Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2022 RL is in shop due to brake noise. Tech is unsure what is wrong. So, i have a loaner…2022 Honda HRV. MRSP is $25k.

The car is OK. Noisy. Suspension too firm for my taste. Bad seating. Tons of road noise! I would not buy it for sure.

But damn, the HRV’s throttle is perfect. The powertrain moves to my right foot perfectly. No lag. No rubber necking because your body expect something and your car does not respond. No hesitation. Smooth. Mid corner throttle or braking? No problem.

And this is on ECO mode in the HRV!!! Oh, no crappy auto-start/stop to ruin the experience. No need for Sport/Sequential mode either because throttle response is perfect. Surprisingly, the HRV’s CVT is well-behaved. (Note, i have not off-roaded the HRV or tow etc. to comment on CVT in those situations.)

Why is it that Honda got the throttle so right on HRV and yet so wrong on the fancy Ridgeline?? RL’s engine is great i am sure. But the throttle tuning and ZF 9-speed are just a disaster IMHO. ECO mode on RL is useless...might as well put a pillow behind the gas pedal. The fancy ZF shifting is pure crap. Sport/Sequential mode is too aggressive for daily driving. Non-S mode makes the engine into a non-boosted 3-cylinder slow poke. It is sad when I have to use S-mode just to merge onto highway ramp! A simple task as accelerating from stop is painfully slow because ZF starts in 2nd gear! And then you add in the useless auto-start/stop crap that damages engines apparently!

I love the RL. One of the best cars i have ever owned. Extremely practical. But the powertrain tuning and/or transmission leave A LOT to be desired.

Sorry for rant.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,827 Posts
It may not work for you, but it may work for someone else.
My G1 feels sluggish on regular fuel, but is worlds apart on premium grade fuel.
On the same regular fuel, my parents' '09 Fit accelerates like crazy - to a point I hate it. However, my parents dont mind it as they are accustomed to it. The fit has many NVH that my G1 does not.
My G5 Odyssey is even more quiet and accelerates perfect - also has the 10spd. There are a whole bunch of owners who hate the 10spd. I have close to 90K on my '19 Odyssey, changed the ATF twice, and Its been problem free.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,231 Posts
@Madtiger11 , maybe you need a Sprint Booster.

Honda has always seemed to put much more thought into their cars vs their SUVs and trucks. Toyota has been the same way, although they are starting to direct a little more attention to their trucks now.

I think the Japanese have the mentality that we had back prior to the mid-90s, that trucks are for work and cars are for transportation.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline RTL-E in Radiant Red Metallic II
51 Posts
If you think transmission/throttle response on the Ridgeline is bad, go drive a Tacoma. But I do agree, the transmission/throttle response tuning could use some improvement. I still love the truck though and wouldn't trade her for anything else, at least not at the moment. 😉

@smufguy I may have to try a tank of premium just for grins. Of course, I'll have to take out a second mortgage first. 😲

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,302 Posts
@Madtiger11 , maybe you need a Sprint Booster.

Honda has always seemed to put much more thought into their cars vs their SUVs and trucks. Toyota has been the same way, although they are starting to direct a little more attention to their trucks now.

I think the Japanese have the mentality that we had back prior to the mid-90s, that trucks are for work and cars are for transportation.
Or a Pedal Commander which I think is the best one on the market.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apples and oranges.
Yeah sure…maybe. But some trucks /SUVs have sluggish throttle on purpose for off-roading purpose…fancier ones adjust throttle response if you put it into 4-LO/Hi.

But Ridgeline is an on-road vehicle...in the same vein as unibody SUVs or other soccer mom type cars. So, on-road driving experience should be consistent with other Honda vehicles. There is no downside to making Ridgeline more responsive. Some of my issue is with the crappy ZF transmission...no way around that.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS AWD, White Diamond Pearl
126 Posts
I can’t speak for electric cars because I haven’t driven one, but I know on my electric motorcycle, the direct drive motor gives me instant reponse to throttle input. There is no transmission, no drive train slop, just a direct connection. Maybe if the Ridgeline was electric and had no transmission at all, you’d get that instant response you’re looking for.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can’t speak for electric cars because I haven’t driven one, but I know on my electric motorcycle, the direct drive motor gives me instant reponse to throttle input. There is no transmission, no drive train slop, just a direct connection. Maybe if the Ridgeline was electric and had no transmission at all, you’d get that instant response you’re looking for.
Honda HRV is not electric. Gas engine with CVT.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Maybe if the Ridgeline was electric and had no transmission at all, you’d get that instant response you’re looking for.
That applies to all electric vehicles.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
My 2022 RL is in shop due to brake noise. Tech is unsure what is wrong. So, i have a loaner…2022 Honda HRV. MRSP is $25k.

The car is OK. Noisy. Suspension too firm for my taste. Bad seating. Tons of road noise! I would not buy it for sure.

But damn, the throttle is perfect. The powertrain moves to my right foot perfectly. No lag. No rubber necking because your body expect something and your car does not respond. No hesitation. Smooth. Mid corner throttle or braking? No problem.

And this is on ECO mode!!! Oh, no crappy auto-start/stop to ruin the experience. No need for Sport/Sequential mode either because throttle response is perfect. Surprisingly, the HRV’s CVT is well-behaved. (Note, i have not off-roaded the HRV or tow etc. to comment on CVT in those situations.)

Why is it that Honda got the throttle so right on HRV and yet so wrong on the fancy Ridgeline?? RL’s engine is great i am sure. But the throttle tuning and ZF 9-speed are just a disaster IMHO. ECO mode on RL is useless...might as well put a pillow behind the gas pedal. The fancy ZF shifting is pure crap. Sport/Sequential mode is too aggressive for daily driving. Non-S mode makes the engine into a non-boosted 3-cylinder slow poke. It is sad when I have to use S-mode just to merge onto highway ramp! A simple task as accelerating from stop is painfully slow because ZF starts in 2nd gear! And then you add in the useless auto-start/stop crap that damages engines apparently!

I love the RL. One of the best cars i have ever owned. Extremely practical. But the powertrain tuning and/or transmission leave A LOT to be desired.

Sorry for rant.
Well put. Same exact thing with a Passport. A lot is lost with that trans and its tuning. It feels like it's sacrificing so much for the MPG's. Considering it's a 9 speed it should have responsiveness all over the place but it's asleep. It's gets a little old when a silky smooth and refined 280 hp engine usually requires a downshift with the slightest push of the gas pedal and even that takes forever. I've been spoiled by Hybrids with their lighting quick responses to pedal input. You don't need paddle shifters or trickery, just control everything with your right foot. Other similar pairings have similar issues but IMO the Toyota 8 speed is better but not in the league of an E-CVT. It just shows how important a good mating of an engine and transmission is to the overall driving experience.

Ever notice how those HRV's seem to always be passing cars on the highway and you wonder how it can do that with a motorcycle sized engine and slow 0-60 times. There is a big difference between real world driving and 0-60 instrumented tests.

Hopefully the 10 speed will make this a non-issue but it's 2022 this is 2015 tech that will be around for another generation.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,057 Posts
Or a Pedal Commander which I think is the best one on the market.

Hmm. Never heard of PC before. There was another competing product (Sprint booster, iirc) from a vendor who I don't believe is active on the ROC any longer.

I don't quite understand the difference between City, Sport and Sport+ modes on the PC. They all offer the same range, -4 to +4.

·
Registered
193 Posts

But damn, the throttle is perfect. The powertrain moves to my right foot perfectly. No lag. No rubber necking because your body expect something and your car does not respond. No hesitation. Smooth. Mid corner throttle or braking? No problem.

And this is on ECO mode!!! Oh, no crappy auto-start/stop to ruin the experience. No need for Sport/Sequential mode either because throttle response is perfect. Surprisingly, the HRV’s CVT is well-behaved. (Note, i have not off-roaded the HRV or tow etc. to comment on CVT in those situations.)

Sorry for rant.
Yep, good points. The S-mode is too aggressive for daily driving. And the regular D mode makes it an unresponsive slug. I'm almost used to it after about 7000 miles. Changed the air filter, which seems to have helped. This is why I've said the CVT /turbo combo in the Accord and CRV are great. I still think about trading this 2022 Ridgeline in for a CR-V, but there's no inventory, and would be a bit of a nightmare navigating though the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Hmm. Never heard of PC before. There was another competing product from a vendor who I don't believe is active on the ROC any longer.

I don't quite understand the difference between City, Sport and Sport+ modes on the PC. They all offer the same range, -4 to +4.
The differences are how aggressive do you want the throttle response. I had one on my RAM and WOW...what an amazing difference it made!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMO the Toyota 8 speed is better but not in the league of an E-CVT. It just shows how important a good mating of an engine and transmission is to the overall driving experience.

Ever notice how those HRV's seem to always be passing cars on the highway and you wonder how it can do that with a motorcycle sized engine and slow 0-60 times. There is a big difference between real world driving and 0-60 instrumented tests.

Hopefully the 10 speed will make this a non-issue but it's 2022 this is 2015 tech that will be around for another generation.
My LC’s 8-speed is very smooth and pretty good…not the best that i have used but light years better than RL’s ZF.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts