Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else experiencing significant hood movement at highway speeds?

Our BE has the hood air deflector (dealer installed and it's the regular - not low profile).

We've noticed that above 60 mph the hood will tend to lift. We've been on a road trip from Florida to Colorado and back and it's especially scary when a large truck passes in the other direction. It looks like it's shaking up to a 3" vertical displacement sometimes!

We are going to remove the deflector to see if it helps.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The only time I noticed my hood moving like that was due to me being an idiot and forgetting that I had accidentally hit the hood release. Other than that one time, no.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Our BE has the hood air deflector (dealer installed and it's the regular - not low profile).

We've noticed that above 60 mph the hood will tend to lift. We've been on a road trip from Florida to Colorado and back and it's especially scary when a large truck passes in the other direction. It looks like it's shaking up to a 3" vertical displacement sometimes!

Is your hood made of plastic?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine seemed to move about the same even before I added the Honda deflector. I was hoping the defector would settle the hood movement down, but no luck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing significant hood movement at highway speeds? ... It looks like it's shaking up to a 3" vertical displacement sometimes! We are going to remove the deflector to see if it helps.
Mine seemed to move about the same even before I added the Honda deflector. I was hoping the defector would settle the hood movement down, but no luck.
Does the hood just rise up and stay, or is it "fluttering?"

Can you easily lift either front corner of your hood by hand? Or, if you press downward on the corner, does it easily deflect?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Silver one that I test drove had a lot of flexing/vibration of the hood. During that time of day the sun was reflecting off it and causing some distraction. I checked it out, and the hood seemed properly latched.

Still waiting for the "soft-down" tailgate before I buy one. Hopefully by then, there will be some inventory and some negotiation room. I can't stand paying "retail".

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't have an air deflector yet but when I go through the car wash my flexes quite a bit. I don't notice it while driving however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
166 Posts

Make sure the round rubber adjusters on each forward corner are adjusted so they touch the hood. I had to adjust mine so the hood was flush with the height of the fenders.

·
Registered
227 Posts

I test drove an early vin RTL at a dealership a couple weeks ago. Three things I noticed right of. Steering pull and steering wheel misalignment. Back of hood pulsated up and down at highway speeds. Not a good first impression.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FYI we are still seeing these hood issues. Heading back to the dealer for more investigation. They made some adjustments a couple of months ago but no resolution so far. We haven't been aggressive about the situation but that's about to change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The edge closest to the windshield does flutter at highway speeds. I think this is because Honda used thin gauge steel (or aluminum) for the hood and didn't put a lot of stiffening underneath. I don't think it's unsafe, but it's a bit unnerving and annoying. Perhaps putting some insulation (dynamat) underneath will help.

1 - 20 of 357 Posts