Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 203 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,520 Posts
With no experience with the gen 1 tranny, did folks complain about it also?
Bill
The wife's 2008 Accord has the same five-speed as the G1, and it's a rocket (despite having the problematic 3,4,6 VCM 2). Of course, it is also a half-ton lighter, which makes a huge difference.

It is noticeably quicker than my '19 Ridgeline, despite having less power and one less gear. The weight plays as much of a factor as anything when we're dealing with torque that comes on higher in the rpm band.

That being said, I do believe that Honda has engineered a slight delay in the throttle response on the G2 Ridgeline (further exacerbated by the 2nd gear start in the nine-speed). I don't know if that would be for MPG, emissions or just general safety.

At any rate, a Sprint Booster or Pedal Commander should fix the issue for those who are bothered by it.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL-E
315 Posts
Ummm No. V6s and 4 cylinders are different, have different properties and pedal feel and acceleration (and MPG, and weight feel etc). You use that as a comparison to your Ridgeline and I think that’s comparing apples to oranges. That’s all…
Making a direct comparison to a four-cylinder little peppy thing is, again, apples to oranges. I’m not arguing with you. But Nevermind. Forget I said anything.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
Ummm No. V6s and 4 cylinders are different, have different properties and pedal feel and acceleration (and MPG, and weight feel etc). You use that as a comparison to your Ridgeline and I think that’s comparing apples to oranges. That’s all…
Making a direct comparison to a four-cylinder little peppy thing is, again, apples to oranges. I’m not arguing with you. But Nevermind. Forget I said anything.
If OP was stating that the V6 is far more responsive than the 1.8L, then you might have a point with your apples/oranges comment. But he's not, he's commenting that the 1.8L is for more responsive than the V6, so making a fair point about the Ridgeline powertrain characteristics.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If OP was stating that the V6 is far more responsive than the 1.8L, then you might have a point with your apples/oranges comment. But he's not, he's commenting that the 1.8L is for more responsive than the V6, so making a fair point about the Ridgeline powertrain characteristics.
Exactly.

I am not talking about 0-60 nor top speed. It is the throttle and/or shifting behavior of the RL’s powertrain that sucks.

Honda’s top V6 engine with ZF tranny should NOT suck this badly in performing simple daily tasks. ECO, normal, and Sequential all have issues that should not be there on a modern vehicle with modern technology! And don’t get me started again on auto-stop/start!

How is it that a small cheaper 4-cyl econobox with CVT be sooooo much better at daily driving?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you think transmission/throttle response on the Ridgeline is bad, go drive a Tacoma. But I do agree, the transmission/throttle response tuning could use some improvement. I still love the truck though and wouldn't trade her for anything else, at least not at the moment. 😉
As for Tacoma…sure…it may suck…but it is because Toyota is using an old transmission from 7-10 year ago i think!

I am OK with that if you give me some durability/reliability in exchange. Can you say the same about the ZF transmission? I don’t know. Some folks here swear by ZF…and then you read other Honda forums who crap on its durability/reliability.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
@smufguy I may have to try a tank of premium just for grins. Of course, I'll have to take out a second mortgage first. 😲
[/QUOTE]
Yes, cost me $102 to fill our Lexus GX SUV, which uses premium gas. But on the other topic, the GX engine and transmission together - like warm butter.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@smufguy I may have to try a tank of premium just for grins. Of course, I'll have to take out a second mortgage first. 😲
Yes, cost me $102 to fill our Lexus GX SUV, which uses premium gas. But on the other topic, the GX engine and transmission together - like warm butter.
[/QUOTE]

And the GX powertrain is old! But yeah, i had GX once……smooth as butter! Everything about the GX is smooth as butter! LOL

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,869 Posts
Not sure if you will see much of a difference in the G2, but the G1 is very obvious. Unfortunately, to tow heavier (I believe over 3500lbs), the G1 owners manual recommended using premium.
Talking about trying out, I filled up my tank in my G1 on Wednesday at Costo and it cost me $95.00 ($4.77/gal) to fill up regular. This has to be the highest in the 22 years of my driving.

With no experience with the gen 1 tranny, did folks complain about it also?
Bill
No complaints on the G1, '09+ transmissions.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
And the GX powertrain is old! But yeah, i had GX once……smooth as butter! Everything about the GX is smooth as butter! LOL
[/QUOTE]
We were looking to replace a very nice Grand Cherokee Overland (with the Hemi) that was starting to cost big in repairs (failed air suspension system the clincher), and the Toyota quality factor drew me in. My wife liked the Jeep's sportier feel a little better, but the GX seems to be built like the proverbial brick s***house, and the full-time 4wd is nice too, so might have it a while.

BTW my Ridgeline is a 2019, so it has the 6 speed transmission, which has had well-documented failures, but for me it has worked well and the truck feels pretty quick. Hope your RL experience improves over time.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am wondering if I might be misreading something. Maybe need some new meds.

The OP was comparing an HRV favorably to a Ridgeline? A car that takes almost 9 seconds to get to 60, vs a truck that takes close to 6? And the HRV is somehow better at passing cars on the highway?

IDK. To each his own I guess. I am thinking some people have never driven a truck. Maybe they expect instant torque AND 30 mpg. The Ridgeline is as fast as most trims of the Accord. It is CERTAINLY less sluggish than a Tacoma, which I traded in for the Ridgeline.

If you think it’s a slug, with all respect, I wonder if you just bought the wrong truck. Maybe you can find a Syclone on the used market, or would settle for one of those larger trucks with the big engines that are faster on paper but more expensive and have worse gas mileage.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I am wondering if I might be misreading something. Maybe need some new meds.

The OP was comparing an HRV favorably to a Ridgeline? A car that takes almost 9 seconds to get to 60, vs a truck that takes close to 6? And the HRV is somehow better at passing cars on the highway?

IDK. To each his own I guess. I am thinking some people have never driven a truck. Maybe they expect instant torque AND 30 mpg. The Ridgeline is as fast as most trims of the Accord. It is CERTAINLY less sluggish than a Tacoma, which I traded in for the Ridgeline.

If you think it’s a slug, with all respect, I wonder if you just bought the wrong truck. Maybe you can find a Syclone on the used market, or would settle for one of those larger trucks that are faster but more expensive and have worse gas mileage.
Read my signature. I have driven big and small.

When did i write about passing cars? Jeff…put on your reading glasses damnit!

When did I mention fuel economy? And when did i talk about 0-60?

Please re-read my post(s). Your response to me is as nonsense as what you perceived what i meant. :D

Reactions: 181804

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2022 RL is in shop due to brake noise. Tech is unsure what is wrong. So, i have a loaner…2022 Honda HRV. MRSP is $25k.

The car is OK. Noisy. Suspension too firm for my taste. Bad seating. Tons of road noise! I would not buy it for sure.

But damn, the throttle is perfect. The powertrain moves to my right foot perfectly. No lag. No rubber necking because your body expect something and your car does not respond. No hesitation. Smooth. Mid corner throttle or braking? No problem.

And this is on ECO mode!!! Oh, no crappy auto-start/stop to ruin the experience. No need for Sport/Sequential mode either because throttle response is perfect. Surprisingly, the HRV’s CVT is well-behaved. (Note, i have not off-roaded the HRV or tow etc. to comment on CVT in those situations.)

Why is it that Honda got the throttle so right on HRV and yet so wrong on the fancy Ridgeline?? RL’s engine is great i am sure. But the throttle tuning and ZF 9-speed are just a disaster IMHO. ECO mode on RL is useless...might as well put a pillow behind the gas pedal. The fancy ZF shifting is pure crap. Sport/Sequential mode is too aggressive for daily driving. Non-S mode makes the engine into a non-boosted 3-cylinder slow poke. It is sad when I have to use S-mode just to merge onto highway ramp! A simple task as accelerating from stop is painfully slow because ZF starts in 2nd gear! And then you add in the useless auto-start/stop crap that damages engines apparently!

I love the RL. One of the best cars i have ever owned. Extremely practical. But the powertrain tuning and/or transmission leave A LOT to be desired.

Sorry for rant.
Wow, granted I’m new to my 22 Ridgeline if you think it’s bad try a third Gen Tacoma. Complete trash with gear hunting and rev’ing like crazy. It was probably the worst tranny/engine combo I’ve ever been in. Only have 400 miles on the Ridgeline so far but smooth as butter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So D is unresponsive and S is too responsive. Did I get that right? Try moving your seat forward or wear bigger shoes. It does make a difference. We have a 21 RL and a 20 HRV. The HRV is fine but boring. Prefer the RL hands down and I'm in no way a hypermiler.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So D is unresponsive and S is too responsive. Did I get that right? Try moving your seat forward or wear bigger shoes. It does make a difference. We have a 21 RL and a 20 HRV. The HRV is fine but boring. Prefer the RL hands down and I'm in no way a hypermiler.
Me too. I much prefer the RL. BUT that is not what I am talking about.

Who said HRV was exciting? Not me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Of the 20+ Hondas I have owned, one of the most surprising was the Honda fit Sport. Even with 105 Hp, it was geared in a way that made it pretty damn fast off the line (but absolutely terrible accelerating starting from say 60) and it handled like a go-cart.

But. Ive said this before, I had the 8 speed dual clutch tranny in an Acura TLX, More gears absolutely suck. When I stomped the gas in that TLX, it would down fast... sure... but no power... then shift down again and then shift down again to the point where I finally got the acceleration I wanted after 3 seconds of waiting. I couldn't imagine how bad a 9 speed would be in a big heavy vehicle like the Ridgeline (and its not even double clutch right???)... you couldn't pay me to take the 9 speed.

My 6 speed ridgeline has exactly the acceleration I want and need at any time.

21 - 40 of 203 Posts