Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many others have noted, the Ridgeline windshield is prone to cracks. Some are from stress related issues and defects in the quality of glass used. Others are from the position of glass to hood, as indicated by some members in related threads.

Today, I noticed a small imact mark on the driver side, near where inspection stickers go. In fact, the object hit the sticker and two very small but noticeable cracks extended towards the direction of the side mirror right up to the rubber seal. This is not something I feel requires total windshield replacement (I think) but I am wondering how they fix these things? Some insurance companies will forgo the deduct for this kind of repair rather than be out big bucks if it becomes larger and requires a windshield replacement (I have St. Farm and do not know what their policy is regarding this).

So, has anyone had a little crack repaired and if so, how is it done?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
For cracks less than one inch long, they use an epoxy sealer. More than that, it's unsafe, and they replace it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
shovelhd's right on the money. They use a syringe type injection device to push the epoxy into the seams of the crack and seal them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my experience, windshield repair is a misnomer. It is more a stop gap measure to prevent further cracking than a repair. My insurance company will pay for the repair if I don't get the windshield replaced, so I gave it a shot.

I was very unsatisfied with the results. I could see no visula difference in the star ding. It didn't spread in cold weather, probably due to them glueing the edges of the cracks together, but it still looks like a star ding.:mad:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Many years ago, I worked for a company called Novus, and, with their system, I could repair windshields to the point where bulls-eyes, star-cracks, and even longer straight cracks were almost invisible. What we would do is drill a small hole in the crack, vacuum the air out of the crack for about five minutes then inject epoxy-based resin into the crack so the vacuum pulled the epoxy into all of the recesses. After that we put a clear sealant on the outside of the hole making certain it was flush with the windshield. The only trouble we would sometimes have was when the crack was near the edge of the glass. Sometimes the crack would run in hot weather when we started to drill. Once the epoxy cured, I very rarely saw a crack spread.

·
Registered
733 Posts
In my experience, windshield repair is a misnomer. It is more a stop gap measure to prevent further cracking than a repair. My insurance company will pay for the repair if I don't get the windshield replaced, so I gave it a shot.

I was very unsatisfied with the results. I could see no visula difference in the star ding. It didn't spread in cold weather, probably due to them glueing the edges of the cracks together, but it still looks like a star ding.:mad:
Windshield repairs aren't done for cosmetic reasons. The problem with cracks is that structural rigidity of the entire body is diminished, so the repair is for correcting this.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I need the repair right now and I cannot find any of the shops that use to offer the service. In fact last time they came to my house and insurance paid for it. Now when I need them, I dont know where to look. The last time I needed them was over 5 years ago.:car004:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Apple Auto Glass does it! :act035:

They will tell you if the crack is too long or not!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I need the repair right now and I cannot find any of the shops that use to offer the service. In fact last time they came to my house and insurance paid for it. Now when I need them, I dont know where to look. The last time I needed them was over 5 years ago.:car004:

I would think your insurance company would provide you a number for repairs.
Call your agent.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Get this from your Local walmart. Ive used many times on numerous cars and it works very well. It fills in the crack and also prevents it from getting larger. But I wouldnt use it on a crack larger than 12 inches.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Does that stuff work as advertised? You know "invisible"?

I got stoned on the way to work this morning. Some might say that they do that every morning. But for me, even hour later, I'm still seeing stars.... but only when I look out my windshield. Two big ones slightly larger than a dime. If this stuff works I'm going to run to Walmart right now to fix this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It really does work, if you follow the instructions. I have done many windows. Here is what I found- The sooner you do it the better. If there is dirt or dust in the crack, it will show later. If you live in a moist environment, use a heat lamp. I live in Hawaii, but we have humid areas here. I once did a van in a very rainy rainforest area, and it didnt work out. Use a lamp in those conditions. If u have any questions, ask me. I know alot about this product. I am not affiliated with them in any way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts