Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read there are water leak issues with some of the Ridgelines being produced at the Alabama plant. I'm in the process of trying to order a new one... when it arrives is there anything I can do to ensure that it doesn't have that problem? I'm wondering if it's reasonable for me to ask to drive it through the car wash before I officialy take ownership of the truck. I had a non-honda vehicle years ago that leaked and it was seriously a 5+ year ordeal that I never want to have to mess with again.

Just wondering if it's crazy for me to ask about testing water seals. :)

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,359 Posts
Remember when purchasing an automobile.... EVERYTHING is negotiable!!

Given the history of water leaks in the Ridgeline, it is NOT unreasonable to ask to check for water leaks prior to purchasing the truck.

If the dealer absolutely says no, then consider another dealer. I know that is easier said than done when vehicles are so scarce right now. At the very least, let them know that you will be checking for water leaks periodically and will be relentless in having THEIR service department do the repairs if you do find any water leaks. Also note that you will not fill out the survey until you have had a chance to check for water leaks.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Just pull up that interior piece when before the deal in finalized like Sparky did. It would be a lot easier if there was inventory on the ground to do this. I've checked car complaints and I don't see anything about this. Other small stuff is mentioned that Honda has addressed (fuel filler freezing, hood flutter, fuel injectors) so my take is that this is a rare problem. How hard could it be for Honda to take a RL that leaks and one that doesn't leak, take the bed parts off and find the source of the issue and come out with a fix and prevent if from occurring further? If it is a worrisome issue then be prepared sell at or avoid the RL altogether. Personally, I'd only pass if there was a pattern issue without a fix. Sometimes forums responses don't paint an accurate picture in terms of issue frequency. Look at VCM and the 9 speed, past problems that are treated as current problems.

·
Registered
519 Posts
How hard could it be for Honda to take a RL that leaks and one that doesn't leak, take the bed parts off and find the source of the issue and come out with a fix and prevent if from occurring further?
Apparently pretty difficult since there's been a few 2021 owners on this forum that have/had the issue.

·
Administrator
20,054 Posts
There are nearly as many reports of water leaks as 6-speed transmission failures.

In reality, there are probably more water leaks than transmission failures since the latter is more obvious. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just pull up that interior piece when before the deal in finalized like Sparky did. It would be a lot easier if there was inventory on the ground to do this. I've checked car complaints and I don't see anything about this. Other small stuff is mentioned that Honda has addressed (fuel filler freezing, hood flutter, fuel injectors) so my take is that this is a rare problem. How hard could it be for Honda to take a RL that leaks and one that doesn't leak, take the bed parts off and find the source of the issue and come out with a fix and prevent if from occurring further? If it is a worrisome issue then be prepared sell at or avoid the RL altogether. Personally, I'd only pass if there was a pattern issue without a fix. Sometimes forums responses don't paint an accurate picture in terms of issue frequency. Look at VCM and the 9 speed, past problems that are treated as current problems.
I think it is an issue with the assembly process. If some jackleg is not properly applying sealer to the body he/she needs to be retrained. I'll wait for the cows to come home....

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,359 Posts
The sealant is likely applied by robots, and HMA may have too much manufacturing slop programmed into their robots (either the ones applying the sealant, or the ones holding the truck in place while the sealant is being applied). Either that or Honda got some bad sealant from one of their suppliers.

Another possibility is seams along the cabin having too big of a gap, again due to poor manufacturing tolerances / sloppy robot tolerances. Should there be pinched seams? Failing welds? Gaps too big for specified sealant?

Many possibilities...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've read there are water leak issues with some of the Ridgelines being produced at the Alabama plant. I'm in the process of trying to order a new one... when it arrives is there anything I can do to ensure that it doesn't have that problem? I'm wondering if it's reasonable for me to ask to drive it through the car wash before I officialy take ownership of the truck. I had a non-honda vehicle years ago that leaked and it was seriously a 5+ year ordeal that I never want to have to mess with again.

You're the customer and are droping 40K plus ...so no, its not crazy. They should be able to accommodate you, most dealerships have car washes and do mini details for each service these days. If they cant...find a new dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have my story on a website: hondaridgelineleaks.com, that hopefully helps others work with their dealer either pre- or post- close on a vehicle. The design does appear to depend on sealant to do its job, so in my case it looks like sealant was applied, but did get all the right spots. I was lucky enough to test my car on an incline where the problem recurred after fix #1. Fix #1 did entail some vent trim pieces that appeared to have been assembled wrong, however. The dealer did test after fix #1 on level ground (thank you San Francisco Honda!), but could not replicate. Luckily I live on a hill and saw the problem occur, and brought ramps to the dealer to help recreate the exact conditions at my house. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, and hope to work with my dealer to resolve if it should reoccur. But I was very thankful to the team at SF Honda for listening and not brushing me off like a crazy person (there are many around here in SF).

If I were to buy a new Ridgeline today, I'd choose a dealer with a good reputation, and bring some ramps and a hose :). I'm one of those that usually takes forums with a grain of salt (more complaints by nature!), so I was really surprised when I tested and found this leak.

After researching a bit the construction of the back wall, felt like sharing my notes/thoughts with the Ridgeline community would be best.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I kid you not, the "best thing" you can do is NOT buy this truck. My 2020 RTL-E, as it turned out, leaked (rear window area but NOT the rear window, because that has now been replaced but still leaking) the day I drove it off the lot. It is now as of today back at the dealer, they are going to pull the ENTIRE headliner and EVERYTHING associated with it to look for the source. I can and did tell them the source, it's the crappy seams where the roof was (spot) welded to be body. I can not WAIT to see what they screw up "trying" to fix it this time.

Honestly, DO NOT BUY this truck. Chances of you regretting it are very high.

Here's my leaking POS. Looks nice sure, but poorly designed and even more poorly assembled.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

1 - 14 of 14 Posts