Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were washing and waxing the truck this weekend -- when my husband went to pop the hood, the hood release handle just snapped off in his hand! Broke cleanly off about a half inch below the handle itself! We've used the hood release probably a half a dozen times, and the last to use it was the dealer when they did the first service.

Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ugh. That sucks. Hope you're able to get it fixed without too much trouble.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hopefully they get you all fixed up fast on this. Was it the actual lever or just the plastic portion that broke?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I had the plastic fuel door release tab slide off on me more than once. Simply bent the fragile steel lever at tad with my pliers to seat the tab more securely.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
UglyTruckling said:
We were washing and waxing the truck this weekend -- when my husband went to pop the hood, the hood release handle just snapped off in his hand! Broke cleanly off about a half inch below the handle itself! We've used the hood release probably a half a dozen times, and the last to use it was the dealer when they did the first service.

Anyone else have this happen?
Not yet but the electric seat one slipped off once as did the gas door release lever. I thought about machining billet replacements with stainless set screw mounting. Any takers?:)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
captmiddy said:
Hopefully they get you all fixed up fast on this. Was it the actual lever or just the plastic portion that broke?
It was the plastic stem, I guess you'd call it, that attaches to the back of the release handle. I stopped in at the dealer today, and they said they would order a whole new cable and release handle. In the meantime, if I need to pop open the hood, they suggested using pliers to grab the part of the release cable that's left. One of the guys there told me that they've had this problem with some Civics, too -- in fact, he told me he broke the handle off his sister's Civic. You'd think they'd make it a little stronger....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Plastic simply isn't meant for this type of usage. You really have to pull on the hand to release the latch. If they reinforced it with metal it would be fine but just plastic it is going to be a problem. This is definitely a cost cutting thing that could backfire.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Don't worry there is nothing under the hood that needs to be looked at other than to admire the engine.

This broken part is like a fish with out a bicycle, its a Honda you probably don't need it any how.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I do like to change my oil.

The release handle on the 40% side of the rear seat is broken. Another dealer item to fix, along with the Not An Ashtray. Otherwise, the rest of the checklist is all dealer-inflicted or just happenstance.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
STEVE FROST said:
Don't worry there is nothing under the hood that needs to be looked at other than to admire the engine.

This broken part is like a fish with out a bicycle, its a Honda you probably don't need it any how.
There's something about the fish and bicycle, just don't get it:confused: Please explain to this foreigner:D

·
Registered
626 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
There's something about the fish and bicycle, just don't get it:confused: Please explain to this foreigner:D
A fish without a bicycle is, well, a fish without something he doesn't need. The implication from Steve is that you don't need to pop the hood (other than to admire the engine) because nothing will go wrong under there.

I just like the mental picture of a fish on a bicycle... messes with my head... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hood Release Handle

My interrior hood release snapped off when used under cold temps. I was on a trip and needed to check the windshield fluid after 13 hours on the road. The interrior was cold the following morning when I pulled the release handle. It snapped completely off. After examining the design, I feel Honda will continue to have this problem until it is redesigned as a T-handle to pull. The current design puts too much pressure on the top plastic weld. It should have been welded/bonded in the center to absorb more of the pulling pressure.

Honda replace the whole cable assembly under dealer defect.
Anyone else have this problem?

L

·
0 Posts
Re: Hood Release Handle

Yes....this happened to someone else. Let me see if I can find the thread and I'll merge the 2 for you. BRB...:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have opened the hood many times now. Now that it is cold, my hood release broke the other day. It is due to a poor design flaw. It should be a T-handle design to better absorb the pressure of pulling the cable. The current design is a plastic round welded at the top of the release making the chances high to snap it off. It should have been centered for an even "pull". This will be a problem for everyone until Honda redesigns it. Honda had to install a complete new cable assembly. Now I will have to be conscience of opening the hood.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NHarp1 said:
Now I will have to be conscience of opening the hood.:rolleyes:
I opened and closed it twice after the dealer finished, just to be sure it worked correctly, but not since then. I don't mess in the engine compartment much anyway, but my husband does, and he's a little gun shy now....

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
UglyTruckling said:
I opened and closed it twice after the dealer finished, just to be sure it worked correctly, but not since then. I don't mess in the engine compartment much anyway, but my husband does, and he's a little gun shy now....
If it's going to break, I wish it would do it now while it's under warranty instead of waiting another year and a half. :rolleyes: Hopefully it's a manufacturing flaw instead of a design flaw and not everyone will have the problem.

L

·
0 Posts
swampler said:
If it's going to break, I wish it would do it now while it's under warranty instead of waiting another year and a half. :rolleyes: Hopefully it's a manufacturing flaw instead of a design flaw and not everyone will have the problem.
DITTO That Swampi...

·
Registered
393 Posts
I totally agree. Everyone should be out tugging on the hood release to be sure if it breaks they can get it replaced w/o any problem while under warranty. I would think it is a manufacturing error since honda would have beefed up the design so its not a common occurrence. Especially if it is used on a lot of other models.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts