Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how they are selling? I am in the midwest and each dealer has several on the lot. I do not think they had any pre orders, and each dealer has only sold one or two. I have four dealers within an hour and non are begging for my business. Each wanted MSRP but was willing to throw in a some extras.

I bought my RTL at MSRP and they threw in runnig boards and gave me a decent price on my trade. I think I could have gotten a little better deal but I don't enjoy haggling.

My initial guess was that they will sell well at first then slow down until they are proven in the market.

Today I am not sure. I think the midsized truck market is saturated right now and this truck may be out of the price range for many midsized truck buyers.

So, How do you think they are selling?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also wondering - our local dealership has three on the lot - two RTL's with Moon and Navi at 37K and one RTS with Running Boards, Roof Rack, and some added Chrome at 33K. All three have been there for the last 8 days - so they haven't flown off the floor. But lots of folks were climbing all over them. I think there are lots of mid-sized truck options right now, many at less than these prices. Locally you can get a leather interior Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with lots of extras for under 33K. It also has the V-8 and good styling.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
The dealership that I am working with told me that they received 6 in their initial allocation. A mix of RT-S and RT-L but none with the Navi. As of Friday when I went to test drive they only had 2 left (including the one I test drove). When I called the next morning to talk accessories with the sales guy, the one I test drove (Silver RTL) was sold that morning.

Mine supposedly has a build date of 3/16 (originally was 3/26).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Last Tuesday (3/8) I talked with a mechanic I know at the local Honda dealer, and he said all the Ridgelines they had were sold already. They had 2 on their lot, but 1 was a demo and the other was for display. I haven't seen any on the road yet and I'm anxiously keeping my eye out for them like I did with the Element.

·
2,346 Posts
I have not seen one 'in the wild' yet either.

·
2,346 Posts
I remember that (people pointing) when I had my Infiniti FX45. I bought it soon after they had come out and for at least 6 months my wife would tell me that people were always checking out the car (I was driving and not paying attention to others' reactions).

It is kind of cool having a unique vehicle when it is first released.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have seen a couple on the road. I have been looking but can't decide between a Ridgeline and a Tacoma. Has anyone did this comparison in detail? Also, I drove up to it on the lot last night and my wife just laughed and said that it wa not much of a truck-but I kind of like it...it grows on you. If they do go to over sticker price I'm out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"can't decide between a Ridgeline and a Tacoma. Has anyone did this comparison in detail? "

I did a very complete comparison.

If your a serious off roaded go with the Tacoma.

If you want to pay about 3k less for the same vehicle go with the Tacoma.

If you want a moon roof go with the Ridgeline

If you want a vehicle with lost of interior room, storage options, versitility and is more of a people hauler go with the Ridgeline.

I made a spredsheet and compared the performance. Then Honda went and did the same thing. Theirs is slanted toward ridgeline but is pretty good.

Go to their web page

·
Registered
30 Posts
"If you want to pay about 3k less for the same vehicle go with the Tacoma."

I've read the same thing from other people and I just don't think you can say they're the "same" vehicle. I mean, the Tacoma can't have a trunk under it's bed and there's no double swinging tailgate. If these were options on the Tacoma (along with other Ridgeline-only standard features), it would probably make up for the 3k "less," IMO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tacoma also requires premium fuel. I priced out Frontier, Tacoma, and Dakota with features close to what the Ridgeline has (and I want): majors would be a vehicle stability system, full time 4wd (VTM-4), and side airbags in addition to the standard front. All trucks come out pretty close once you size them up...granted Honda comes out 1K-2K more but there are some features (again, that I like) that you can't even get like auto climate control or VTM-4.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also looked at the Tacoma, and I thought the RL has several advantages. The ride of the RL is much smoother and more solid. The independent suspension takes away the "bounce" of the rear end and siginificantly smooths out the bumps. The rear seat configuration of the RL is capable of a lot more storage when you need to carry stuff, and has much more legroom when you are carrying people. And then there is the trunk. I couldn't find it on the Tacoma, or any other truck.

But at least the Tacoma comes with fog lights in most of its packages. I want to get the top-of-the-line RTL. I have to cough up more $$ to get the fog lights themselves, and then pay even more to have someone take the bumper off to cut holes to mount the lights in. What's up with that??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All trucks come out pretty close once you size them up...granted Honda comes out 1K-2K more but there are some features (again, that I like) that you can't even get like auto climate control or VTM-4.
You may have priced them out but you did not get a quote from a dealer. I got quotes on Frontiers and Tacomas. I did not persue the Tacoma because I thought it was inferior to the Frontier.

I got a price on a fully loaded Frontier with sunroof but not leather for $28,500. That was about $1600 under MSRP. If you add leather it is still under 30K. You probably won't be able to do that well with a Tacoma which I can not understand since the Frontier beats the Tacoma in every specification. You also can not get a sunroof with a Tacoma.

The RTL with sunroof is 33k. You will not get a better price.

Now that being said, I still bought a Ridgeline because of the versatility.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help. They all have pros and cons. I would probably consider the Tacoma if it had leather and a little better ride. Yeah...why no fog lights?? I hope there is not a premium added to the MSRP by the time I get down to the dealer. How far is the dealer with the discount from NJ??

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
The Tacoma is "somebody's" Truck of the Year, so prices are holding.

I also did a full comparison between the Taco Double Cab Short Bed Off Road 6 speed and the Ridgeline RTL-S/R. The Taco was about $3K less at MSRP. Local dealers are discounting the Taco a little but no movement off MSRP on the Ridgeline.

I currently drive a 4WD Ford Ranger 4L Off-Road 5 speed.

Taco Likes:

The Taco had a slick 6 speed stick. Very nice, and I prefer a stick. The Off Road suspension was firm. The DC rear seat is tight but capable of seating two adults of average height. It has a real part-time 4WD system. The engine is longitudinal with the transmission behind it, like most pickup trucks.

Taco Dislikes:

The view out the windshield is strange. The roofline seems low, and the rear view mirror is in my field of vision. Visibility overall is not that great. The bed has full wheel wells and is 48+" wide only above them. Options are a-la-carte and the selection, standard or extra cost, are nowhere near what the Ridgeline offers. No leather, no moonroof, no nav, and the vehicle control options are extremely rare. Needs premium fuel.

Ridgeline Likes:

It is a much bigger truck than the Taco. Edmunds puts them in different classes, and that is appropriate. It seats four very comfortably (my family size) and the rear seats fold up to leave a lot of secure storage room. It is solid and quiet overall. It drives a lot like my wife's Pilot but a little firmer, and the engine feels like it has more torque. That could be gearing. It does feel a little like it is front wheel drive which is strange for a pickup owner. The vehicle controls will take getting used to. They really take over the vehicle. I drove through 4" of snow and when you nailed the gas the engine flatlined so that you kept moving but in a very controlled fashion. At least you can shut it off. The leather is beautiful, the moonroof is nice, the fit and finish are equal to the Taco. Uses regular fuel.

Ridgeline Dislikes:

No stick. I will miss it. No part time 4WD. Don't know if I'll miss that. Real truck features like skidplates, foglights, etc. are dealer installed options. Honda better fix that for 2007 unless they don't care about traditional 4WD pickup truck buyers. Accessory prices are outrageous. The aftermarket and Internet dealers will drive them down but come on, $350 for foglights? $400 for a hitch?

I've decided on the Ridgeline because it is more vehicle for the money. Notice I did not say more pickup truck for the money. If you want a traditional solid axle PT4WD pickup you should get the Taco, or Dakota, Tundra, F-150, etc for less $$$ than the Ridgeline. If you want a unique pickup with advanced engineering and just about everything the casual pickup truck owner would ever want and more, then go for the Ridgeline.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts