Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
401 - 420 of 498 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Finally got to 15% oil life left, and taking in soon for the first oil change. Called the dealer and said I wanted the oil change and to address a warranty item - the fluttering hood - and the guy said he'd never heard of it. Ugh.

I'm not "mechanical" - probably because I don't have much interest in it - but am 90% certain I can do the re-glue, as described by you guys here. However, I want to at least "create a paper trail" with Honda, as some have mentioned, and as a matter of principal I do want them to fix it.

After my call to Service I googled "Ridgeline hood flutter". Most of the results were from the ROC :))), and I found and printed TSB-083, the document addressing the issue. Guess I'll just take the truck in and show the service advisor the TSB/what I want done, and see if he or she agrees. I really want to avoid having them just tightening the hood latch (etc.) and potentially misaligning the seams; hopefully I can get them to go right to the re-gluing.

Any coaching points or possibly a "pep talk" as I go in?

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
You could pull the panel on the underside of the hood before going in and show them the problem when you take it in.

Reactions: Pleease

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E - Scarlet
26 Posts
Yes, I have noticed hood flutter at the end of the hood closest to the windshield while driving at hi speed (some) and during a brushless car wash (a lot!). Traded in a 2012 Odyssey TE and never had this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see many past questions about hood flutter and I have had my 2019 RTL E back for a supposed fix but I don't see much if any improvement. I really like my truck and have had it since new a year ago. But I've also never had a vehicle with this kind of movement to the hood. A semi coming at me think the hood will come off at times and early on I'd even stop to make sure my hood wasn't on that first position of being just partially latched.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've tried self medicating and it helps a bit. Also, I've gone in for some OCD desensitivity training. Still working on that . . .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Have you adjusted the 2 rubber bump stops (1 on each side)?......slight turns counter-clockwise raises the bump stops so they contact the underside of the hood for better support.

Reactions: Hillbilly Ridge

·
Registered
677 Posts
I see many past questions about hood flutter and I have had my 2019 RTL E back for a supposed fix but I don't see much if any improvement. I really like my truck and have had it since new a year ago. But I've also never had a vehicle with this kind of movement to the hood. A semi coming at me think the hood will come off at times and early on I'd even stop to make sure my hood wasn't on that first position of being just partially latched.
If they didn't fix it, take it back to them. Ask to talk to the service manager if needed. The hood on my 19 RTL is fine. I haven't noticed a thing. I can't say I've passed an oncoming semi on a two way road at highway speeds, so maybe it will move a bit then, but I've driven it enough on highways and in high winds to know it definitely does not have the problems that have been described on these forums, so it should definitely be fixable.

·
Registered
838 Posts
All your information is in here:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If you google Honda TSB 17-083 you'll see that the dealer is supposed to a) adjust the rubber stops that HRL383 mentions, and if that doesn't fix it, then b) re-glue the hood "skin" to the underlying framework with a particular adhesive (which several have done themselves), and that's supposed to actually work.

Noticed mine moving when driving at expressway speed into the wind, so told the service advisor at the first oil change (just last Friday) and he had them do "a". If I see more jiggle I'll take it back in.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you google Honda TSB 17-083 you'll see that the dealer is supposed to a) adjust the rubber stops that HRL383 mentions, and if that doesn't fix it, then b) re-glue the hood "skin" to the underlying framework with a particular adhesive (which several have done themselves), and that's supposed to actually work.

Noticed mine moving when driving at expressway speed into the wind, so told the service advisor at the first oil change (just last Friday) and he had them do "a". If I see more jiggle I'll take it back in.
Hopefully your dealer service dept would have actually inspected the adhesive joints after you alerted them to the problem. Of course we all know that a lot of places would just do the quick fix and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
I pried off the hood insulation and found several points on the hood where the adhesive had let go. So off to the dealer sometime in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing significant hood movement at highway speeds?

Our BE has the hood air deflector (dealer installed and it's the regular - not low profile).

We've noticed that above 60 mph the hood will tend to lift. We've been on a road trip from Florida to Colorado and back and it's especially scary when a large truck passes in the other direction. It looks like it's shaking up to a 3" vertical displacement sometimes!

We are going to remove the deflector to see if it helps.
Yes, I have a 2019 Ridgeline RTL.
I have my hood moving over 60mph also, like its made flimsy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I glued my hood last Friday with the recommended 3M sealant from this thread; used the entire tube. I only noticed 2 places where the factory glue let go on my hood ('19 with 11K miles). I noticed this right away on this truck and the black hood really makes it noticeable. The 3M sealant took a long time to dry; finally pulled it out of the garage Sunday to sit in the sun and cure. Today I had a 300 mile trip and what a difference that made! This fix took 90% of the flexing away. Most of the times when I passed a semi coming at me on 2 lane roads, it never moved. Very happy with the results!

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
146 Posts
We took ours out this week for a 500 mile highway trip and about an hour into it, the winds picked up and the truck traffic was thick. Whenever I got near a truck, my hood flexed, bounced like it was open. I pulled off the highway to see if I had somehow left it unlatched and it was tight. For the rest of the trip, I watched my hood moving whenever some air turbulence hit it.

This is on my list of things to bring up when I take the truck in for a dealer visit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got back from my 3rd trip(220 miles round trip) to the dealer to have the "jello" hood fixed. Every time I meet a semi on a 2 lane highway- the hood bubbles up and looks like it is going to fly off! They did the factory fix yesterday with sealant of some kind to fix the "delamination" of the hood panels. It didin't work. Anybody else out there having this problem?

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
Just got back from my 3rd trip(220 miles round trip) to the dealer to have the "jello" hood fixed. Every time I meet a semi on a 2 lane highway- the hood bubbles up and looks like it is going to fly off! They did the factory fix yesterday with sealant of some kind to fix the "delamination" of the hood panels. It didin't work. Anybody else out there having this problem?
Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @Wisconsincr25!

I moved your post to an existing thread on this subject. As you can see, this issue has been going on for years.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If it were me, I'd open it up and inspect the glue joints myself. Given that many of us don't have an issue, as far as I know, as long as the hood panel is glued properly to the frame you shouldn't have such an issue. My guess would be they didn't do a good job. It could possibly be something else, but besides the glue and bump stops I don't think there are any other known issues with the hood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing significant hood movement at highway speeds?

Our BE has the hood air deflector (dealer installed and it's the regular - not low profile).

We've noticed that above 60 mph the hood will tend to lift. We've been on a road trip from Florida to Colorado and back and it's especially scary when a large truck passes in the other direction. It looks like it's shaking up to a 3" vertical displacement sometimes!

We are going to remove the deflector to see if it helps.
Heck yes! My first trip down the highway on a windy day i thought the hood would fly up! No deflector on the hood either.

401 - 420 of 498 Posts