Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
481 - 500 of 552 Posts

·
Administrator
23,207 Posts
I'm not saying aluminum is the culprit, but it is interesting that Honda reverted to the use of a heavier steel hood on the 2021. I understand the design change, but why not keep the lighter aluminum unless there's a problem...or it costs too much.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've wondered about the heavy hood also. Seems like a step back. Maybe the stamping works better with an inexpensive steel vs managing the same thing with aluminum. Could be multiple factors involved.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Have there been any flutter issues reported here on the 2021s? My 2019's been adjusted twice - I believe with the re-glue done the second time - and it still happens a little. Doesn't freak me out, but come on Honda.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Administrator
23,207 Posts
Have there been any flutter issues reported here on the 2021s? My 2019's been adjusted twice - I believe with the re-glue done the second time - and it still happens a little. Doesn't freak me out, but come on Honda.
The 2021's hood is "completely different" than the 2017-2020 hood. Not only is the shape and structure different, but it's much heavier and made from steel instead of aluminum. I haven't seen any reports of hood flutter on the 2021 nor do I expect any given its heft and rigidity.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The 2021's hood is "completely different" than the 2017-2020 hood. Not only is the shape and structure different, but it's much heavier and made from steel instead of aluminum. I haven't seen any reports of hood flutter on the 2021 nor do I expect any given its heft and rigidity.
Thanks.

I like that improvement. I'm generally a fan of lightweight components, but not worth trading a few pounds for something that doesn't function properly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi all. It’s been a while. Can someone confirm if the TSB for the hood flutter is also applicable on 2019’s? I did get this fixed when I had my 2017. I can’t believe they didn’t address this issue with newer models

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hi all. It’s been a while. Can someone confirm if the TSB for the hood flutter is also applicable on 2019’s? I did get this fixed when I had my 2017. I can’t believe they didn’t address this issue with newer models
They've done the TSB work on my 2019. I can still occasionally detect a little jiggle, but seems about right for an aluminum hood.

Reactions: j2k99

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
301 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had this repair done more than once, or was given any grief about a 2nd time? Mine was done 3 years ago and now does some crazy flexing when passing large oncoming truck at high speeds on a 2-lane road. Noticed a couple instances recently where the rearward center of the hood bowed straight upward like someone pushing upwards from underneath.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had this repair done more than once, or was given any grief about a 2nd time? Mine was done 3 years ago and now does some crazy flexing when passing large oncoming truck at high speeds on a 2-lane road. Noticed a couple instances recently where the rearward center of the hood bowed straight upward like someone pushing upwards from underneath.
I'd take it back for sure - they should re-fix it, IMO.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I imagine there could be a number of people who will have the repair fail. If the surfaces aren't prepared well many adhesives won't bond at anything close to their rated strength. The chances that a dealer doing the repair will actually do it properly are probably pretty slim these days unfortunately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had TSB 17-083 "Hood Flutter or Vibration at Highway Speeds due to misadjusted hood cushions and/or failed adhesive between the hood skin and the support structure. (2017-2019)" performed on my 2018 Ridgeline. The dealer adjusted the hood cushions and added adhesive to the hood skin. Prior to this TSB being implemented the hood flutter was very pronounced and scary. Now the hood hardly moves at all. (I am still watching it closely. If I were not watching it closely I would say it does not flutter at all.) If your hood is moving, I encourage you to get this TSB implemented. Constant vibration at highway speeds is bound to cause material failure, with potentially dangerous impact.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,812 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,812 Posts
I imagine there could be a number of people who will have the repair fail. If the surfaces aren't prepared well many adhesives won't bond at anything close to their rated strength. The chances that a dealer doing the repair will actually do it properly are probably pretty slim these days unfortunately.
I dunno what adhesive Honda is using, but if I had the issue on my truck (I do not) I would use Dicor self-leveling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing significant hood movement at highway speeds?

Our BE has the hood air deflector (dealer installed and it's the regular - not low profile).

We've noticed that above 60 mph the hood will tend to lift. We've been on a road trip from Florida to Colorado and back and it's especially scary when a large truck passes in the other direction. It looks like it's shaking up to a 3" vertical displacement sometimes!

We are going to remove the deflector to see if it helps.
Won't help! Don't waste ur time. I'm guessing two factors are causing this. You will note that when you open the hood, the interior looks imaculate ; not even dust. If the encased the bo5om front of engine to allow for the air to only access the radiarir vent and upward, you might get a shaky hood. My G-2 2018 does the same thing.
Also, Honda certainly could have made the hood, thicker, braced better.. But the entire vehicle body is very light, for better fuel mileage. Notice, Honda has always been stingy on the paint job as well.
I've had an 07 G-1 and this 2018 G-2 and I've always complained about the thin metal and thin paint. My Dealer once offered to repaint my 07- G1 only 4 years after I bought it. I refused. Never get a second paint job unless you really need it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing significant hood movement at highway speeds?

Our BE has the hood air deflector (dealer installed and it's the regular - not low profile).

We've noticed that above 60 mph the hood will tend to lift. We've been on a road trip from Florida to Colorado and back and it's especially scary when a large truck passes in the other direction. It looks like it's shaking up to a 3" vertical displacement sometimes!

We are going to remove the deflector to see if it helps.
Bought a 2018 RTL-E in Feb 2020 and it has not ceased to flutter at various speeds at around 55-60 and over. I tighted the two rubber stops under the hood which helped a lot. However, when I first took it in for service and told them about it, the ignorant technician, who obviously did not test his theory, loosened up the rubber stops and said I had them too tight in the remarks. I have yet to take it back for service again, but I will definitely be focusing them in on that. I did call the service tech immediately after leaving and getting on the freeway and told him it was not fixed.

I do not remember if I had already purchased a hood deflector by that time, I believe I did. Regardless, it did not help.

Have you been able to resolve it since?

481 - 500 of 552 Posts