Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

341 - 357 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Has anyone used stuff like Dynamat Xtreme to help the issue?
Use this instead, 3M 08300. Color is not clear but tan which doesn't matter, its behind the hood blanket, you don't see it. Much of the hood under there is primer color anyway where you glue. I think the factory is gluing these hoods before the primer has fully dried, or a chemical miss match, causing the joint to just lets go. The TSB shows specific locations they want glued, but there are many more location on the hood where the sealer separated. I use one 10 oz tube to do both of mine applying at as many spots I could get to. Hood's have been rock solid.

TSB 17-083r2 covers 2017 thru 2019, and most likely will get another update to include the 2020.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone have the TSB number? I have had the same issue since my 2017 was about six months old. Not terrible most of the time but at highway speeds on a windy day it is noticeable. If they did order me a new hood, maybe I would get it in black and black out the tailgate. I already have the OEM black fender flares on the steel gray truck.

·
Registered
807 Posts
8 months and 11,000 miles into ownership and we are still awaiting to see any flutter, what circumstances are typically needed to create this phenomenon?

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing significant hood movement at highway speeds?

Our BE has the hood air deflector (dealer installed and it's the regular - not low profile).

We've noticed that above 60 mph the hood will tend to lift. We've been on a road trip from Florida to Colorado and back and it's especially scary when a large truck passes in the other direction. It looks like it's shaking up to a 3" vertical displacement sometimes!

We are going to remove the deflector to see if it helps.
Is your Ridgeline newer 2G version? I heard Honda was using lighter materials for the hood construction in the new generation Ridgeline.
If after removing bug / stone guard there is still issues, try adhering a dampening product to the underside of the hood.
This type of product is used in cab liners and sound deadening. The object here is to add mass to the hood so that it is more stable and not as susceptible to movement or vibration caused by airflow over the hood at highway speeds.

·
Registered
452 Posts
8 months and 11,000 miles into ownership and we are still awaiting to see any flutter, what circumstances are typically needed to create this phenomenon?

Bill
Not all hoods have the separation. Mine is good also. When it’s bad, you’ll notice in car washes as the blowers are removing the water and on two lane roads as larger vehicles pass you, (oncoming vehicles). Strong crosswinds can also cause the fluttering.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Anyone have the TSB number? I have had the same issue since my 2017 was about six months old. Not terrible most of the time but at highway speeds on a windy day it is noticeable. If they did order me a new hood, maybe I would get it in black and black out the tailgate. I already have the OEM black fender flares on the steel gray truck.
Updated post #341 with TSB.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MtMan thanks for posting the updated TSB. I need to bring mine by my local dealer. I have noticed significant hood flutter at highway speeds for several months and did not know this was a common issue until I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks everyone for posting your experiences.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the 2019 RTL-E, seems like every issue I have noticed prior to this forum has been talked about in the forum. Same issue. Regularly do 75+ commuting. Has anyone else noticed the brackets (braces) for the the tips of the quarter panels (by the headlight) delaminate too?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Our BE has the hood air deflector (dealer installed and it's the regular - not low profile).

We've noticed that above 60 mph the hood will tend to lift. We've been on a road trip from Florida to Colorado and back and it's especially scary when a large truck passes in the other direction. It looks like it's shaking up to a 3" vertical displacement sometimes!

Yes, my 2018 model, bought used with 23k miles occasionally flutters. No deflector is installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have the 2019 BE. The hood waves like a flag at highway speeds. Notice it the most when passing Semis.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have the 2019 BE. The hood waves like a flag at highway speeds. Notice it the most when passing Semis.
It sounds like you need to have the TSB installed. I wonder if Honda got this problem fixed on the 2020 models. Any ‘20s with this issue yet?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I haven't noticed it on my 2019. Haven't been watching for it, but the way it's been described it sounds like it would be obvious.

341 - 357 of 357 Posts