Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I REALLY want to buy a Ridgeline. This truck checks just about every box I’m looking for.

I REALLY don’t like the way the Ridgeline looks. It. Looks. Terrible. It’s an Odyssey with the back cut off, full stop. I marvel at how Honda is so good at making great products, and so bad at not making them look terrible.

Please share ideas and images. How do you make a Ridgeline Look Good??? The truck brings a lot to the table. I want to look at mine everyday and think, ‘That is a good-looking ride...’
Wait for Ford to release the SuperDuty-Shelby-Raptor-HarleyDavidson-Lariat-EddieBauer-LimitedEdition Ranger. That should help your image

·
Registered
274 Posts
Obviously, with all the comment about it, I guess this appearance thing is something Honda marketing has to take note of, even if they don't act on it, but I just don't get the complaint.

Yes, the Ridgeline shares a front end with its SUV analog. So do the equivalent full-sized Fords, Chevys, Toyotas and Nissans. It saves everybody money. The idea that the Ridgeline looks less beefy than the current Ranger at best subjective. The others are just more angular. I suppose you can say that it looks less Off-Roady than the Tacoma TRD or a Gladiator, but nobody really likes riding in those things for more than 5 minutes. I have Fords, Dodges and Nissans, and this truck looks just fine compared to any of them.

In the end, if the looks bother you this much, don't buy the truck. Go get another one. Just remember, you're not really going to be looking at it. You'll be looking out of it, and the Ridgeline is heads and shoulders above anyone else in this category.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This thread is changing my mind about this forum. Who cares if the guy wants to make his RL look a little tougher? I understand from the recent poll that there are a lot people that are 60 and over, but there are also some that are younger that would still like the idea of driving a vehicle that appeals to their sense of style while at the same time serving the functionality they require. I understand the internet is full of opinions but I though this forum was a place to come for people who enjoyed the RL whether it's a bone stock ride, lifted, lowered, or turbocharged. Take it easy folks, the guy was just asking for suggestions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This thread is changing my mind about this forum. Who cares if the guy wants to make his RL look a little tougher? I understand from the recent poll that there are a lot people that are 60 and over, but there are also some that are younger that would still like the idea of driving a vehicle that appeals to their sense of style while at the same time serving the functionality they require. I understand the internet is full of opinions but I though this forum was a place to come for people who enjoyed the RL whether it's a bone stock ride, lifted, lowered, or turbocharged. Take it easy folks, the guy was just asking for suggestions.
I'd hate it if you saw the other threads on this forum then 😅.

I think the truck looks fine with just a couple mods (roof rack, nerf bars, mud guards) but that is my opinion though.

Truck Pics

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Well said Pabowhunter!

Everything to do with looks and feel is a subjective thing and should very as much as there are people in the world. If someone likes the objective capabilities of the Gen2 but has a subjective style concern, this forum and this thread needs to be a safe place to ask owners and admirers for ideas. If you disagree with the whole idea of someone having desires to change how something looks, you need not comment. One of the things this form is about is to help one another and share ideas.

·
Registered
222 Posts
To add my two cents into this fray, when we see those other new trucks with their massive front ends I think my wife hits the nail right on the head where it reminds her of the insecure fellow that thinks he needs to stick a banana down the front of his pants.................

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It’s funny to see the polarization here. The internet has special way of making a good conversation quickly and profoundly divided into a ‘one idea vehemently opposed to another idea’ conversation. We’ve all looked at YouTube video of something completely harmless and then read 200 comments that sound like an all out race and religion war.

A lot of great ways to make the Ridgeline look great have been shared.

For all the ultra self assured folks out there chastising the superficial and meaningless way I walk through life concerned about looks... give the rest of us a break. Good ideas have been shared. If you so happy and content in your ways, why are you spending time reading this, and why are you commenting?

·
Registered
51 Posts
As I said before - I think the roof racks make a big difference. I have an appointment next week to vinyl wrap the chrome (chrome delete) in a black and I will eventually get a set of the oem rims that I have in the garage powder coated black. I think that beefs up the look quite a bit especially on the modern steel color.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Everyone has their own style so if you like the truck and can find way to make it your own than just do it, I did and I love it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ideas:

Put a huge "Punisher Skull" on the hood.
Maybe signage that says "Controlled Demolition Engineering Inc."
Mount 50 Cal in the bed.
Maybe a MAC/SOG sticker.
Grill guard
Running boards
All the above.

I have a metallic 82nd Airborne insignia. I was in the 82nd Airborne for 8 years. Maybe a 325 Airborne Infantry one to go with it. I'd suggest having been in the military before using any insignia. I've driven jeeps, hummers, gamma goats (and forded lakes with them, 2 1/2 ton Dueces so I've driven "real trucks."

Or go buy a Ranger, Taco or F-150 and live without the features you like about the Ridgeline and buy a truck based on the expectations of what other people think is masculine. The Ford's have cleaner lines than the Toyotas (which the entire fleet of Toyota's look like rejects from the 70's Battlestar Galactica.)

The Gen1's in my memory were "WTF" is that from other people? They were more "aggressive" looking than many of their competitors back then. Tacoma's had far "softer" lines. Is the Rivian tough looking? It's subjective. I think Ridgelines aren't comically "masculine." They are simply more conservative and won't look as dated in 10 years. I'm kinda glad Honda isn't following the crowd. I'm old enough to remember when cars didn't all look alike.

Now do a Google image search for "streamlined trucks" and think about all the really different trucks nobody ever said "Those aren't real trucks."

The only think that matters is the truck that's right for you, not anyone else.

You can throw money at anything to change the appearance. Pamela Anderson was a brunette with a small chest. She threw money at it. Now she's had a reduction. Times change and so do standards of beauty.

Think about it this way, Mary Ann could cook, clean, was active, cheerful and a small town girl. Ginger was hot in makeup and a dress but that was about all she had going for her. Go for the features. Not the looks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Your truck is the exact look I am going for! Is that a gloss vinyl wrap? Did you wrap the door handles too to get them black?
The door handles are Honda black , and the wrap is gloss I believe , def not flat black.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
JBees421, Here is another mod I noticed that seems to help change the vibe of the front-end of the Gen2, a simple black vinyl wrap on the chrome bar on top of the grille, as was done below by Logey22 on his 2019 RTL-E. To me, blacking-out the grille gives the Gen2 a slightly more rugged appearance (splashing through the mud helps as well, so...).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issues, but the truth is you are inside more than outside, and to be honest, once the conveniences like the trunk, ride, features get utilized more and more by you, you'll look at it on the outside and wonder how you didn't like the way it looks, because it looks great.

I know.. it's odd, but I had a bitchin tacoma, people thought I was crazy to sell it because it looked awesome, but it didn't ride like a RL or have a trunk, which I use a lot

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
It is the Mini-van colors that the Ridgeline comes in -
Paint it a Ram Truck color like Yellow or Red - not a mini van color.

Honda allows you lots of shades of white or black - red-grey silver-grey grey-grey
Yep - the color palete was picked by someone that is color blind.

·
Super Moderator
12,081 Posts
Yep - the color palete was picked by someone that is color blind.
...or by a highly intelligent market analyst who knows what colors are most popular and will hold their value the longest.

Want to guess how many Energy Green Pearl Ridgelines Honda would sell? ;)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
23 Participants
larryr
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing