Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Ridgeline, 41,000 miles . . .My alarm system started going off unexpected today . . .first time I was shopping and thought someone may have messed with the car. After I got home, it went off again while parked in the garage. The dash lights flash on and off and makes a clicking noise.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
312 Posts
2017 Ridgeline, 41,000 miles . . .My alarm system started going off unexpected today . . .first time I was shopping and thought someone may have messed with the car. After I got home, it went off again while parked in the garage. The dash lights flash on and off and makes a clicking noise.

Any thoughts?

Take it somewhere and have them do a load test on the battery (pull the stuff covering it off at the house).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Take it somewhere and have them do a load test on the battery (pull the stuff covering it off at the house).
Yes and my first thought would be battery connections. Make sure they are clean and secure. If Honda or anyone else worked on it previously, they may have disconnected the battery cables and maybe didn't get them back on tight enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017-ridgeline 30k miles. I started having the same problem for two weeks now
it happened 6 times now. Took it to the dealer twice, no trouble found...
I hope someone can HELP....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 has 39K miles and the dashboard lights keep going on and off when the truck is off. The alarm goes off for no reason as well. I thought it might be the battery in the key fab but after changing it, the problem still occurs. Glad I'm not the only one with this issue but this has been driving me crazy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having the same problem in my 2017 Ridgeline. The dealer determined it was due to a faulty push button start.

From work order:
Customer states alarm goes off randomly.
Found that "IG" to be trigger for security system.
Push Button Start was tripping alarm system intermittently.
Had to replace push button start for engine.

The following were replaced by the dealer:

Battery 31500-TZ3-100M
Switch Assembly 35881-TG7-702
Control Unit 38320-T6Z-A21

·
Registered
4 Posts
First time they said it was the master switch for the windows. This time they said there are bad codes coming from the fuse box. Waiting on the part. We'll see.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Re: Horn alarm REPAIRED

2017 Ridgeline, 41,000 miles . . .My alarm system started going off unexpected today . . .first time I was shopping and thought someone may have messed with the car. After I got home, it went off again while parked in the garage. The dash lights flash on and off and makes a clicking noise. Any thoughts?
Had the same problem. Problem was intermittent and I was out of town so friend had towed to dealer. Dealer kept for several days and did not notice the problem (intermittent) until I was about to pick up the truck five days later. They called to tell me the alarm had gone off, then advised that the fix was a new control unit which handles the keyless access system (and perhaps other things). See attached receipt for part number and cost, which was over $800 with tax. Because of mileage, truck is out of warranty.

NOTE: See note by mechanic that each key must be reprogrammed with the new unit. The service rep didn't bother to advise me of this, so they programmed only the key I brought in and I will now have to return for them to program my other two keys (I have a spare). If you need this fix, be sure to bring in both (or all) of your keys.

This is the second major repair of electronics on the truck. They also had to replace the audio unit (#52691) because the navigation system would not update. That repair however was covered by Honda, even though the truck is out of warranty. Not sure why one of these fixes was covered and the other not.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue on ~41k 2017 model as well. Mine goes off 4-5x/day, I took it to dealership and on the 2nd take-in, they pinpointed the problem to the keyless entry as well (they thought but had to get further confirmation during a weekday from Honda?). Anyhow, I took my truck home, don't want to take it back to the shop for a $600-$800 "fix" & just haven't locked my truck since...
Does anyone know the best path to just disable the alarm altogether? I'd rather take my chances than spend hundreds of dollars...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue on ~41k 2017 model as well. Mine goes off 4-5x/day, I took it to dealership and on the 2nd take-in, they pinpointed the problem to the keyless entry as well (they thought but had to get further confirmation during a weekday from Honda?). Anyhow, I took my truck home, don't want to take it back to the shop for a $600-$800 "fix" & just haven't locked my truck since...
Does anyone know the best path to just disable the alarm altogether? I'd rather take my chances than spend hundreds of dollars...
I'm having same issue too, it's 4:00 am alarm keeps going off even when I've unlocked it. After two trips to an Alarm shop, thought it was a motion sensor it's still acting up. Truck is possessed, interior lights going on, dash indicator flashing, I can hear clicking as something is trying to engage?? Had to unhook the battery to get it to stop. I'll try dealership and keep you posted.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm having same issue too, it's 4:00 am alarm keeps going off even when I've unlocked it. After two trips to an Alarm shop, thought it was a motion sensor it's still acting up. Truck is possessed, interior lights going on, dash indicator flashing, I can hear clicking as something is trying to engage?? Had to unhook the battery to get it to stop. I'll try dealership and keep you posted.
See my post a couple above yours which includes a copy of the repair receipt. The clicking sound was also present in my case. Since the repair, I have not had the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
See my post a couple above yours which includes a copy of the repair receipt. The clicking sound was also present in my case. Since the repair, I have not had the problem.
Thank you for this forum! I thought my 2017 Ridgeline (38K miles) was possessed by the Decepticons, dash lights flashing, clicking noises and then the car alarm going off indiscriminately. I too had to disconnect the battery to stop the truck from alarming. Thanks LifeSaver1 for the copy of your repair invoice, ouch! I have an appointment this coming Monday at the dealer and I will bring a copy of it. It's amazing to me that Honda has not announced a recall for this problem after a year of his happening to us Ridgeline fans and that the dealer network doesn't seem to share solutions to this problem across the country.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello .. my 2017 Ridgeline just started having this issue but it is coincidentally right after I had my back passenger window replaced and inside door trim panel (my truck was broken into by them smashing the window). Point is, I called the service company who did the repair asking if while they were inside my door, could they have not connected something back write and he said 'absolutely not' .. no way we could have messed something up. So, question #1 - could they have messed with something and did not connect 'things' back correctly? and #2 - when the alarm goes off, i can stop it by hitting the unlock button on my FOB (do not have to unhook batter) ... could this be caused by something else than what has been posted here already ?

Appreciate any help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too could turn the alam off with my key FOB, but as soon as I left the area (from garage to house with key), it would go off again. Maybe in 20 minutes or a couple hours. Anyway, I took it to the dealer and they said this was the first one they had seen. I brought my truck ot the dealet on Dec. 27th and did not get it back until January 2nd. They first replaced the battery (thank you very much), but it did not fix the problem. They finally decided to take my advice (thanks to Lifesaver) and replace the Control Unit and the start/stop push button. Of course the parts were noyt in stock at the dealer and they were back-ordered in their parts supply chain. Unlike others, my dealer covered everything under warranty (truck has 38.3K miles) and even gave me a loander car while in the shop. I have not had any problems since.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having the exact same issue with mine @42k miles. It has been in the shop 5 times now for issue. Have had the battery replaced, new ignition, new Window control master switch, and new MICU. Problem still persists. Have written to Honda corporate and been assigned a district case manager; am waiting for them to contact me at this point. Truck is still at dealer; been there for 5 of the last 6 weeks. Hoping Honda will just buy this piece of crap off of me at this point. First and last Honda I will ever buy this for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too could turn the alam off with my key FOB, but as soon as I left the area (from garage to house with key), it would go off again. Maybe in 20 minutes or a couple hours. Anyway, I took it to the dealer and they said this was the first one they had seen. I brought my truck ot the dealet on Dec. 27th and did not get it back until January 2nd. They first replaced the battery (thank you very much), but it did not fix the problem. They finally decided to take my advice (thanks to Lifesaver) and replace the Control Unit and the start/stop push button. Of course the parts were noyt in stock at the dealer and they were back-ordered in their parts supply chain. Unlike others, my dealer covered everything under warranty (truck has 38.3K miles) and even gave me a loander car while in the shop. I have not had any problems since.

Any thoughts?
This happend to me at 51,000 miles. Took two visits to find the keyless entry and start button was the problem. Mine was out of warranty and cost me $800 to repair. Has not happend since.

·
Registered
852 Posts
This happend to me at 51,000 miles. Took two visits to find the keyless entry and start button was the problem. Mine was out of warranty and cost me $800 to repair. Has not happend since.
For those that have had this happen, and have had it repaired, has the repair not been permanent where the problem has reappeared?

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am having the exact same problem with my 2017 Black Edition 32K. Dealer replaced the alarm twice still having the same problem as of today. :-(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sometimes when I lock my 2017 Ridgeline with the fob, then leave it in a parking area, the horn will begin honking for no reason. I has not been touched. I have taken it to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong. Anyone experience this?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts