Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I REALLY want to buy a Ridgeline. This truck checks just about every box I’m looking for.

I REALLY don’t like the way the Ridgeline looks. It. Looks. Terrible. It’s an Odyssey with the back cut off, full stop. I marvel at how Honda is so good at making great products, and so bad at not making them look terrible.

Please share ideas and images. How do you make a Ridgeline Look Good??? The truck brings a lot to the table. I want to look at mine everyday and think, ‘That is a good-looking ride...’

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Are you concerned about the looks, or are you concerned with what your friends and neighbors will think about the looks? Just remember, if somebody says it looks like a minivan, compare payload specs and be sure to tell them your "minivan" hauls more than their midsize truck.

On the bright side, the 2020 model should debut soon, and chances are that it will look a little beefier.

If ya got the money, a good body shop can work miracles.

Just remember, when you're driving the thing, you can't see much of the outside.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Please share ideas and images. How do you make a Ridgeline Look Good???
IMO this treatment looks Great:

My RTL-E on my property, lookin' even better than it did on the dealer's lot (every day of the week)! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Honestly I wasn’t crazy about the look when I first bought my 2019 RTL-T either. It has really grown on me. Now I see the G1’s and I like the look of them now too. For what it’s worth, and I can’t really explain why, the truck looks beefier IMO with a roof rack installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I must have gotten the rare good looking one from the factory.
Hahaha! Touché

Are you concerned about the looks, or are you concerned with what your friends and neighbors will think about the looks? Just remember, if somebody says it looks like a minivan, compare payload specs and be sure to tell them your "minivan" hauls more than their midsize truck.

On the bright side, the 2020 model should debut soon, and chances are that it will look a little beefier.

If ya got the money, a good body shop can work miracles.

Just remember, when you're driving the thing, you can't see much of the outside.
Good points!

I’d hesitate on the body shop. I honestly wouldn’t know to ask for.

I hear you on specs, and frankly look forward to those conversations.

Unfortunately, yeah I don’t like the way it looks.

For context, I presently drive an 08 Civic LX. Love that car. 227k miles. I did all the work on it. I am proud of it, and I always thought it was a pretty ugly car, but I’m hooked on Honda. This time around, I want the exact same experience, except, I want some surface-level, skin-deep, tinder-esque, appreciation of the least important part- looks!

Easy example, I saw a Ridgeline on the highway this week with a black grill guard....it made a big difference!

Honestly I wasn’t crazy about the look when I first bought my 2019 RTL-T either. It has really grown on me. Now I see the G1’s and I like the look of them now too. For what it’s worth, and I can’t really explain why, the truck looks beefier IMO with a roof rack installed.
Googled it. I Agree on the roof rack. This is exactly the type of tip I’m looking for.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Well, you could have a body shop add the front clip from a G1 (see attached photochopped truck).

I think a roll bar with some KC Lites on top would add a lot of machismo, but nobody makes one for the G2...you'd have to find a machine shop to fab it up.

A good bull bar helps, but you may need a lift to maintain ground clearance.

Consider Plasti-Dip. Lotsa blackouts or monochrome can help butch it up. Check the Plasti-Dip threads. You need to make the farkles disappear.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I must have gotten the rare good looking one from the factory.
Well, we must have been lucky enough to come across another one? 😁

I dunno, when I look at these big, brawny looking pickups of today, I always get the feeling of the owner being a bit insecure, suffering from "Little-Big-Man Syndrome", where they feel a need to prove themselves. I actually prefer the current, self-assured "Wolf in sheep's clothing" persona of the Ridgeline myself.

Bill
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I'm with you JBees421. I too struggle with the Gen2's looks. The things I've seen that really help with it's looks are a small 1" or 1.5" front lift (i.e. change it's stance a little), add slightly beefier tires, and add the OEM accessory grille or blackout the chrome on the existing grille. To me, the change in stance and tires alone give the Gen2 an entirely different impression as to what the Ridgeline is capable of and thus can change how looky-loos interpret what they're seeing as you drive down the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
McChizzle, great points! Thank you!

Sandevino- great suggestions. The Plasti-dip threads have some impressive work. Thanks for sharing the idea

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Fender flares?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree the 1 1/2" front lift to level the truck out and some beefier tires mounted to some decent wheels with less offset will do wonders. I really like the look overall but hate the front rake and minivan inset wheels.
I've got the lift, just gotta save for the wheels and tires.
Have fun in your search

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Also keep in mind that you will likely lose 1 - 3 MPG if you elect to go with a lift and AT tires.

It is also possible that vehicle dynamics, safety sensing and crashworthiness could be affected with significant modifications.

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
@JBees421 Methinks this is the Ridgeline you would like. Well, it's the one I would like. :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You have to ask yourself what is important. How it drives or how it looks? I don't spend a lot of time looking at my vehicles outside the times I am washing. I don't have the time in life to set out a chair and just sit in the garage staring. What matters is what it does in the drivers seat as it's a vehicle.

The looks were never the strong points of the G1 or G2 Ridgeline. Honda built both iterations for realistic use instead of unrealistic use. You pay the price with the looks. I'm different I guess as I prefer the realistic nature and looks of the truck vs. the entire truck industry. See the new Chevy full size about to come out for an example. Look at the front grille. I see these trucks on the road with lift kits, here in the urban jungle, know 100% they've never seen dirt, a jump, mud, etc so give me the keys to the truck that handles pavement better than the rest, and AWD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear you on realistic use vs the image of off-roading. It’s a funny thing!

I guess, ultimately, I’m just at least a bit shallow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No need to wash it if you don't care what it looks like. I don't sit and stare at mine in the garage either but I and many others would like their truck to look different than the mom's minivan down the street who's hauling her kids around to soccer practice or the mall - and/or maybe just a little different than every other RL out there. Many (if not most or even all) people relate to their vehicle in some way and just like the clothes you wear, feel it's somewhat of an expression or reflection of who they are. Agree on the over the top super lifted never gonna get off road....ones.
Ultimately, function trumps form for most where a vehicle is concerned but no harm in having both :cool:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
23 Participants
larryr
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing