Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you call your in-laws?

My fiancee and I are having a discussion on how we address each others in-laws after we get married.

please vote and comment

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was calling my mother-in-law "mom" before I got married and call her dad by his first name.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
210 Posts
I called them by their first names... now I just lay down flowers and say blessings... still using their first names.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Since you asked for comment...

a) Don't consult a group of strangers in order to decide how to address members of your family

b) Don't consult your spouse in order to decide how to address members of your family

c) Do consult the actual people you will be interacting with to inquire how they would prefer to be addressed

KeS

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
I call my in-laws by their first names. Sorry, but they are my wife's parents NOT mine. I ONLY called my mom and dad...well, mom and dad. Personally, I would feel totally uncomfortable calling anybody else's parents mom and dad.

Of course, the only thing that is important is what you feel comfortable with. If'n you wanna call your in-laws mom and dad, and it keeps the peace...then by all means, call them mom and dad.

Oh, and a quick piece of advice...move far enough away from them so a visit is a trip and not just a quick drive to the other side of town...you don't want them just popping in when you are having a "newlywed moment"...if you know what I mean (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). :act018:

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Since you asked for comment...

a) Don't consult a group of strangers in order to decide how to address members of your family

b) Don't consult your spouse in order to decide how to address members of your family

c) Do consult the actual people you will be interacting with to inquire how they would prefer to be addressed

KeS
+1 on this.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Charlie and Ethel.... But, that may not apply in your case. :act010:

It was never a point of discussion in our case. I went with what felt right. Chances are you will too.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I call mine the "Outlaws", since they live out of town! :act024:

Of course I call them by their name!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
My parents have passed on, so I call my wifes parents Mom and Dad.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
My parents have passed on, so I call my wifes parents Mom and Dad.
I'm in a similar situation, but tend to use their first names more.

Of course, if asking them for money it's, YES SIR! and YES MA'AM!! haha.. I don't think it will ever come to that. LOL!

·
Registered
662 Posts
By their first names to their face... I do however use other names for my mother in law, on occasion, when I am not in the same room with her. :act051:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I call her mom most of the time and Betty some of the time.

My mother is no longer with us so my mother-in-law is my mom now.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am blessed with cool inlaws. They get the Mom and Dad treatment, but I do add their last name to the Mom and Dad.

·
Registered
671 Posts
You will find, "hey you" will not work well. :act002:

Just kidding. I always addressed them by their first name.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I first started dating my wife 22 years ago my mother in law called my father in law Mr. so I thought that was cool so 22 years ago I started calling him Mr. As for my mother in law I asked her if I could call her Ma and she was flattered. Now they call me there adopted son. I think every situation is different and it is what a person is comfertable with.

·
Super Moderator
8,121 Posts
What do you call your in-laws?

My fiancee and I are having a discussion on how we address each others in-laws after we get married.

please vote and comment
I always start off with a very polite:

Before being married, it was hello Mrs. ...... and or Mr. ........

After getting married, a very polite:

Goodbye Ma'am and / or goodbye Sir :act010: have a wonderful trip :act029:

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
I always start off with a very polite:

Before being married, it was hello Mrs. ...... and or Mr. ........

After getting married, a very polite:

Goodbye Ma'am and / or goodbye Sir :act010: have a wonderful trip :act029:
Hmm, seems some slow degradation going on there... :)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The wife and I call them Awww-crapper one & Awww-crapper two because they are always complaining. :act062:

Oh Adressing them in person? It would be by first names...
Dating for nine years it was Mr & Mrs...

:act024:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
28 Participants
TruckOffRLBE-on
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing