Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 RTL-E w/ 20k+ miles appears to suffer from incurable, chronic hood flutter.
Its been to the dealership 3X… 1st time for adjustment, 2nd time for adhesive on the frame structure and the 3rd time for the alleged “fix kit”. No change… the hood still looks and feels like it’s going to fly open as soon as you hit 65-70mph.
I really like my truck, but the excessive hood flutter makes my wife and I very uncomfortable traveling …waiting for the seemingly inevitable hood flying off!
Is there a next step or fix?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Order from Amazon a tube of Auto Body Sealant 08300. Open hood, remove engine mat and put the sealant in every place the hood attaches to the frame. Fill in the entire areas, using the entire tube if necessary. Let cure and test. This fixed my hood. Did this after I had the dealership apply the TSB for this issue, as they scrimped on the use of the sealant. Will add more if I see any movement. Good so far out to 85 MPH.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,087 Posts
My 2019 RTL-E w/ 20k+ miles appears to suffer from incurable, chronic hood flutter.
Its been to the dealership 3X… 1st time for adjustment, 2nd time for adhesive on the frame structure and the 3rd time for the alleged “fix kit”. No change… the hood still looks and feels like it’s going to fly open as soon as you hit 65-70mph.
I really like my truck, but the excessive hood flutter makes my wife and I very uncomfortable traveling …waiting for the seemingly inevitable hood flying off!
Is there a next step or fix?
In addition to doing the sealer yourself (to get it done right), make sure you get the hood latch recall done. The recall is to keep the hood from flying off, not to stop the fluttering.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
92 Posts
My 2020 recently developed the flutter. Actually, it’s the first issue of any kind with the truck and it’s got 52K miles on it now. I did the sealant treatment in about 45 minutes using the entire tube. It solved my problem completely.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had a 2018 that had the flutter. Not sure but I think they just added an aluminum skin to the hood and kept the old structure without any changes. So it seems to have left an oil canning condition. Hard to fix without adding stiffener
I think that is part of the redesign of the hood and front end. The jello effect on my 2018 drove me crazy, they screwed
around for 2 years before deciding to redesigning the hood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts