Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
So D is unresponsive and S is too responsive. Did I get that right? Try moving your seat forward or wear bigger shoes. It does make a difference. We have a 21 RL and a 20 HRV. The HRV is fine but boring. Prefer the RL hands down and I'm in no way a hypermiler.

Registered
Wait, the RL has a sport mode??? 馃槀
CVT keep the revs up in the most efficient power band, the S mode does a similar thing by raising the shift points. The 9spd has weird moments that get a little weirder in S mode, but S and disabling VCM improves this imo

Registered
Drive it like you stole it, hasn't that always been the honda way. If you are expect to get into big power under vtec, you bought the wrong vehicle. Since vtec, Honda owners have always known, general driving is a bit tame, push through to,the vtec band, hear the roar and off you go. The RL drives the same as the civic si in this respect. I have grown to like the 9spd, esp S mode + SVCM. Hypermiling is silky smooth driving slow. Trying to push too hard in D and it gets quirky because it's never ready. Just put it in S, the rpms are kept high and it drives like a Honda.

Registered
馃榿 sort of my point. Holds the gears longer, keeps in a better power range, immediate response to more pedal. Just don't touch the paddles, it's a pain to get back to auto and they are way too slow to be useful. I only ever use the paddles in D.

Registered
Not on your list but I'll add my 2c. Had a 17, now a 21. My commute has a long hill after joining highway, the 17 was a pain. I'm a little agressive in driving style so I used to pop it in D4 just to hold with the traffic without numerous kick-downs. The 21 in D handles it no problem, if the right tune is playing, S does it even better 馃槉. Remember you have 4 overdrive gears, so any touch of the throttle at most any cruising speed will drop a cog, give it more and you enter the vtec area and off you go. So S is more ready, already in a lower gear as it were. I have no issues at all with the transmission accelerating, slowing down is another issue altogether - a little quirky when the dogs are in play but you get used to it. I think the 21 has learned my style, feels great now I have 15k on it, felt slow when I first got it.

Registered
Never use econ, not a hypermiler, just feels meh. Mostly drive in D unless fast entry to highway or towing also on the rural roads and tunes are playing. Just me in the truck usually weekday commutes, weekends haul 3000lb boat. Fishing season has just started so not much experience up and down hills towing with the 21 but S feels just about right. There's no more power with the 21, just more gears keeping the rpm down, so yes quieter, less dramatic. With 9 gears, you don't feel the truck dogging much, unlike the 17 which couldn't hold the hill in 6th and had to drop to 4. If I was in a hurry, I just hit the D4 and it was fine. I don't recall when the 21 just felt better, just sort of crept up on me. Think I covered them all. To cap this off, when the better half is in the truck and I have to behave, it is silky smooth in D to the point where I don't even think about what the truck is doing. If you are an A to B driver, you will forget about all these posts very quickly. I rarely use the paddles, never in S, and just for a bit of engine braking on exit ramps etc and downhill towing. Normal driving, it's not a powerful vehicle, but mash it into the vtec band and it gets loud and fast pretty quick. I miss my 6 spd accord, but after that, probably the best vehicle I have owned.

Congrats on the successful hyjack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts