Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
101 - 120 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
4 Posts
My 2022 RL is in shop due to brake noise. Tech is unsure what is wrong. So, i have a loaner…2022 Honda HRV. MRSP is $25k.

The car is OK. Noisy. Suspension too firm for my taste. Bad seating. Tons of road noise! I would not buy it for sure.

But damn, the throttle is perfect. The powertrain moves to my right foot perfectly. No lag. No rubber necking because your body expect something and your car does not respond. No hesitation. Smooth. Mid corner throttle or braking? No problem.

And this is on ECO mode!!! Oh, no crappy auto-start/stop to ruin the experience. No need for Sport/Sequential mode either because throttle response is perfect. Surprisingly, the HRV’s CVT is well-behaved. (Note, i have not off-roaded the HRV or tow etc. to comment on CVT in those situations.)

Why is it that Honda got the throttle so right on HRV and yet so wrong on the fancy Ridgeline?? RL’s engine is great i am sure. But the throttle tuning and ZF 9-speed are just a disaster IMHO. ECO mode on RL is useless...might as well put a pillow behind the gas pedal. The fancy ZF shifting is pure crap. Sport/Sequential mode is too aggressive for daily driving. Non-S mode makes the engine into a non-boosted 3-cylinder slow poke. It is sad when I have to use S-mode just to merge onto highway ramp! A simple task as accelerating from stop is painfully slow because ZF starts in 2nd gear! And then you add in the useless auto-start/stop crap that damages engines apparently!

I love the RL. One of the best cars i have ever owned. Extremely practical. But the powertrain tuning and/or transmission leave A LOT to be desired.

Sorry for rant.
h

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL, 2019 Pilot EX-L
258 Posts
Ethanol can be very bad for an engine based on its percentage and dramatically reduces its mpg regardless. I understand we need to help farmers, but there has to be a better way to use corn than putting it in fuel...just my 2 cents.
It is not helping farmers, it is hurting our food supply and our pocketbooks.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL, 2019 Pilot EX-L
258 Posts
I've never tried the Sprint Booster or Pedal Commander, but from what I've read, it just makes the throttle more touchy. Can it stop the 2022 Ridgeline from always searching for the longest gear, trying to maximize fuel economy? Does it really change anything, other than making it jumpy when you touch the pedal? Does it re-map the entire thing with RPM's and stuff? Does it make it like driving half way between D and S? I'd get it installed and be unhappy, I'm guessing.

One thing I AM happy with is the disable stop/start device I got. Worth it.
I am so very happy that mine has never worked and I sure as hell would not tell the dealer.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
4 Posts
I too felt the throttle response was lacking in my 2021 Sport so I took a chance and installed a Pedal Commander in my truck. Pedal Commander has 4 ranges ,ECO, CITY, SPORT, and SPORT+ with each range have 4 progressive steps. Install is easy ,just plug it inline with your pedal. Ran mine so the control box wound up in the console. You can go from a slug to wild child. I now drive normally in the CITY 2 setting and its a great improvement over stock. If I want a little more zip I switch to CITY4. All you do is stop the truck, put in park make your change and put it back in gear. Cant make changes on the move. You still have 2 more aggressive SPORT and SPORT+ ranges to go. I really like its improvement and its adjustability. You can return it to stock if you like. I bought mine online at the Ridgeline Store for about $350. I think bang for the buck, ease of install and adjustability you wont be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,425 Posts
You can get a PC right now for $265 on Amazon which is directly from the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm honestly very surprised to read this.

Having driven probably more than a million miles in my lifetime, and that may be an underestimation, I've never experienced any difference in a vehicle's performance using premium fuel, when regular is the normal and suggested fuel. Conversely, I've owned luxury brands that are optimized for a higher octane fuel, but run and perform equally well on regular.

Of course, my experience is mine, and mine alone, and certainly not scientific, but I think my experience is indicative of the real world.

This isn't to question what you feel, but I've never experienced the same situation.
Some engines adjust spark timing to prevent detonation. With higher octane fuel, they will advance the timing a bit, and that can translate into more horsepower. You would not feel it until you ask it for a lot of power. I had a Toyota T100 that was made for 87 octane, but when pulling a heavy trailer, I found it could not really hold 55 mph up a gentle hill. I tried 89 octane and found it could do it. Small difference, but enough to be worth mid-grade gas for hauling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2022 RL is in shop due to brake noise. Tech is unsure what is wrong. So, i have a loaner…2022 Honda HRV. MRSP is $25k.

The car is OK. Noisy. Suspension too firm for my taste. Bad seating. Tons of road noise! I would not buy it for sure.

But damn, the throttle is perfect. The powertrain moves to my right foot perfectly. No lag. No rubber necking because your body expect something and your car does not respond. No hesitation. Smooth. Mid corner throttle or braking? No problem.

And this is on ECO mode!!! Oh, no crappy auto-start/stop to ruin the experience. No need for Sport/Sequential mode either because throttle response is perfect. Surprisingly, the HRV’s CVT is well-behaved. (Note, i have not off-roaded the HRV or tow etc. to comment on CVT in those situations.)

Why is it that Honda got the throttle so right on HRV and yet so wrong on the fancy Ridgeline?? RL’s engine is great i am sure. But the throttle tuning and ZF 9-speed are just a disaster IMHO. ECO mode on RL is useless...might as well put a pillow behind the gas pedal. The fancy ZF shifting is pure crap. Sport/Sequential mode is too aggressive for daily driving. Non-S mode makes the engine into a non-boosted 3-cylinder slow poke. It is sad when I have to use S-mode just to merge onto highway ramp! A simple task as accelerating from stop is painfully slow because ZF starts in 2nd gear! And then you add in the useless auto-start/stop crap that damages engines apparently!

I love the RL. One of the best cars i have ever owned. Extremely practical. But the powertrain tuning and/or transmission leave A LOT to be desired.

Sorry for rant.
My 2020 RTLe has plenty of go for freeway merging in the drive mode. I have to watch myself because it's easy to be going 80 on a merge with regular fuel I do have it in regular mode and not the eco mode but that is really for when I'm using cruise on the freeway to work. With the adaptive cruise it does need a little more oomph so that the space doesn't get too big otherwise you just keep sliding back in traffic as car pull in the gap. (I've been accused by a passenger of being an aggressive drive on occasion.)

I love my Ridgeline. Yes, the bed is just airpace 95% of the time but for that 5% of the time, it's priceless. We'll see hose this Honda does but I'm hoping for 15+ years of comfortable driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have been driving manual stick (millennial theft deterrent) vehicles for the past 36 years. There is always manual mode once you hit the paddle shifter in 'S' mode. Stays that way once engaged until you hit 'D' again to go back to standard auto 'Drive' or twice for auto 'Sport' modes.

Q

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2020 RTL-E needs drivetrain help, and the pedal commander looks like a partial solution. Everything else on the G2 is as good or better than my 2008 RTL.

The G2's throttle response is awful; I can often count to 3 seconds before a reaction to throttle input is felt in everyday driving situations. There is a built-in delay in throttle response I've seen documented by a seller of these throttle-response devices, which can be addressed by the device. But the transmission gear-hunting when applying the throttle (particularly between 25-45mph) adds considerable delay.

Been this way since I bought it, would a transmission flush & fill help? Others on the forum have complained of similar experiences, so I blew it off as part of the zf9 experience. I suppose I should take it to the dealer while still under warranty.

I'll be ordering the pedal commander.

Reactions: Madtiger11

·
Registered
236 Posts
I remember driving cars with three speed automatic and can't remember anyone complaining, " I wish if I had more gears!" I am baffled as to the need for 9 and even ten gears. What's next - 15 or 20 gears? I am not even sure why are we calling one of the gears and overdrive. There is a button on the gear shifter of my 2017 BE that I used to press to help brake the vehicle (if I anticipate stopping almost in an emergency situation down a hill or approaching a surprise stop sign or red light) until I learned from the ROC forum that this is bad for the transmission. Then, if I needed to downshift even further, I had to pull the shifter from D in the opposite direction of Neutral, which made the transmission sound as if this lower gear was now far too low. I never could figure or hear 4, 5, or six different gears automatically changing, and there is no indication of a number showing any gear selection; L seems ambiguous: but it would be nice to have that "in between gear" when I am down shifting. It would also be nice to have a higher gear than D, if I were driving on level ground over 80 mph or downhill but I understand that engines can be destroyed easier when a vehicle is placed in a gear that doesn't have adequate power rather than when placed in a gear that has too much power. So here is my dilemma: I love my 2017 BE but would like another gear or maybe two more, but I would not want to trade it in for a newer Ridgeline that has an unnecessary amount of gears that demands the vehicle to keep hunting and pecking ineffectively for a suitable gear, because there are mechanically and technologically just too many to chose from. If there is an obvious consensus that the newer Ridgeline has missed some kind of a sweet spot in the way the throttle lags during acceleration or will not downshift in a timely manner, then it may just require a small manufacturer's adjustment during a recall rather than to continue to obfuscate this discrepancy.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I remember driving cars with three speed automatic and can't remember anyone complaining, " I wish if I had more gears!" I am baffled as to the need for 9 and even ten gears. What's next - 15 or 20 gears? I am not even sure why are we calling one of the gears and overdrive. There is a button on the gear shifter of my 2017 BE that I used to press to help brake the vehicle (if I anticipate stopping almost in an emergency situation down a hill or approaching a surprise stop sign or red light) until I learned from the ROC forum that this is bad for the transmission. Then, if I needed to downshift even further, I had to pull the shifter from D in the opposite direction of Neutral, which made the transmission sound as if this lower gear was now far too low. I never could figure or hear 4, 5, or six different gears automatically changing, and there is no indication of a number showing any gear selection; L seems ambiguous: but it would be nice to have that "in between gear" when I am down shifting. It would also be nice to have a higher gear than D, if I were driving on level ground over 80 mph or downhill but I understand that engines can be destroyed easier when a vehicle is placed in a gear that doesn't have adequate power rather than when placed in a gear that has too much power. So here is my dilemma: I love my 2017 BE but would like another gear or maybe two more, but I would not want to trade it in for a newer Ridgeline that has an unnecessary amount of gears that demands the vehicle to keep hunting and pecking ineffectively for a suitable gear, because there are mechanically and technologically just too many to chose from. If there is an obvious consensus that the newer Ridgeline has missed some kind of a sweet spot in the way the throttle lags during acceleration or will not downshift in a timely manner, then it may just require a small manufacturer's adjustment during a recall rather than to continue to obfuscate this discrepancy.
Additional gears yields better fuel economy. I don't think we'll see any trannys go past 10 now with the push for EV's and less of a focus on ICE. For the record, my RL does not hunt and peck for gears. It finds what it needs and stays there. I have seen no consensus regarding missing a sweet spot or not downshifting in a timely manner? I do not have these issues and they shouldn't be painted with broad brush. The 2021-2022 is a superior vehicle to the 2017. However, if you enjoy your 17, and are freaked out by what you think you know, then keep it ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Some engines adjust spark timing to prevent detonation. With higher octane fuel, they will advance the timing a bit, and that can translate into more horsepower. You would not feel it until you ask it for a lot of power. I had a Toyota T100 that was made for 87 octane, but when pulling a heavy trailer, I found it could not really hold 55 mph up a gentle hill. I tried 89 octane and found it could do it. Small difference, but enough to be worth mid-grade gas for hauling.
Hi Jake, makes sense. Again, I can only speak from my own experiences, and I can definitively say that my experience hasn't been that adding a higher octane fuel has provided me with additional power. I've also owned a number of luxury brands that state that premium fuel is a requirement. At least on those vehicles I've owned in the last 20 years, none of them showed me degraded performance when I used regular (87) octane.

I can also say definitively that I prefer using non-ethanol fuel in an older car that I have. It is an 80's era muscle car that doesn't have all of the sophistication of an OBD-II car. It idles better, runs smoother, and generally feels better on non-E fuel.

·
Registered
'21 Ridgeline RTL-E, '07 Ridgeline, '08 997TT
274 Posts
I too felt the throttle response was lacking in my 2021 Sport so I took a chance and installed a Pedal Commander in my truck. Pedal Commander has 4 ranges ,ECO, CITY, SPORT, and SPORT+ with each range have 4 progressive steps. Install is easy ,just plug it inline with your pedal. Ran mine so the control box wound up in the console. You can go from a slug to wild child. I now drive normally in the CITY 2 setting and its a great improvement over stock. If I want a little more zip I switch to CITY4. All you do is stop the truck, put in park make your change and put it back in gear. Cant make changes on the move. You still have 2 more aggressive SPORT and SPORT+ ranges to go. I really like its improvement and its adjustability. You can return it to stock if you like. I bought mine online at the Ridgeline Store for about $350. I think bang for the buck, ease of install and adjustability you wont be disappointed.
Sounds similar to the Sprint Booster, except the SB has 18 levels of adjustment and level adjustments can be changed on the fly.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Sounds similar to the Sprint Booster, except the SB has 18 levels of adjustment and level adjustments can be changed on the fly.
The PC has 32 levels of adjustment

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
There were rumors that Acura was working on an 11-spd TCT (triple-clutch transmission) a few years back.
Could be, but a lot has changed in two years with all manufacturers focusing more on EV's than ICE. If I had a crystal ball, I would not be driving a Ridgeline :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Referencing post #112 concerning gears.

The 9-sp seems to function more like a 7-sp with an overdrive. 1st gear does engage unless we select it or start off with the pedal to the metal. 9th gear engages only at higher speeds under relaxed conditions.
I grew up with manuals with the 1st automatic being a Powerglide (2-sp, GM).

Reactions: speedlever

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Referencing post #122 concerning gears.

The 9-sp seems to function more like a 7-sp with an overdrive. 1st gear does engage unless we select it or start off with the pedal to the metal. 9th gear engages only at higher speeds under relaxed conditions.
I grew up with manuals with the 1st automatic being a Powerglide (2-sp, GM).
Post 122? Your post was 119 ;)

Reactions: SEW
101 - 120 of 203 Posts