what I thought, you don't even know why you want one. I know exactly what it does...Nothing! It must be cause it looks cool...lol:act064:

· Registered
166 Posts
I have the low profile hood air deflector. I love it. In time it will save the front of my hood from rock chips etc, my RL is white so it is noticible but it dosent bother me. Removing it would be a project. However i put it on myself and it was fairly easy&straightforward.

· Registered
606 Posts
He has a 2008 RL.
SMH, I can read a signature. Since he asked this in the Gen 2 forum, one would think that he would be asking about the 2nd Gen Ridgeline deflector, if he wanted to know about a deflector for his 2008 he would have asked in the Gen 1 forums.

. For those of you that have installed the deflector does the mounting bracket have any clearance between the tape on the hood and the bracket, or is it a snug fit. I guess if there was some clearance then you could put the 3M tape on the bracket and not the hood, but still doesn't solve the problem with the outside mounting nuts that have to stick on the hood. Any ideas on this.

trainman
Here is the best I can answer your question with. The brackets are very snug. There is a clear sticker that is put over the hood edge to protect the paint, but then the bracket goes right around the hood edge. See pic below:

Here's the full install instructions:

http://www.hondapartworld.com/image/data/2017 RIDGELINE/2017 Ridgeline Air D.pdf

Attachments

· Premium Member
202 Posts
I installed an aftermarket (non-oem) on my Ridgeline. It did not require any tape. Stell, I wouldn't want to install and uninstall.

I have had vehicles with and without hood air deflectors installed. The only real difference I noted was more chips in the paint on the hood without an "air deflector". I also like the way they look. Anyway, it was less than 60 bucks for me to install and was not difficult to do.

· Registered
606 Posts
I installed an aftermarket (non-oem) on my Ridgeline. It did not require any tape. Stell, I wouldn't want to install and uninstall.

I have had vehicles with and without hood air deflectors installed. The only real difference I noted was more chips in the paint on the hood without an "air deflector". I also like the way they look. Anyway, it was less than 60 bucks for me to install and was not difficult to do.
Interesting, got any pics? I have yet to see an aftermarket one. And you are correct, the only difference in vehicles that don't have them installed is the longevity of the hood paint. I had one on my Element and after 200K miles the hood was nearly in perfect condition.

Those who think a deflector keeps things off the windshield are sadly misinformed or just throwing shizz against the wall.

· Registered
231 Posts
I looked at both of the Honda deflectors. I decided that the mounting of both of them is way to permanent, especially the tape on the paint. And, they do not look great either imho. I think this is a far better option:

2017 HONDA RIDGELINE RTL-T Hood(18 Inch) Fenders Mirrors

Plus you can do other areas if needed.

· Registered
926 Posts
I myself have never been a fan of these plastic add ons. No concern with the rest of the front end? I mean you might as well drive around with one of these TOAD guards on the front of your rig.

I am being a bit sarcastic of course. ;)

· Registered
3,718 Posts
I have the low profile hood air deflector. I love it. In time it will save the front of my hood from rock chips etc, my RL is white so it is noticible but it dosent bother me. Removing it would be a project. However i put it on myself and it was fairly easy&straightforward.
I have put the AVS Aeroskin on my Accord and CRV and think they are an economical alternative to protect the leading edge of the hood from chips. Installed myself, not very difficult and I believe that the skins were less than 50 bucks each. I'm not too concerned about the plastic bumper getting hit. I have also installed gutter guard mesh to protect the condenser on other Hondas. On the RL, the grill looks wide open for a rock to damage the condenser so I will look into a solution.

· Registered
166 Posts
I have put the AVS Aeroskin on my Accord and CRV and think they are an economical alternative to protect the leading edge of the hood from chips. Installed myself, not very difficult and I believe that the skins were less than 50 bucks each. I'm not too concerned about the plastic bumper getting hit. I have also installed gutter guard mesh to protect the condenser on other Hondas. On the RL, the grill looks wide open for a rock to damage the condenser so I will look into a solution.
I was thinking about that too but if i was going to go that route i would just wrap the whole front end in that 3M protective adhesive stuff. It would cost like a grand or so, but i dont know. I wouldn't wanna put that stuff on myself just because i am very anal with my RL. I have had the thing for 3 months and have about 1300 miles on it. I barely drive it, and when i do its on local roads not major highways were rock chips etc are more prone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.