Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
121 - 140 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
21 RL RTL-E Silver
364 Posts
Currently, we have a 2016 odyssey with the 6speed and a 2021 RL. I love how snappy is the throttle in the Odyssey. If you aren't careful it will spin those tires easily, especially in a turn.
Now the RL when you gun it, pulls harder than the minivan. The additional gears and power are doing a great job.
I prefer the 9speed over the 6speed. It gives me more control over the gears. The 6speed is very limited.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,057 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,302 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Obsidian blue RTL
8 Posts
My 2022 RL is in shop due to brake noise. Tech is unsure what is wrong. So, i have a loaner…2022 Honda HRV. MRSP is $25k.

The car is OK. Noisy. Suspension too firm for my taste. Bad seating. Tons of road noise! I would not buy it for sure.

But damn, the throttle is perfect. The powertrain moves to my right foot perfectly. No lag. No rubber necking because your body expect something and your car does not respond. No hesitation. Smooth. Mid corner throttle or braking? No problem.

And this is on ECO mode!!! Oh, no crappy auto-start/stop to ruin the experience. No need for Sport/Sequential mode either because throttle response is perfect. Surprisingly, the HRV’s CVT is well-behaved. (Note, i have not off-roaded the HRV or tow etc. to comment on CVT in those situations.)

Why is it that Honda got the throttle so right on HRV and yet so wrong on the fancy Ridgeline?? RL’s engine is great i am sure. But the throttle tuning and ZF 9-speed are just a disaster IMHO. ECO mode on RL is useless...might as well put a pillow behind the gas pedal. The fancy ZF shifting is pure crap. Sport/Sequential mode is too aggressive for daily driving. Non-S mode makes the engine into a non-boosted 3-cylinder slow poke. It is sad when I have to use S-mode just to merge onto highway ramp! A simple task as accelerating from stop is painfully slow because ZF starts in 2nd gear! And then you add in the useless auto-start/stop crap that damages engines apparently!

I love the RL. One of the best cars i have ever owned. Extremely practical. But the powertrain tuning and/or transmission leave A LOT to be desired.

Sorry for rant.
You're totally right! My 2021 performs exactly the same. The torque curve reluctantly shows up @ 4700 RPM. My wifes 2020 Highlander is just the opposite. Lots of instant low end twist. Honda really did get it wrong. But yeah, I still like the Ridgepilot a lot myself.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Drive it like you stole it, hasn't that always been the honda way. If you are expect to get into big power under vtec, you bought the wrong vehicle. Since vtec, Honda owners have always known, general driving is a bit tame, push through to,the vtec band, hear the roar and off you go. The RL drives the same as the civic si in this respect. I have grown to like the 9spd, esp S mode + SVCM. Hypermiling is silky smooth driving slow. Trying to push too hard in D and it gets quirky because it's never ready. Just put it in S, the rpms are kept high and it drives like a Honda.

·
Registered
229 Posts
😁 sort of my point. Holds the gears longer, keeps in a better power range, immediate response to more pedal. Just don't touch the paddles, it's a pain to get back to auto and they are way too slow to be useful. I only ever use the paddles in D.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks. Not sure I can make the jump to try it, especially for that price- 250 bucks to make the pedal more touchy? is that the price? $265? I really miss sticks, because I could control it myself. Interesting how in this day and age of computers, when we buy a new car, we only get 2 choices with an auto trans - D and S. I can see how Ridgeline buyers get mad.
Based on your comment about longing for a stick, are you aware that when in S mode you can use paddle shifters and it behaves like a stick? It will not allow you to over rev or lug the engine but it will hold the gear you want.

Reactions: SEW

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,797 Posts
FWIW, I've use 93 octane extensively in my 2008 Ridgeline and really can't tell any performance difference between 93 and 87 octane. Any fuel economy differences are easily explained by trip differences, weather, traffic, etc. I finally switched back to 87 octane the other day because of the ridiculous price of gas, especially 93 octane.

I was mainly using 93 octane because I thought it might be beneficial to the TC and also the better cleaners in premium since my Ridgeline sits in my garage a lot vs being driven a lot. But I couldn't feel anything in the seat of my pants and the mpg changes were minimal, at best. 🤷‍♂️
That's because higher octane doesn't necessarily mean increased power. Octane slows combustion (meaning the temperature has to be higher before it combusts). This prevents detonation/pre-ignition of fuel that is often caused by a "hot spot" in the cylinder (carbon buildup is often the culprit). Higher octane fuels are typically used in racing (I used to run 100 back in the day) not to increase HP, but to prevent knock from detonation as the engine ran hotter and hotter. Obviously, pre-ignition can not only cause internal damage, but it also lowers power significantly.

87 octane will actually give the most consistent power across the spectrum of engine heat, from cold to hot to really hot. It has been shown using dyno tests that the higher octane fuels actually LOWERS power (2-3 Hp).

Unless a manufacturer requires a higher octane fuel, there is no reason to pay the extra $$, from all I have learned over the years. The good news is that higher octane fuel won't hurt your engine, only your wallet.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,797 Posts
ECO and S are polar opposites. No.

You either want to save gas and slow down throttle response OR put it in SPORT and rev the hell out of the engine and use far more gas than D!
Point of order, Sir... it's not sport mode. It's sequential mode, automatic shifting (gears 1-8 vs 2-9 with D). With an option for SM, or manual shifting using the paddle shifters, with all 9 gears.

(just doing my part, stepping in for @zroger73 who is oddly absent from this thread. Probably enjoying some down time somewhere cool.)

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
864 Posts
A point of order to your point of order Sir…with D selected, the transmission will downshift to 1st gear if the driver’s right foot requests a first gear start.
Now @zroger73 can sleep in this morning!

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Point of order, Sir... it's not sport mode. It's sequential mode, automatic shifting (gears 1-8 vs 2-9 with D). With an option for SM, or manual shifting using the paddle shifters, with all 9 gears.

(just doing my part, stepping in for @zroger73 who is oddly absent from this thread. Probably enjoying some down time somewhere cool.)
Point taken and understood. I guess what I was trying to say is that your revs will increase; therefore, having a negative impact on fuel economy, so using ECO in S make no sense at all IMPO.

Reactions: F6Hawk

·
Registered
22 RTL-E
131 Posts
I haven't read all the comments, but to the person who might be thinking about purchasing the Ridgeline and is still reading this thread: I really like how the truck drives. It does have some quirks and you should drive it extensively before you buy it. Also, most of the advanced features could be better, so its far from perfect. Different things matter to different people. I don't care much about the sound system, for some its a show stopper. I have friends with wives who I think, how and why did they marry. But I'm sure they think the same about me.

The bottomline for me is: I look forward to driving the vehicle around town everyday and it accomplishes what I need. I have no problem with the power off the line except for a few instances where I use S mode. Also, please let me turn off Autostart for good. To coin a great philosopher: "You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you just might find, you get what you need.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,230 Posts
In simplistic terms.... in a given engine design with unaltered intake/exhaust, you can increase HP in two ways:
1) increase compression ratio, and 2) increase timing (up to a point). Both of those protocols will likely require increased octane.

In the old days, it was easy to adjust the timing on your engine, and also to alter your compression ratio (though not quite as easy as adjusting timing!). If your engine knocked, you could retard the timing until it ran fine on whatever gasoline you fed it. OTOH, if you had access to cheap high-octane gasoline, you could advance the timing and get a cheap performance boost (increased HP and MPG).

Manufacturers have locked down the tinkering with timing by controlling it with a computer. Many aftermarket "performance tuners" utilize that computer control to adjust timing for you. However, messing with the tuning can and will alter emissions, and the engine may not be within the mfrs emissions specs (thus why mfrs like to keep it locked down, especially so in Honda's case).

Nearly every modern automobile engine has the ability to adjust timing on the fly, depending on conditions. If engine knock, or ping, is detected, the ECU will retard the timing until the engine runs smoothly. This is a good thing since it protects the engine! The ECU will also advance the timing if fuel quality allows, but how far that advance will go depends on the engine amd application. Again, it will affect emissions, so mfrs have a small window to play with. If your engine runs at max timing on 87-octane as designed by the mfr, then running 89-octane or higher will do nothing for you. If the ECU can advance the timing further, however, then higher octane may provide benefits. This has been shown in the G1 Ridgeline, but has not been proven for the G2 Ridgeline.

As an aside, some automakers would like higher-octane fuels (e.g. - 91) to become standard. This would allow them to increase engine compression ratios and/or advance timing to give engines more HP and, more importantly, more MPG. The mfr gets to sell vehicles with higher specs, and the buyer pays extra at the pump. Many performance/luxury brands do this already.

Also, you may hear about race cars running ethanol (ethanol lobbyists LOVE to promote this!). The fact is ethanol has a higher octane than gasoline. If you build an engine to run specifically on ethanol and not gasoline, you will get greater performance out of it. However, high ethanol content fuel is not ready for prime time. Alcohol still has very bad drying effects on some engine components, as well as problematic water-absorption properties. The corn ethanol we are using is bad for the environment, and people don't want to switch to switchgrass ethanol which is much better for the environment than petrol or corn ethanol.

There you have it in simplistic terms.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I haven't read all the comments, but to the person who might be thinking about purchasing the Ridgeline and is still reading this thread: I really like how the truck drives. It does have some quirks and you should drive it extensively before you buy it. Also, most of the advanced features could be better, so its far from perfect. Different things matter to different people. I don't care much about the sound system, for some its a show stopper. I have friends with wives who I think, how and why did they marry. But I'm sure they think the same about me.

The bottomline for me is: I look forward to driving the vehicle around town everyday and it accomplishes what I need. I have no problem with the power off the line except for a few instances where I use S mode. Also, please let me turn off Autostart for good. To coin a great philosopher: "You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you just might find, you get what you need.
You can turn off autostart/stop for good ;) It costs about $85 and takes 5 minutes to install.

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mr Longboat, I have a brother who is a mechanical engineer, and therefore I found your excerpt to be very informative and nostalgic to my teenage years when I use to bug and probe my brother about the theories of engine power. Quietly I could swear all this time that when I use a higher octane fuel on my G1, I got more mile per fill up and a drive that was more pristine, so it was nice to read how you addressed this matter.

#135 · 3 h ago
Otis said:
"... but to the person who might be thinking about purchasing the Ridgeline and is still reading this thread: I really like how the truck drives. It does have some quirks and you should drive it extensively before you buy it. Also, most of the advanced features could be better, so its far from perfect..."

Mr Otis, I am very much interested in buying a newer model pickup truck and was moved by your honesty and the sincerity of your input. It would have been more helpful if you had indicated what year vehicle you owned in your article or on your user profile. Anyway, while I appreciate theoretical facts, there is a matter still at hand that makes me wonder if there is an effort to just shut it down. A man called Mad Tiger who owned a 2022 Ridgeline, identified an automatic gear selection irregularity or annoyance of his truck, after driving a 2022 HRV. Once he came forward to describe this phenomenon to this forum, other ROC members agreed and described similar experiences and shared the use of common devices that was not officially prescribed by the Honda manufacturer to fix this flaw.

Now Mr Otis, if you have this inferiority pride and too ashamed to admit that you might have purchased something with a nuisance or have an agenda of loyalty, then you cannot be objective on this matter. However, something tells me from your writing Mr Otis, that you are a man of integrity and decency. Therefore Sir, if you own a 2022 Ridgeline, could you test drive a 2022 HRV and then tell me if you now observe a flawed phenomenon that you never realized before and had just thought that's the way all nine gears are: the way it's supposed to be: a superior Honda nirvana: hogs heaven of ignorance guarded by arrogant loyalty.

·
Registered
22 RTL-E
131 Posts
#135 · 3 h ago
Otis said:
"... but to the person who might be thinking about purchasing the Ridgeline and is still reading this thread: I really like how the truck drives. It does have some quirks and you should drive it extensively before you buy it. Also, most of the advanced features could be better, so its far from perfect..."

Mr Otis, I am very much interested in buying a newer model pickup truck and was moved by your honesty and the sincerity of your input. It would have been more helpful if you had indicated what year vehicle you owned in your article or on your user profile. Anyway, while I appreciate theoretical facts, there is a matter still at hand that makes me wonder if there is an effort to just shut it down. A man called Mad Tiger who owned a 2022 Ridgeline, identified an automatic gear selection irregularity or annoyance of his truck, after driving a 2022 HRV. Once he came forward to describe this phenomenon to this forum, other ROC members agreed and described similar experiences and shared the use of common devices that was not officially prescribed by the Honda manufacturer to fix this flaw.

Now Mr Otis, if you have this inferiority pride and too ashamed to admit that you might have purchased something with a nuisance or have an agenda of loyalty, then you cannot be objective on this matter. However, something tells me from your writing Mr Otis, that you are a man of integrity and decency. Therefore Sir, if you own a 2022 Ridgeline, could you test drive a 2022 HRV and then tell me if you now observe a flawed phenomenon that you never realized before and had just thought that's the way all nine gears are: the way it's supposed to be: a superior Honda nirvana: hogs heaven of ignorance guarded by arrogant loyalty.
[/QUOTE]
:D I don't know if I've ever been referred to as Mr Otis. It's a 2022 RTL-E.

121 - 140 of 192 Posts