Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,398 Posts
@Madtiger11 , maybe you need a Sprint Booster.

Honda has always seemed to put much more thought into their cars vs their SUVs and trucks. Toyota has been the same way, although they are starting to direct a little more attention to their trucks now.

I think the Japanese have the mentality that we had back prior to the mid-90s, that trucks are for work and cars are for transportation.
Or a Pedal Commander which I think is the best one on the market.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Maybe if the Ridgeline was electric and had no transmission at all, you’d get that instant response you’re looking for.
That applies to all electric vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Hmm. Never heard of PC before. There was another competing product from a vendor who I don't believe is active on the ROC any longer.

I don't quite understand the difference between City, Sport and Sport+ modes on the PC. They all offer the same range, -4 to +4.
The differences are how aggressive do you want the throttle response. I had one on my RAM and WOW...what an amazing difference it made!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
What can it do that my foot can't? If i want response I turn off ECO and press a little more pedal.
A TON! It's not the same as just pressing your foot down more or harder on the accelerator. It is a device that allows for the recalibration of the pedal potentiometer and how the deal now react to touch. You have over 30 settings, based on what you buy, to dial it in exactly as you like. If you tried one, you will see it makes it far more responsive and a lot more fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Sprintbooster fixed the lazy throttle response in my truck. Best of all it's very customizable and can be adjusted for more or less throttle response at the push of a button.
You will never go wrong with a Sprint Booster or Pedal Commander. I just like the design and operation of the PC better but, in the end, they do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
My gripes have been lazy throttle response and downshifts that take forever which make for a slow driving experience.
So the booster/commander livens up the throttle but what about downshifts? Or is a more responsive throttle enough to make you forget about the long time to downshift? I wouldn't be looking for more speed or power just to make it more immediate to inputs from my foot.
There should be zero effects on downshifts as that is TCM programming. Just to be clear, you don't get anymore "speed" or "power"...you just get a shorter throttle response time when pressing the accelerator. It makes the truck "feel" faster and more powerful even though it is not. When I had mine in my RAM, it was sluggish and not fun to drive. Getting a PC and putting it in SPORT +4 really woke it up...put a smile on my face and had no adverse issues. If you dial it up too high, just a little throttle can cause it to lurch forward and you may be at risk of rear ending someone which is why the upper modes are more designed for track use and not on-road use. It took me a few days of playing around with the various settings until I found my sweet spot and then never touched it again. The beauty of the PC is that it has Bluetooth. Therefore, you can hide the controller well out of site and, if you do want to make a change, it can be easily done via your phone app.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
FWIW, I've use 93 octane extensively in my 2008 Ridgeline and really can't tell any performance difference between 93 and 87 octane. Any fuel economy differences are easily explained by trip differences, weather, traffic, etc. I finally switched back to 87 octane the other day because of the ridiculous price of gas, especially 93 octane.

I was mainly using 93 octane because I thought it might be beneficial to the TC and also the better cleaners in premium since my Ridgeline sits in my garage a lot vs being driven a lot. But I couldn't feel anything in the seat of my pants and the mpg changes were minimal, at best. 🤷‍♂️
That is exactly what the fuel manufacturers want you to believe in all their marketing hype to buy the more expensive fuel. Actually 87 and 93 have very similar detergents if you buy from a top-tier supplier like Shell, Exxon, Mobil, BP, etc. Putting anything greater into an engine specifically designed for 87 will do nothing but cost you more money for zero benefit.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I used to think that too until Gary Flint educated me (at least in regards to the J35).

You will never get a return on your investment IMPO and experiences. My advice for anyone that has money to burn is buy 93 if it makes you feel good. Just don't expect any real results for the money spent.

Reactions: Mark27

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Oh it's not meant to be cost effective. Gary says that in the body of the message.

But it's probably the cheapest way to get an extra 10HP at the top end, should that be a driving factor (no pun intended). :D
Not all engines react the same way as it relates to octane, so it may not even give you that. In addition, I don't know of many folks that rev their truck near redline to get any gains anyway ;)

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
True, but apparently the J35 actually does respond to premium fuel, even though designed for 87 octane. Still, I can't say I've ever sensed or measured any difference from acceleration or FE. 🤷‍♂️

OTOH, I did an extensive test using nonE gas and determined I got about 1.5 mpg improvement in FE. But that was years ago. ;)
Ethanol can be very bad for an engine based on its percentage and dramatically reduces its mpg regardless. I understand we need to help farmers, but there has to be a better way to use corn than putting it in fuel...just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I've never tried the Sprint Booster or Pedal Commander, but from what I've read, it just makes the throttle more touchy. Can it stop the 2022 Ridgeline from always searching for the longest gear, trying to maximize fuel economy? Does it really change anything, other than making it jumpy when you touch the pedal? Does it re-map the entire thing with RPM's and stuff? Does it make it like driving half way between D and S? I'd get it installed and be unhappy, I'm guessing.

One thing I AM happy with is the disable stop/start device I got. Worth it.
If you really want to see what it will do, try one for free for 30-days and if you don't like it...return it. It only remaps the throttle and that's it. It's a simple 5 minute or less install. Totally plug and play. The model PC72 is for most all Honda's and specifically for the Ridgeline so don't be concerned at the Amazon description.

Reactions: JBobber

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Curious, does econ work with S? Never tried it but maybe.......
ECO and S are polar opposites. No.

You either want to save gas and slow down throttle response OR put it in SPORT and rev the hell out of the engine and use far more gas than D!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Thanks. Not sure I can make the jump to try it, especially for that price- 250 bucks to make the pedal more touchy? is that the price? $265? I really miss sticks, because I could control it myself. Interesting how in this day and age of computers, when we buy a new car, we only get 2 choices with an auto trans - D and S. I can see how Ridgeline buyers get mad.
Put it on your credit card...try it for a week and then return it for FREE and get the credit before you every have to pay for it. Don't knock it until you try it. I know of very few people out of several hundreds that have bought one and returned it. Most everyone feels that it makes a huge difference in the fun factor of driving most any vehicle you put it in. ZERO throttle lag.

Reactions: JBobber

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
10% ethanol is not bad for vehicle engines. You get about 3-4% less mpg with ethanol, but that is made up for by the reduced price. Small engines could be harmed by the extra water in ethanol, but not larger engines.

Ethanol is not designed as a giveaway to farmers, though of course it does stimulate the farm economy. It was designed as a way to utilize less petrol (especially from Middle East) and save money. Giving up ethanol right this moment would only make gas prices go up much higher.
Reread my first sentence. It can be very bad based on the % of Ethanol and the design of the engine. I do agree that giving up on Ethanol now would be suicide.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
You can get a PC right now for $265 on Amazon which is directly from the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I remember driving cars with three speed automatic and can't remember anyone complaining, " I wish if I had more gears!" I am baffled as to the need for 9 and even ten gears. What's next - 15 or 20 gears? I am not even sure why are we calling one of the gears and overdrive. There is a button on the gear shifter of my 2017 BE that I used to press to help brake the vehicle (if I anticipate stopping almost in an emergency situation down a hill or approaching a surprise stop sign or red light) until I learned from the ROC forum that this is bad for the transmission. Then, if I needed to downshift even further, I had to pull the shifter from D in the opposite direction of Neutral, which made the transmission sound as if this lower gear was now far too low. I never could figure or hear 4, 5, or six different gears automatically changing, and there is no indication of a number showing any gear selection; L seems ambiguous: but it would be nice to have that "in between gear" when I am down shifting. It would also be nice to have a higher gear than D, if I were driving on level ground over 80 mph or downhill but I understand that engines can be destroyed easier when a vehicle is placed in a gear that doesn't have adequate power rather than when placed in a gear that has too much power. So here is my dilemma: I love my 2017 BE but would like another gear or maybe two more, but I would not want to trade it in for a newer Ridgeline that has an unnecessary amount of gears that demands the vehicle to keep hunting and pecking ineffectively for a suitable gear, because there are mechanically and technologically just too many to chose from. If there is an obvious consensus that the newer Ridgeline has missed some kind of a sweet spot in the way the throttle lags during acceleration or will not downshift in a timely manner, then it may just require a small manufacturer's adjustment during a recall rather than to continue to obfuscate this discrepancy.
Additional gears yields better fuel economy. I don't think we'll see any trannys go past 10 now with the push for EV's and less of a focus on ICE. For the record, my RL does not hunt and peck for gears. It finds what it needs and stays there. I have seen no consensus regarding missing a sweet spot or not downshifting in a timely manner? I do not have these issues and they shouldn't be painted with broad brush. The 2021-2022 is a superior vehicle to the 2017. However, if you enjoy your 17, and are freaked out by what you think you know, then keep it ;)

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Sounds similar to the Sprint Booster, except the SB has 18 levels of adjustment and level adjustments can be changed on the fly.
The PC has 32 levels of adjustment

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
There were rumors that Acura was working on an 11-spd TCT (triple-clutch transmission) a few years back.
Could be, but a lot has changed in two years with all manufacturers focusing more on EV's than ICE. If I had a crystal ball, I would not be driving a Ridgeline :)

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Referencing post #122 concerning gears.

The 9-sp seems to function more like a 7-sp with an overdrive. 1st gear does engage unless we select it or start off with the pedal to the metal. 9th gear engages only at higher speeds under relaxed conditions.
I grew up with manuals with the 1st automatic being a Powerglide (2-sp, GM).
Post 122? Your post was 119 ;)

Reactions: SEW
1 - 20 of 36 Posts