Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have been driving my 20 RL in S mode for over a month now specifically for the better throttle response. It no longer hesitates when I need to pull out in heavy traffic.
I will shift it to D once Im on the highway because if I don't it will stay in 6th gear and run all the way to 3500rpm if left alone.
It is a bit over responsive in S until you get used to it but once you do its fine.
Over 4 weeks of driving my average fuel economy seems to have suffered by 1mpg, 22 to 21mpg. Thats not really scientific but its the best I can do. Most of my 64 mile commute is on the freeway but at least one way will be in heavy commute traffic.
One warning, no start/stop in S. Some of you will find that a plus though Im sure.
By the way, its been a fun four weeks of driving.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have been driving my 20 RL in S mode for over a month now specifically for the better throttle response. It no longer hesitates when I need to pull out in heavy traffic.
I will shift it to D once Im on the highway because if I don't it will stay in 6th gear and run all the way to 3500rpm if left alone.
It is a bit over responsive in S until you get used to it but once you do its fine.
Over 4 weeks of driving my average fuel economy seems to have suffered by 1mpg, 22 to 21mpg. Thats not really scientific but its the best I can do. Most of my 64 mile commute is on the freeway but at least one way will be in heavy commute traffic.
One warning, no start/stop in S. Some of you will find that a plus though Im sure.
By the way, its been a fun four weeks of driving.
“To improve responsiveness and acceleration in your Honda, try this one weird trick!”

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Steering wheel Watch

(Yes, I’m aware it’s S mode in the Ridgeline. Let’s not go there. The Honda designers might have been on to something, though.)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
“To improve responsiveness and acceleration in your Honda, try this one weird trick!”

View attachment 426956

(Yes, I’m aware it’s S mode in the Ridgeline. Let’s not go there. The Honda designers might have been on to something, though.)
And yet you fail (again and again) to understand what i wrote this whole time….

(Boy, my clickbait really works! You’re still here…answering questions that were never asked…. :D )

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
2,005 Posts
Or a Pedal Commander which I think is the best one on the market.

What can it do that my foot can't? If i want response I turn off ECO and press a little more pedal.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,661 Posts
What can it do that my foot can't? If i want response I turn off ECO and press a little more pedal.
A TON! It's not the same as just pressing your foot down more or harder on the accelerator. It is a device that allows for the recalibration of the pedal potentiometer and how the deal now react to touch. You have over 30 settings, based on what you buy, to dial it in exactly as you like. If you tried one, you will see it makes it far more responsive and a lot more fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Sprintbooster fixed the lazy throttle response in my truck. Best of all it's very customizable and can be adjusted for more or less throttle response at the push of a button.
You will never go wrong with a Sprint Booster or Pedal Commander. I just like the design and operation of the PC better but, in the end, they do the same thing.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
You will never go wrong with a Sprint Booster or Pedal Commander. I just like the design and operation of the PC better but, in the end, they do the same thing.
My gripes have been lazy throttle response and downshifts that take forever which make for a slow driving experience.
So the booster/commander livens up the throttle but what about downshifts? Or is a more responsive throttle enough to make you forget about the long time to downshift? I wouldn't be looking for more speed or power just to make it more immediate to inputs from my foot.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
My gripes have been lazy throttle response and downshifts that take forever which make for a slow driving experience.
So the booster/commander livens up the throttle but what about downshifts? Or is a more responsive throttle enough to make you forget about the long time to downshift? I wouldn't be looking for more speed or power just to make it more immediate to inputs from my foot.
There should be zero effects on downshifts as that is TCM programming. Just to be clear, you don't get anymore "speed" or "power"...you just get a shorter throttle response time when pressing the accelerator. It makes the truck "feel" faster and more powerful even though it is not. When I had mine in my RAM, it was sluggish and not fun to drive. Getting a PC and putting it in SPORT +4 really woke it up...put a smile on my face and had no adverse issues. If you dial it up too high, just a little throttle can cause it to lurch forward and you may be at risk of rear ending someone which is why the upper modes are more designed for track use and not on-road use. It took me a few days of playing around with the various settings until I found my sweet spot and then never touched it again. The beauty of the PC is that it has Bluetooth. Therefore, you can hide the controller well out of site and, if you do want to make a change, it can be easily done via your phone app.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,705 Posts
Pedal Commander just sounds like something a 13yo would put on his BMX bicycle. :ROFLMAO:

I haven't used either one, as I think my wife would throw a fit with me driving with more throttle response. Occasionally I step on the gas pedal a little too hard at a stop sign and surprise her (and not in a good way).

I suspect if you put the truck into Sand mode, that might give an impression of what you might feel with SB or PC? As far as throttle response, anyway. The shift rpms and front torque bias should remain unchanged.
On second thought, Sand mode is probably more like S mode, but dialed up to 11....

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,472 Posts
FWIW, I've use 93 octane extensively in my 2008 Ridgeline and really can't tell any performance difference between 93 and 87 octane. Any fuel economy differences are easily explained by trip differences, weather, traffic, etc. I finally switched back to 87 octane the other day because of the ridiculous price of gas, especially 93 octane.

I was mainly using 93 octane because I thought it might be beneficial to the TC and also the better cleaners in premium since my Ridgeline sits in my garage a lot vs being driven a lot. But I couldn't feel anything in the seat of my pants and the mpg changes were minimal, at best. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Mark27

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
FWIW, I've use 93 octane extensively in my 2008 Ridgeline and really can't tell any performance difference between 93 and 87 octane. Any fuel economy differences are easily explained by trip differences, weather, traffic, etc. I finally switched back to 87 octane the other day because of the ridiculous price of gas, especially 93 octane.

I was mainly using 93 octane because I thought it might be beneficial to the TC and also the better cleaners in premium since my Ridgeline sits in my garage a lot vs being driven a lot. But I couldn't feel anything in the seat of my pants and the mpg changes were minimal, at best. 🤷‍♂️
That is exactly what the fuel manufacturers want you to believe in all their marketing hype to buy the more expensive fuel. Actually 87 and 93 have very similar detergents if you buy from a top-tier supplier like Shell, Exxon, Mobil, BP, etc. Putting anything greater into an engine specifically designed for 87 will do nothing but cost you more money for zero benefit.

·
Super Moderator
24,472 Posts
That is exactly what the fuel manufacturers want you to believe in all their marketing hype to buy the more expensive fuel. Actually 87 and 93 have very similar detergents if you buy from a top-tier supplier like Shell, Exxon, Mobil, BP, etc. Putting anything greater into an engine specifically designed for 87 will do nothing but cost you more money for zero benefit.
I used to think that too until Gary Flint educated me (at least in regards to the J35).

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
I used to think that too until Gary Flint educated me (at least in regards to the J35).

You will never get a return on your investment IMPO and experiences. My advice for anyone that has money to burn is buy 93 if it makes you feel good. Just don't expect any real results for the money spent.

Reactions: Mark27

·
Super Moderator
24,472 Posts
You will never get a return on your investment IMPO and experiences. My advice for anyone that has money to burn is buy 93 if it makes you feel good. Just don't expect any real results for the money spent.
Oh it's not meant to be cost effective. Gary says that in the body of the message.

But it's probably the cheapest way to get an extra 10HP at the top end, should that be a driving factor (no pun intended). :D

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Oh it's not meant to be cost effective. Gary says that in the body of the message.

But it's probably the cheapest way to get an extra 10HP at the top end, should that be a driving factor (no pun intended). :D
Not all engines react the same way as it relates to octane, so it may not even give you that. In addition, I don't know of many folks that rev their truck near redline to get any gains anyway ;)

·
Super Moderator
24,472 Posts
Not all engines react the same way as it relates to octane, so it may not even give you that. In addition, I don't know of many folks that rev their truck near redline to get any gains anyway ;)
True, but apparently the J35 actually does respond to premium fuel, even though designed for 87 octane. Still, I can't say I've ever sensed or measured any difference from acceleration or FE. 🤷‍♂️

OTOH, I did an extensive test using nonE gas and determined I got about 1.5 mpg improvement in FE. But that was years ago. ;)

Reactions: securityguy

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
True, but apparently the J35 actually does respond to premium fuel, even though designed for 87 octane. Still, I can't say I've ever sensed or measured any difference from acceleration or FE. 🤷‍♂️

OTOH, I did an extensive test using nonE gas and determined I got about 1.5 mpg improvement in FE. But that was years ago. ;)
Ethanol can be very bad for an engine based on its percentage and dramatically reduces its mpg regardless. I understand we need to help farmers, but there has to be a better way to use corn than putting it in fuel...just my 2 cents.

61 - 80 of 215 Posts