Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read and been told conflicting things about the timing belt. So whats the truth, when should the timing belt be done and can I tell if it's been done. I bought the vehicle about 6 months ago with 140,000kms and while sitting in the dealership looking over the vehicle I did some quick research on my phone and thought it had to be done at 120,000kms (75,000miles). Asked the dealer about it and the made a "phone call" to the pattern dealership that took it on trade and they claimed it was done. I took their word for it and bought the the truck, stupid. So a little time later I was looking for a noise unrelated to the TB and noticed there was nothing marked or noted on the cover to say it was done. Did some more research and found it should be done at roughly 170,000kms (108,000 miles). So I thought whatever, I'll probably not own it that long. But than I was into the Honda dealer looking for a new CRV for my wife and mentioned jokingly about trading the Ridgeline in and the sales person told me that it was do for the TB and other servicing at 140k. I'm not sure if she was just trying to get the trade value knocked down or she really knew. I just ignored her and forgot about, but than it popped back in my head today and did some reading on here, 108,000 seems to be the common answer but still not 100%.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Remember there's also a time guideline of 84 months. I'm only at 55k on my 2008 but I hit 84 months this year. I live in FL (hot), take a lot of short trips, and also tow regularly so I'll be changing the belt towards year end or early next year.
These vehicles have an interference engine, so if the belt breaks, internal damage can occur. You have to decide on your own what level of risk you are comfortable with and go from there.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
What are the thoughts on us who put less than say 6K per year on our Ridgelines?
Remember there's also a time guideline of 84 months. I'm only at 55k on my 2008 but I hit 84 months this year. I live in FL (hot), take a lot of short trips, and also tow regularly so I'll be changing the belt towards year end or early next year.
These vehicles have an interference engine, so if the belt breaks, internal damage can occur. You have to decide on your own what level of risk you are comfortable with and go from there.
10-12 years is plenty IMO; .... but I suppose I might go with the 84 months if I lived in Nome or the Sahara... or did a lot of stressful driving (e.g. full time towing a heavy load).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting. I just purchased my first Ridgeline. It's a 2008 RTX with only 52000 miles on it. I don't know how it was driven by the previous owner. I live in Iowa, so warm summers and cold winters.

Should i consider the timing belt anytime soon? What's that usually cost? I wasn't even thinking that I'd have such a big expense right away.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Interesting. I just purchased my first Ridgeline. It's a 2008 RTX with only 52000 miles on it. I don't know how it was driven by the previous owner. I live in Iowa, so warm summers and cold winters.

Should i consider the timing belt anytime soon? What's that usually cost? I wasn't even thinking that I'd have such a big expense right away.
It is an expensive service, but no you shouldn't have to worry about it right away. If it were me, I'd be looking out 3 years or so, presuming you don't reach the mileage trigger by then.

·
Registered
579 Posts
All of my vehicles have a X # of months and/or X # of miles for timing belt/water pump replacement.
One of my vehicles recommended 60k miles for this service. I pushed the envelope to 90k since everthing seemed fine.
Then one day I noticed the valve clatter and sluggish performance. Knowing that the motor is a interference type, I didn't drive it and changed all the belt/pump components before any major damage occurred.
Don't go cheap here, I would recommend new tensioner; rollers; etc. Many kits come complete with everything you need and more.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Did mine at 108k or so. Looked brand new.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I called my buddy who was a mech and he said they reccommend 7 years or 105k miles, whichever comes first. As long as you don't have any symptoms of a failing tensioner or other components.
My vehicles all differ, 60; 80 & 100k miles depending on make & model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting. I just acquired my first Ridgeline. It's a 2008 RTX with only 52000 miles on it. I don't know how it was driven by the previous owner. I live in Iowa, so warm midsummers and cold winters. I’m only at 55k on my 2008 but I hit 84 months this year. I live in FL (hot), take a lot of short trips, and also tow regularly so I'll be changing the belt towards year end or early next year.
These vehicles have a prying engine, so if the belt breaks, centre damage can occur. You have to decide on your own what level of risk you are comfortable with and go from there

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have mine in today for its timing belt. Mile High Honda in Denver is charging 850.00 for the belt, drive belt, tensioner, and water pump. It has 102K and is a 2008 RTL.

I bought it last fall. I took it in because I was already off today and didn't want to miss work trying to get it done later this summer. I changed out all the oils yesterday. I probably won't do the belt again considering how few miles I put on it.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
To the OP, did your RL come with an owners manual? That's where I would have checked if I'm understanding your original post. For a response to some other posts, I put a little less than 10k/year on my 07 RL. With the timing belt/water pump, unless the water pump goes bad before the timing belt mileage recommendation, I'll stick with miles for when I change it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts