Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,812 Posts
Or a Pedal Commander which I think is the best one on the market.

What can it do that my foot can't? If i want response I turn off ECO and press a little more pedal.

Reactions: Mark27

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
FWIW, I've use 93 octane extensively in my 2008 Ridgeline and really can't tell any performance difference between 93 and 87 octane. Any fuel economy differences are easily explained by trip differences, weather, traffic, etc. I finally switched back to 87 octane the other day because of the ridiculous price of gas, especially 93 octane.

I was mainly using 93 octane because I thought it might be beneficial to the TC and also the better cleaners in premium since my Ridgeline sits in my garage a lot vs being driven a lot. But I couldn't feel anything in the seat of my pants and the mpg changes were minimal, at best. 🤷‍♂️
That's because higher octane doesn't necessarily mean increased power. Octane slows combustion (meaning the temperature has to be higher before it combusts). This prevents detonation/pre-ignition of fuel that is often caused by a "hot spot" in the cylinder (carbon buildup is often the culprit). Higher octane fuels are typically used in racing (I used to run 100 back in the day) not to increase HP, but to prevent knock from detonation as the engine ran hotter and hotter. Obviously, pre-ignition can not only cause internal damage, but it also lowers power significantly.

87 octane will actually give the most consistent power across the spectrum of engine heat, from cold to hot to really hot. It has been shown using dyno tests that the higher octane fuels actually LOWERS power (2-3 Hp).

Unless a manufacturer requires a higher octane fuel, there is no reason to pay the extra $$, from all I have learned over the years. The good news is that higher octane fuel won't hurt your engine, only your wallet.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
ECO and S are polar opposites. No.

You either want to save gas and slow down throttle response OR put it in SPORT and rev the hell out of the engine and use far more gas than D!
Point of order, Sir... it's not sport mode. It's sequential mode, automatic shifting (gears 1-8 vs 2-9 with D). With an option for SM, or manual shifting using the paddle shifters, with all 9 gears.

(just doing my part, stepping in for @zroger73 who is oddly absent from this thread. Probably enjoying some down time somewhere cool.)

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Point taken and understood. I guess what I was trying to say is that your revs will increase; therefore, having a negative impact on fuel economy, so using ECO in S make no sense at all IMPO.
100% agreed with all you said, minus the "S" part. But only because @zroger73 didn't chime in.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
If you read the link to the post by the lead project engineer on the G1 Ridgeline, he explains the benefits of using premium fuel in the J35... but also mentions it's not cost effective without his super duper copper bracelet... or whatever. ;)
Yeah, I have read MANY conflicting stories over the years about octane. Ran 100 octane for about a year in a motorcycle back in my younger days, and it sure FELT like it ran hotter/faster. Seat-o-the-pants dyno and all of that.

And to add another variable to the rumors/myths surrounding octane... I used to ride along with a friend who drove a gas truck delivering fuel from the pipeline to the gas stations. ALL the fuel at the refinery was "regular". He changed the octane in the various compartments of his tanker by carrying a 2-gallon plastic bucket over to the octane dispenser (a very heavy molasses-like substance that had a VERY high viscosity), and "measuring" it into the 2-gallon bucket. I asked him how he knew how much to put for regular/mid-grade/premium, and his answer was, "ehhh, that's about enough!". NOT very precise nor scientific. I suspect this practice (may have changed nowadays) may have accounted for more knock in engines back in the day than anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Never use econ, not a hypermiler, just feels meh. Mostly drive in D unless fast entry to highway or towing also on the rural roads and tunes are playing. Just me in the truck usually weekday commutes, weekends haul 3000lb boat. Fishing season has just started so not much experience up and down hills towing with the 21 but S feels just about right. There's no more power with the 21, just more gears keeping the rpm down, so yes quieter, less dramatic. With 9 gears, you don't feel the truck dogging much, unlike the 17 which couldn't hold the hill in 6th and had to drop to 4. If I was in a hurry, I just hit the D4 and it was fine. I don't recall when the 21 just felt better, just sort of crept up on me. Think I covered them all. To cap this off, when the better half is in the truck and I have to behave, it is silky smooth in D to the point where I don't even think about what the truck is doing. If you are an A to B driver, you will forget about all these posts very quickly. I rarely use the paddles, never in S, and just for a bit of engine braking on exit ramps etc and downhill towing. Normal driving, it's not a powerful vehicle, but mash it into the vtec band and it gets loud and fast pretty quick. I miss my 6 spd accord, but after that, probably the best vehicle I have owned.

Congrats on the successful hyjack.
the ZF-9 is similar in that if you are in 9th, and need to accelerate, or hit the paddle for a lower gear, it drops to 7th.

TheZF-9 doesn't hunt near as much as the 6 did. Much more logical tranny, IMO. Down shifting from 6 to 4 just to increase 2-3 mph on cruise control was silly.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Because you waited so frickin' long that the sale is over:( The PC22 is for all Gen1 RLs and the PC72 for all Gen2's. See the link in post 171.

My wife doesn't know about half of what I buy...far better that way and we're going on 35 years😂
I trained my wife years ago to adopt the phrase, "Yes, sir!" and she is still here today. Lucky lady, eh?

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Because you waited so frickin' long that the sale is over:( The PC22 is for all Gen1 RLs and the PC72 for all Gen2's. See the link in post 171.

My wife doesn't know about half of what I buy...far better that way and we're going on 35 years😂
PC22 or PC72?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts