Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am soon to be the proud "parent" of a black Ridgeline LX. I have been having a debate on whether it will be capable of towing a small horse trailer. There are concerns that it is live weight (1000 lb animal moving around!) and that Honda dealers are saying no way to this. I have been told it will burn out the tranny and brakes and result in "the early demise" of the truck.However on the top of this forum there is a picture of a Ridgeline pulling a fairly large sized horse trailer.

Anybody have experience/insight into this?

L

·
0 Posts
Hez said:
I am soon to be the proud "parent" of a black Ridgeline LX. I have been having a debate on whether it will be capable of towing a small horse trailer. There are concerns that it is live weight (1000 lb animal moving around!) and that Honda dealers are saying no way to this. I have been told it will burn out the tranny and brakes and result in "the early demise" of the truck.However on the top of this forum there is a picture of a Ridgeline pulling a fairly large sized horse trailer.

Anybody have experience/insight into this?
No offense to anyone who may be employed by a dealer on here but I wouldn't, if I were you, take the word of dealers. Many of the dealers if not most of them do not know much about the Ridgeline except what they learned at the Ride and Drive if they went. They don't sell many so they don't have experience. Talk to people who own horses, trailers, etc. They will be able to give you the inside scoop. JMHO :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just a guess, but if your gross trailer weight is reasonably under the 5000 lb rating and you use a trailer break controller with a brake equiped axles, you should be ok. I can't imagine a horse being able to move around enough to change the inertial mass of the trailer that much--or maybe you haven't secured the animal well enough. Some movement might change the tongue weight a bit... The trailer pictured in the advertisment is a tandem axle design, which helps out a ton. I used to tow my racecar on a tandem trailer behind an AMC Eagle (geez...no comments 'bout that plz) and did ok as long as I didn't have steep grades to pull. That rig (trailer w/car and spares) was about 4000 lbs gross.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Check out your total weight and how much weight will be on the tongue. If it meets the specks then you should be OK. In most states the trailer will have electric bracds if required or it might have inertia bracks or none at all. Your Ridgeline has great breaks and if you don't abuse them they will do the job.

Tiger

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe you haven't secured the animal well enough
Sorry had to laugh at that one! :D There's no way to secure a horse down unless its dead! ;)

Actually horses have to be loosely tied so they can shift their weight to balance. They can really cause some rocking and rolling, especially if they are fighting or kicking. That's why they say 75% of max load, but at that there seems to be no reason why a Ridge couldn't handle it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Digging this one back out..... Anyone been towing a horse trailer on a regular basis? I have a co-worker who is considering the RL to tow a Quarter Horse back and forth to shows. Any experiences with this yet, or even possibly a long term report on any issues to report? Thanks !

·
Registered
459 Posts
I dont have my horse anymore.I have a pic of my horse and RL together. But I towed my horse with no problem. He weighed 1100.You need an electric brake for safety reasons but every horse trailer needs one.I have even towed 2 horses at once.The RL does fine.Whoever told you that is clueless and thats why they cant sell a RL.
If you have never towed a horse before,practice towing it on a side street before any trips. Towing livestock is different than towing a boat or camper.Animals move around and it feels different when towing. This is not a RL thing, all trucks can feel this. Rest assured, your RL can tow 2 horses with no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts